"The Totally Excellent Adventures of Mack and the D" is the seventh episode of the seventh season of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D..
After being unexpectedly stranded in 1982, Mack retreats to his childhood home to process the death of his parents, while Deke gets to work scouting a chart-topping group of new agents. With no idea if or when the team is coming back for them, time seems to finally be on their side… at least until the killer robots show up.
- Clark Gregg as Phil Coulson LMD
- Ming-Na Wen as Melinda May
- Chloe Bennet as Daisy Johnson/Quake
- Iain De Caestecker as Leo Fitz
- Elizabeth Henstridge as Jemma Simmons
- Henry Simmons as Alphonso Mackenzie
- Unknown Actor as Young Alphonso Mackenzie (uncredited)
- Natalia Cordova-Buckley as Elena "Yo-Yo" Rodriguez
- Jeff Ward as Deke Shaw
- Jolene Andersen as Agent Olga Pachinko
- Austin Basis as Russell Feldman
- Ryan Donowho as Cricket
- Tipper Newton as Agent Roxy Glass
- Tamara Taylor as Sibyl
- Matt Yuan as Agent Ronny Chang
- John Yuan as Agent Tommy Chang
- Karl Girolamo as Chip Womack
- Lynden Orr as Tawni
- Azalea Davila as Bartender
- Lauren de Miranda as Genesis
- Marcus Jordan as Marcus Mackenzie
- Thomas E. Sullivan as Nathaniel Malick (uncredited)
- Unknown Actor as Young Ruben Mackenzie (uncredited)
Continuity and References to the Marvel Cinematic Universe
- Nathaniel Malick appears.
- Ruben Mackenzie appears.
- John Mackenzie is mentioned.
- Lilla Mackenzie is mentioned.
- Wilfred Malick is mentioned.
- Owen Shaw is mentioned.
- Mrs. Shaw is mentioned.
- Daisy Johnson is mentioned.
- Shotgun-Axe appears.
- Assassination of Wilfred Malick A Trout in the Milk is mentioned.
- Destruction of the Chronicom Ship from Adapt or Die is mentioned.
- The title of the episode is a reference to the 1989 film Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure.
- This was the first episode in which Chloe Bennet did not appear.
- As of this episode Clark Gregg is the only cast member to be in every episode of the show.
- The episode features many references to 80s media:
- The robots resemble Protector 1 and Johnny 5 from the 1986 films Chopping Mall and Short Circuit, respectively. Their glowing and moving optic uses the same effects and sound as the Cylon's 'eyes' on the original Battlestar Galactica series. Additionally they utter "Exterminate!" which was the catchphrase of the villainous Daleks from the long running sci-fi series Doctor Who.
- The introduction for the members of the Deke Squad is an homage to the intro sequence of The A-Team.
- Coulson's new form, a face on a computer with a rotating background, resembles 80's icon Max Headroom.
- The songs that the Deke Squad have ripped off include "Don't You (Forget About Me)" by Simple Minds, "Here I Go Again" by Whitesnake and "Walk Like an Egyptian" by The Bangles. The character Tawni may be a reference to Tawny Kitaen, who famously appeared in several of Whitesnake's music videos including "Here I Go Again" and was briefly married to their lead singer David Coverdale.
- Elizabeth Henstridge shadowed director Jesse Bochco for this episode.