- "There was an idea... called the Avengers Initiative. The idea was to bring together a group of of remarkable people to see if they could become something more. To see if they could work together when we needed them to, to fight the battles that we never could."
- ―Nick Fury to Tony Stark and Steve Rogers after Phil Coulson's death.[src]
The team currently consists of officially Iron Man and War Machine, while unofficially other members include Captain America, Black Widow, Rocket Raccoon, Hulk and Thor Odinson. The original team consisted of Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk, Thor, Black Widow and Hawkeye in The Avengers and Avengers: Age of Ultron, and shifted when Tony Stark, Thor, Clint Barton, and Bruce Banner/Hulk left the team after the events of Avengers: Age of Ultron. They were initially brought together by S.H.I.E.L.D. to combat Loki, Thor's adoptive brother. The team was initially formed by Nick Fury to "fight the battles that S.H.I.E.L.D. never could".
The Avengers were disbanded, due to the actions of Tony Stark; who betrayed his former team to enforce the Sokovia Accords, but a small group consisting of Captain America, Black Widow and Falcon continued to operate in the shadows.
In Avengers: Endgame, the Avengers with the help from Scott Lang was able to used the Pym Particles to travel into the past to retrieve the Infinity Stones and reverse the Decimation. The Avengers, along side the restored fallen Avengers, Masters of the Mystic Arts, the Guardians of the Galaxy, the armies of Wakanda and New Asgard and the Ravagers was finally able to defeat Thanos and his forces. However, the mission left both Tony Stark and Natalia Romanoff dead. Vision also remained dead as he was killed by Thanos before the Decimation.
Fury informs Stark that his Iron Man persona is assigned to the team, but due to certain conditions, Stark himself is deemed unsuitable. Stark agrees on the condition that Senator Stern present him and Col. Rhodes with their medals for bravery.
- "So, on the Council's orders, we have to send one of our people down to Ross to ask for Blonksy, who we don't even want?"
- ―Jasper Sitwell [src]
Nick Fury assembles the team when an unexpected threat associated with Thor's brother Loki and the Tesseract appears. The team initially have difficulty and refusal to obey each other; for example, Tony Stark is reluctant to working under the command of Captain America, Thor demands that Loki is his responsibility and the team is uncomfortable with the presence of Bruce Banner. When Loki attempts to destroy the team and promote his godlike supremacy to Earth in a public way, the Avengers depart from S.H.I.E.L.D.'s command and rally in defense of New York as it is invaded by the extraterrestrials known as the Chitauri. Captain America takes command of the team and they each work to suppress the invasion force. The Hulk beats Loki into submission and Iron Man sends a nuclear weapon fired by the World Security Council into the portal through which the aliens enter Earth and their fleet is destroyed, breaking the neural connection with their ground troops and instantly killing them. The team take Loki as their prisoner and Thor takes both Loki and the Tesseract back to Asgard. The team disbands but agrees to reassemble when another global threat requires their combined efforts.
The team was mentioned by Loki, who disguises himself as one of Thor's "new friends" Captain America.
The team are mentioned by the World Security Council and Wolfgang von Strucker. Several members, such as Tony, Bruce, and Steve, were targeted by Project Insight as potential threats to HYDRA and their new world order. Steve and Natasha, along with their allies Sam Wilson, Maria Hill, and Nick Fury, take down HYDRA, but also SHIELD as a result.
To be added
After the fall of S.H.I.E.L.D., Loki's Scepter fell into the hands of HYDRA. The threat it posed drew the Avengers back together in a desperate worldwide hunt. The Avengers had the financial backing of Tony Stark. Using the former Stark Tower, now renamed Avengers Tower, as their headquarters. After many months they tracked it to a HYDRA research facility run by Wolfgang von Strucker in Sokovia and launched an all out assault to recover it. The Avengers also noted that they were being harassed by two "enhanced" during the operation, but together with Stark's Iron Legion the team soon overthrew the HYDRA soldiers and reclaimed the sceptre. Tony appealed to Thor to have two days to study the alien device before it was relocated to Asgard, which Thor agreed to, and then the team unanimously agreed to celebrate their victory.
