"New Life" is the first episode of the seventh season of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D..
Coulson and the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. are thrust backward in time and stranded in 1931 New York City. With the all-new Zephyr set to time-jump at any moment, the team must hurry to find out exactly what happened. If they fail, it would mean disaster for the past, present and future of the world.
- Clark Gregg as Phil Coulson LMD
- Ming-Na Wen as Melinda May
- Chloe Bennet as Daisy Johnson/Quake
- Iain De Caestecker as Leo Fitz
- Elizabeth Henstridge as Jemma Simmons
- Henry Simmons as Alphonso Mackenzie
- Natalia Cordova-Buckley as Elena "Yo-Yo" Rodriguez
- Jeff Ward as Deke Shaw
- Joel Stoffer as Enoch
- Tobias Jelinek as Captain Terrence Luke and Luke
- Nora Zehetner as Viola
- Greg Finley as Tillman
- Luke Baines as Luke
- Patton Oswalt as Ernest Koenig
- Darren Barnet as Freddy Malick
- Joseph Culp as Franklin D. Roosevelt
- Karl Kwiatkowski as Patrolman Fischer
- Amos Glick as Waiter
- Mary Eileen O'Donnell as Stern Woman
Continuity and References to the Marvel Cinematic Universe
- Enoch appears.
- Captain Terrence Luke is introduced.
- Luke is introduced.
- Freddy Malick is introduced.
- Viola is introduced.
- Tillman is introduced.
- Ernest Hazard Koenig is introduced.
- Franklin D. Roosevelt is introduced.
- Phil Coulson is mentioned.
- Sarge is mentioned.
- Glenn Talbot is mentioned.
- Ghost Rider is mentioned.
- Leo Fitz is mentioned.
- Nick Fury is mentioned.
- The Super Soldier Serum that created Red Skull appears.
- Owen Shaw is mentioned.
- Gideon Malick is mentioned.
- Phil Coulson's Prosthetic Hand is mentioned.
- Framework is mentioned.
- Toolbox is mentioned.
- Kree is mentioned.
- Shrike is mentioned.
- Multiverse is mentioned.
- Lighthouse is mentioned.
- Chronyca-2 is mentioned.
- Project T.A.H.I.T.I. is mentioned.
- HYDRA is mentioned.
- Strategic Scientific Reserve is mentioned.
- The Ambush at the Lighthouse from "New Life" is mentioned.
- Freddy Malick is revealed to be the father of Gideon Malick.
- The title is a reference to FDR's famous United States reformation also called The New Deal. Coulson himself makes a "dad joke" about it during the episode.
- While the first unit was filming the scene in which the agents are walking down the New York streets, the second unit was shooting Quake's fight scene in the alley. Chloe Bennet had to run back and forth between the two units as she was in every shot of both scenes.
- The "New Deal" was a slate of reforms enacted to help the nation out of the economic crisis known as the Great Depression. Some of those reforms include:
- Income support for older and disabled persons (Social Security Insurance)
- Unemployment Insurance
- Farm subsidies
- Protection of banking deposits (Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation or FDIC)
- Regulation of security exchanges or finance industry ( Security Exchange Commission or SEC)
- Public Works ( Works Progress Administration)
- Early environmental conservation efforts - tree planting, soil preservation ( Civilian Conservation Corp or CCC)
- Efforts to prevent discrimination against African Americans in defense and government jobs ( Fair Employment Practices Committee or FEPC)
- This is the first episode of the last ever series of Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D. and has Clarke Gregg appeared as coulson once more however it's an L.M.D version of the character.
- President Franklin Roosevelt's wheelchair use was essentially kept a secret with the cooperation of the press at the time. This was possible because as shown, he managed to walk very short distances with assistance when essentially there was an expectation for him to walk.