Back in New York at Avengers Tower, Tony began to unravel the mysteries of the sceptre. Tony and Bruce Banner discovered that its core held something akin to a powerful computer and deduced that HYDRA had been trying to use it to create artificial intelligence. With this knowledge he had the epiphany that he might be able to provide real adaptive thought to his Iron Legion in what he called his Ultron Program. He and Bruce then left J.A.R.V.I.S. to continue investigating while he rejoined his team for a night of celebration. The party was huge and the Avengers gathered many of their friends for the night. When the revelry had died down, and most of the guests had left, the remaining men took turns trying to lift Mjölnir. This activity was interrupted by the appearance of a wrecked Iron Legion drone. It quickly became apparent that this was being operated by a rogue artificial intelligence, and the name it claimed for itself was "Ultron". Ultron and a number of other Iron Legion drones, then attacked the small group. They rallied and beat it back, but not before one of the Iron Legion made off with the sceptre during the confusion. Thor promptly turned on Stark demanding to know why he had created such a thing, to which Tony pointed out that they needed a way to deal with threats on the scale of the Chitauri.
The Avengers traced Ultron's movements to a salvage yard on the coast of Africa where Ulysses Klaue dealt in the lucrative end of black market trading. So began a three way battle between Klaue's men after Ultron severed his arm, the Avengers, and the Ultron Sentries. Ultron also had the advantage of the pair of enhanced that the Avengers had encountered in Sokovia, the siblings Wanda and Pietro Maximoff. Pietro's speed allowed him to devastate the ranks of Klaue's men, while Wanda ravaged the minds of the Avengers themselves. When she at last reached Banner, her illusions caused him to fly into a rage that he then directed towards the populace of Johannesburg, and then she Ultron and Pietro made their escape. With most of the Avengers out of action fighting their own inner demons, Tony was left to attend to the problem of a rampaging Hulk on his own. He asked Veronica, a shuttle that could deploy numerous pieces of a heavy duty Iron Man armor. Tony in the Hulkbuster Armor afforded him the physical power to subdue the Hulk, but the public relations damage had been done, leaving Bruce in a morose state. Clint Barton took the group to a safehouse to recover, soon revealing that it was actually his family home. There they met Nick Fury, who began reorienting their thinking and fomenting new strategic considerations within the shattered ranks. Banner and Romanoff had both been psychologically scarred by their encounter Wanda and contemplated simply leaving. Tensions ran high between Tony and Steve Rogers, and Thor had been given a glimpse of something very troubling and departed the group to investigate further.
Ultron's plan to use the sceptre to create a final evolutionarily pure form for himself had become clear, and the last piece of that puzzle was with Dr. Helen Cho in South Korea. They raced for Seoul, and found Ultron deep into an attempt to load his consciousness into a new android body. Their interference forced Ultron to flee, but the group managed to separate the android body from the robot before he escaped again, and Stark, and Barton, took it back to New York. Rogers on the other hand, found himself joined by the Maximoff twins on the street of Seoul after Wanda had discovered Ultron's true intent. Romanoff had not been so lucky, and having been rendered unconscious in the confrontation soon found herself imprisoned by Ultron in Sokovia. Once they were back in New York, Stark and Banner bickered over the android body. Stark wanted to load J.A.R.V.I.S. into it, but Banner didn't trust his judgement. The dispute continued until it was interrupted by the arrival of Rogers and the Maximoff twins, whereupon Pietro ended it by simply unplugging the entire system. Then Thor made a surprise appearance and promptly bathed the android in lightning. It awoke in the surge and cast him aside. The Avengers and the Maximoff twins all moved to counter the android but halted when it stopped by a window to gaze out upon the city. It quickly became apparent that the android was no threat, especially fostering trust in Thor when it hefted Mjolnir with ease. The assembled group then compared stories, and Thor reported news of his vision that the energy core of the sceptre had actually contained the Mind Stone, an item of incredible power and one of the legendary Infinity Stones. That gem was now resting in the forehead of the android, which soon began referring to itself as Vision.
The Avengers and their three allies turned their attention back to Ultron and Sokovia. Banner went alone to extract Romanoff from her prison, and the others faced off against Ultron. While Ultron's plan to divide and exterminate the Avengers had failed, its plans for the human race were about to be fully revealed. Devices planted within the city engaged, drawing a sizeable portion of it into the sky. The assembled heroes, with Banner and Romanoff back amongst them, fought back against the amassed ranks of Ultron's robot legion. James Rhodes, suited up as War Machine, and a recently repaired helicarrier with him, also eventually joined the battle. After clearing most of the Ultron robots from the city now risen above the cloud layer, the heroes began evacuating the trapped populace in personnel transports sent from the helicarrier. Barton was caught under the guns of the Avengers' own quinjet however, with Ultron at the controls, and only the intervention of Pietro saved him. Pietro had saved both Barton and a boy with this final act, but at the cost of his own life when the quinjet's gunfire tore through his chest. The Vision finally confronted Ultron alone after the Hulk had flung the robot from the quinjet. Heavily damaged, Ultron was no match for the android, and fell to the Vision's power. With Ultron's defeat, the group began an inevitable dissolution. The Hulk switched off the quinjet's communications, leaving it to fly him clear of the scene. Thor and Stark each had their own agendas to pursue, with Thor needing to investigate the matter of yet another Infinity Stone coming within reach. Barton meanwhile had a new baby to attend to and left to return to his family.
Despite their losses, the Avengers were also to be born anew. Steve and Romanoff proceeded to a new Avengers facility in New York, and welcomed a new quartet to the fold. They were joined by the Vision, Wanda Maximoff, James Rhodes aka War Machine, and Steve's recent companion, Sam Wilson aka the Falcon.
When Henry Pym was debriefing Scott Lang about his mission, Scott remarked that they should call in the Avengers. Hank scoffed at the idea, claiming that they were probably too busy "dropping cities out of the sky". Later in order to ensure the accomplishment of the heist, Hank requires a device he had constructed for S.H.I.E.L.D. that lay in storage in what he knew to be an abandoned Stark Industries warehouse in Upstate New York. Ant-Man is sent in to retrieve the package only to make a unexpected discovery upon arrival that the warehouse had become the New Avengers Facility where he encounters Falcon and engages in battle against him, while managing to acquire the device.
- "I'm trying to keep you from tearing the Avengers apart.
You did that when you signed."
- ―Iron Man plea of reasoning with Captain America, and Cap's response.[src]
Wanda tries to contain the blast of the explosion by creating a energy shield and launching it into the sky. Unfortunately the blast goes off upon a nearby building killing innocent Wakandain representatives. As a result of this international incident. The Governments of the World issue a new mandate called the Sokovia Accords satiating governmental oversight over The Avengers.
Former general Thaddeus Ross, now the Secretary of State visits the Avengers at their headquarters to deliver the accords to them and stipulates that either they sign or they retire. The Team is divided on the issue with both Tony and Steve on opposite side of disagreement regarding the ramification of the accords. Steve is against the accords because he feels this will infringe on the teams ability to be free to respond to crisis immediately. Tony is for the accords because he believes that they need to be put in check by accepting boundaries so they don't become as bad as the advisories they face.
The team come to blows physical in Germany at an abandoned airport: Team Captain America (Winter Soldier, Falcon, Scarlet Witch, Hawkeye and newly recruited Ant-Man). Team Iron Man (War Machine, Vision, Black Widow; who was later revealed to be on Captain America's side the entire time) and two new additions (Black Panther and Spider-Man) battle it out in a colossal showdown.
More to be added
Wong mentions that the Avengers protect the world from physical threats, while the sanctum protects the world from spiritual threats.
Spider-Man attempts to prove to Tony constantly that he is worthy of being an Avenger but ends up needlessly risking innocent lives and his own and thus he is denied membership. Later on, Peter proves himself to Tony and is offered a spot on the team and a room next to Vision, but he refuses, deciding to stay grounded until he is ready.Asgard, killing many including Loki. Heimdall is able to send Hulk to Earth before being killed to alert the planet of the incoming threat. He lands at the New York Sanctum, where he meets and warns Stephen Strange and Wong of the incoming threat. They get Tony Stark and explain the situation to him; That Thanos is finally coming. They ask Tony where Vision is, but Tony reveals that Vision has been missing and only Steve Rogers could find him. Before he can decide if he should or shouldn't call him, a ship arrives over New York, bringing Ebony Maw and Cull Obsidian. The duo attack Tony and the group, and while Peter Parker arrives to help, they are split, with Strange and Peter being captured and Tony chases after them while Wong and Bruce remain on Earth. Bruce calls Cap while Wong stays to protect the sanctum.
Vision and Wanda wake to the stone trying to warn Vision of the danger. They are attacked in Scotland by Proxima Midnight and Corvus Glaive. Corvus stabs Vision and tries to remove the stone while Proxima tries to distract Wanda but Wanda is able to save Vision but they become cornered by the two. Suddenly, Steve appears with Sam and Natasha to save them. They greatly wound Corvus and disarm Proxima, forcing them to flee. Steve then decides to fly them back to the New Avengers facility. There they interrupt a meeting between Rhodey and Ross. Cap says they're here to fight after Earth loses its best defender. Ross orders Rhodes to arrest them but he doesn't. They meet up with Bruce to decide what to do. Vision wants to destroy the stone but Steve refuses. Bruce figures they might be able to save Vision and destroy the stone at once.
Meanwhile in space, Maw tortures Strange in order for him to give up the time stone. Peter tells Tony to blast the ship open so that it sucks Maw out, as he's too powerful to handle alone. This succeeds and they decide to take the fight to Thanos rather than going back to Earth to wait for him in order to surprise Thanos. Tony then knights Peter as an Avenger. They arrive on Titan, Thanos' homeworld. There, they are ambushed by the Guardians of the Galaxy; Peter Quill, Drax, and Mantis. After a standoff, they realize they're both there to defeat Thanos. The two groups decide to work together and form a plan.Meanwhile on Earth, Steve's Avengers arrive at Wakanda, where they are welcomed by T'Challa, Okoye, Ayo, and Bucky, who is now much better mentally. They take Vision to Shuri, who begins to operate to get the stone safely out of his head but Proxima and Cull Obsidian arrive with an army of Outriders. In response, The Avengers meet up with Wakanda's forces (the Dora Milaje, Border Tribe warriors, the Jabari Tribe and the King's Guard) to meet these forces. Bruce suits up in the Hulkbuster armor, joining the forces. They open the shield protecting Wakanda and their combined forces attempt to push the Outriders back but are over powered. Luckily, Thor arrives with Groot and Rocket and a new weapon; Stormbreaker! This evens out the playing field and draws the battle to a stale mate. On Titan, Thanos arrives and meets Doctor Strange. Strange is able to distract Thanos Tony piles debree onto him, which Thanos turns into bats that attack Tony. Spider-Man blinds Thanos and Drax and Strange fight the purple menace. Thanos kicks Drax aside and rips off the web around his face. Star-Lord, aided by Strange, plants a bomb on Thanos' back, which blows up. Strange's cape then closes around Thanos' gauntlet and Spider-Man attack, only to be thrown aside. Tony returns and bombards Thanos, who fires back. Spider-Man stops him but is punched away. Nebula suddenly arrives, ramming her ship directly into Thanos. She attacks him but he tosses her aside. The Avengers and Guardians make their move and Strange wraps Thanos' hand while Drax grabs his feet. Star-Lord traps his other hand while Spider-Man wraps him up and Mantis puts him to rest, though he struggles to stay under. Tony and Spider-Man try to take the gauntlet off while Star-Lord questions Thanos about Gamora. He finds out that he killed her and attacks Thanos, allowing Thanos to escape and launch Titan's moon onto them.
On Earth, Shuri works hard to get the stone out while the Avengers and Wakanda's forces fend off the Outriders. Thanos' forces launch giant wheeled vehicles to decimate their forces, but the wheels are partly taken out by Wanda. Corvus then attacks Ayo and Shuri in an attempt to get the mind stone, killing two guards in the process and knocking Ayo and Shuri out. Vision then attacks Corvus. Sam sees this and alerts the team but he and Steve are attacked, preventing them from helping. Wanda goes to help, but is trapped by Proxima, who tries to kill her but is saved by Okoye and Natasha. Wanda then sends Proxima into a wheeled vehicle, splitting her into pieces. Bruce goes to help Vision but is attacked by Cull Obsidian. After failing to get help from Hulk, Bruce defeats and kills Cull. Vision meanwhile is nearly killed by Corvus but he's saved by Cap, who suddenly appears. Vision then stabs Corvus in the back with his own weapon.Spider-Man saves the Guardians on Titan while Strange and Thanos duel, resulting in Strange's defeat. Before he is killed, Tony steps in his way. Tony unleashes everything he has but Thanos destroys hims armor and stabs him. Strange then offers the Time Stone in return for saving Tony. Thanos takes the stone and leaves. On Wakanda, the battle is won as Thanos' forces are in full retreat. Thanos arrives and the Avengers attack, but in vain as he defeats them. Bruce is transported inside a mountain, T'Challa and Cap are knocked aside, Sam is shot out of the air, War Machine's armor becomes crippled, Bucky is pushed aside, Okoye's attack is blocked, Natasha is trapped in a stone prison, and Groot tries to trap him but he breaks through. Steve tries again to stop Thanos, even being able to hold him back, but he is knocked out. Wanda destroys the Mind stone and Vision, but Thanos reverses time and rips the stone out of his head, completing the gauntlet. Thor then arrives and nearly kills Thanos but Thor's arrogance gets the best of him and Thanos snaps half the universe's population away, including fellow members and allies such as Bucky, Sam, Wanda, Strange, T'Challa, Groot, Nick Fury, Maria Hill, Shuri, Star-Lord, Drax, Mantis, and Spider-Man, leaving the remaining members to morn their fallen teammates and regret their losses.
The Avengers were gathering the losses worldwide and realized Nick Fury's pager stopped working. Steve ordered it to be rebooted, however as they turn around they see Carol Danvers standing behind them, asking "where's Fury?"
Five years later, many of the Avengers had left their separate paths. Tony started a family, Steve helps people deal with the dramatic loss, Clint takes down criminal organizations viciously, and Bruce made peace with the Hulk. Natasha now runs the Avengers and is in communication with Wakanda (via Okoye) and the galaxy at large (via Carol, Rocket, and Nebula) dealing with problems around the world. During a visit with Steve, Scott Lang, who was believed dead, showed up and gave them an idea on how to save everyone through the quantum realm and time travel.
The Avengers team
- Steve Rogers/Captain America (leader)
- Tony Stark/Iron Man (second-in-command)
- Thor Odinson (leaves to return to Asgard and to imprison Loki)
- Bruce Banner/Hulk
- Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow
- Clint Barton/Hawkeye
- Steve Rogers/Captain America (leader)
- Tony Stark/Iron Man (second-in-command; leaves team to be with Pepper)
- Thor Odinson (leaves to find the Infinity Stones)
- Bruce Banner/Hulk (leaves in Hulk form to be in peace, later arrives on Sakaar)
- Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow (Becomes second-in-command)
- Clint Barton/Hawkeye (leaves to be with his family in retirement)
- Wanda Maximoff/Scarlet Witch (Initially a foe, joins the team to make up for her mistakes)
- Pietro Maximoff/Quicksilver (joins briefly; is killed by Ultron)
- James Rhodes/War Machine
- Sam Wilson/Falcon
Captain America: Civil War (Government team)
- Tony Stark/Iron Man (leader; Joins in order to keep The Avengers from splitting apart and incarcerated)
- Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow (second-in-command; Later switches sides to join Steve)
- James Rhodes/War Machine
- T'Challa/Black Panther (Joined to get revenge for his father, later leaves to take the mantle of king in his homeland)
- Peter Parker/Spider-Man (Test trial rather than a full member)
Captain America: Civil War (Secret Avengers)
- Steve Rogers/Captain America (leader)
- Sam Wilson/Falcon (second-in-command)
- Clint Barton/Hawkeye (Comes out of retirement at the request of Cap but leaves to protect his family)
- Wanda Maximoff/Scarlet Witch
- Bucky Barnes/Winter Soldier
- Scott Lang/Ant-Man (Leaves to protect his family)
Avengers: Infinity War (Titan group)
- Tony Stark/Iron Man (leader)
- Peter Parker/Spider-Man (Becomes an official member, is erased by Thanos)
- Stephen Strange/Doctor Strange (erased by Thanos)
Avengers: Infinity War (Wakanda group)
- Steve Rogers/Captain America (leader)
- Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow (second-in-command)
- Sam Wilson/Falcon (erased by Thanos)
- Wanda Maximoff/Scarlet Witch (erased by Thanos)
- Bucky Barnes/Winter Soldier (erased by Thanos)
- James Rhodes/War Machine
- Bruce Banner (Unable to turn into Hulk, instead adopts the Hulkbuster armor)
- Thor Odinson
- Vision (killed by Thanos)
- Steve Rogers/Captain America (leader; retires to live a peaceful life)
- Tony Stark/Iron Man (second-in-command; sacrifices himself to destroy Thanos)
- Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow (Sacrificed herself to get the Soul Stone)
- Thor Odinson (leaves to join the Guardians of the Galaxy)
- Bruce Banner/Hulk
- Clint Barton/Hawkeye/Ronin
- James Rhodes/War Machine/Iron Patriot
- Pepper Potts/Rescue
- Nebula (leaves to join the Guardians of the Galaxy)
- Rocket (leaves to rejoin the Guardians of the Galaxy)
- Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel
- Scott Lang/Ant-Man
- Samuel Wilson/Falcon (revived by Bruce Banner)
- Wanda Maximoff/Scarlet Witch (revived by Bruce Banner)
- Bucky Barnes/Winter Soldier (revived by Bruce Banner)
- Peter Parker/Spider-Man (revived by Bruce Banner)
- Stephen Strange/Doctor Strange (revived by Bruce Banner)
- Hope van Dyne/The Wasp (revived by Bruce Banner)
- T'Challa/Black Panther (revived by Bruce Banner)
- Guardians of the Galaxy
- Sharon Carter (CIA liason)
- Joint Counter Terrorist Center
- Everett Ross (ally of Iron Man's faction, enemy of Captain America's faction)
- Thaddeus Ross (ally of Iron Man's faction, enemy of Captain America's faction)
- Helen Cho
- Loki Laufeyson (killed by Thanos)
- Ultron (destroyed by Vision)
- Ultron Sentinels (destroyed by the Avengers)
- Ulysses Klaue (killed by N'Jadaka)
- Thaddeus Ross (ally of Iron Man's faction, enemy of Captain America's faction)
- Helmut Zemo (incarcerated)
- Adrian Toomes/Vulture (highjacked delivery from Avengers Tower to the New Avengers Facility; incarcerated)
- Thanos' army
- Quentin Beck/Mysterio
Behind the scenes
- Joss Whedon talked about the power levels of the various Avengers: "I had to find a way to service all the characters, to figure out why they're in the room in the first place. My biggest concern was that if I didn't pay enough attention to minutiae then the film would become generic in its concepts and visuals. Or that I'd be so concentrated on those things, I'd look around and the film wouldn't be about anything".
- On the action scenes and what Whedon terms "the hierarchy of power". "If this guy hits someone, he falls down. If this guy hits someone, he flies backwards. Its very complicated".
- Whedon commented on Mark Ruffalo's 'Hulk' actions: "It's fun to say that Mark Ruffalo and I fought a great deal, because he's the sweetest man that I may ever have met. Yes, we did actually lay out some mats and tussle but just trying to figure out what the Hulk would be doing, what a person does in a real fight. Once he gets angry you have to keep asking "well what's making him angry now..." and go moment-to-moment. That's been the hardest thing in this movie. Mark is tremendous, I think he's going to blow people away - again - and we've gone where nobody has. We [have] Hulk in the house and everything pisses him off".
- The roster of the team is similar to that of the Ultimates roster in the comic book miniseries The Ultimates. The Ultimates were conceived as the Ultimate Marvel Universe's equivalent of the mainstream Avengers. The Avengers of the Marvel Cinematic Universe bear a strong resemblance to the Ultimates in that they were formed by S.H.I.E.L.D. as a government-sponsored team to combat the threat of the Chitauri. Like in The Ultimates 2, the team leaves S.H.I.E.L.D. employ and becomes independent.
- The speech in the first teaser trailer was taken from the introduction of many Avengers comic books since the 1970s. In the TV series The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, the new intro features Nick Fury stating a speech similar to this one.
- The movie's roster is seen in the next animated series Avengers Assemble with Falcon joining the roster.
- With Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch appearing in Avengers: Age of Ultron, the roster continues to closely follow the comics as they both joined The Avengers along-side Captain America and Hawkeye (both of whom are founding members in the first film) after the original lineup disbanded, thus forming the second.
- Unlike most of the traditional superheroes; most members of the Avengers don't have secret identities.