|Appeared in|| Captain America: The Winter Soldier|
Captain America: Civil War
Brock Rumlow was a highly trained S.H.I.E.L.D. agent who was the team operative of the sub-blackops division known as Strike. He was revealed to be a sleeper agent for HYDRA, and later became the terrorist known as Crossbones.
Battle of New York
Brock Rumlow and his Strike team arrived at Stark Tower, following Loki's defeat by the Avengers, to retrieve the Chitauri Scepter and take it to Dr. List and Baron von Strucker.
During one operation, Rumlow assisted Captain America and Black Widow in the recovery of the stolen Zodiac weapon and the apprehension of the terrorists that stole it.
Rumlow and the Strike team, accompanied Captain Rogers and agent Romanoff on a mission to the Indian Ocean to rescue a S.H.I.E.L.D's ship the Lemurian Star from the Algerian pirate Georges Batroc. After the mission, Nick Fury became suspicious of Project Insight, which unknown to him was HYDRA's plot to use a fleet of Helicarriers to kill millions of individuals targeted by an algorithm designed by Arnim Zola to select potential threats to global stability. Once the Winter Soldier (apparently) killed Fury, Alexander Pierce, the highest-ranking HYDRA agent within S.H.I.E.L.D, had Rumlow and Strike spearhead the operation to bring in Steve Rogers. However, a surprise attack on Rogers in an elevator at the Triskelion failed, allowing Rogers to get away. Strike were later able to capture Rogers and his comrades Natasha Romanoff and Samuel Wilson after a fight with the Winter Soldier, although the three were again able to escape captivity with the help of Maria Hill. During Rogers' attack on the Insight Helicarriers, Rumlow attempted to stop Natasha and Fury, only to encounter Sam Wilson. The two engaged in a visceral fight, ending in Wilson escaping from a window as a Helicarrier rammed into the Triskelion, destroying the building. Rumlow was recovered by paramedics, badly burned and wounded.
Rumlow had escaped from prison and began a career as a mercenary.
- "There you are, you son of a bitch! I've been waiting for this!"
- ―Brock Rumlow[src]
In 2012, the Avengers created an alternate timeline in which they encountered Brock Rumlow.
A highly trained operative on S.H.I.E.L.D.'s counter-terrorism Strike team, Rumlow was an excellent soldier and often battled side-by-side with Captain America, for whom he had great respect. Rumlow was eventually revealed to be a HYDRA supporter under the order of Alexander Pierce, and attempted multiple times to apprehend Captain Rogers and Natalia Romanoff.
Rumlow showed to be a loyal HYDRA agent. He will go to extreme lengths for HYDRA, as when he threatened to kill the man in control of the Insight Helicarriers launch sequence. However, after his battle with Sam Wilson, which resulted in the Triskelion collapsing on him, Rumlow was heavily injured. This caused him to become bloodthirsty and vengeful.
Powers and Abilities
- High Tolerance for Pain: The burns Rumlow sustained in the Triskellion collapse resulted in nerve damage that allowed him to withstand direct blasts from Black Widow's bite.
- Master Hand-To-Hand Combatant: Rumlow was a highly accomplished hand-to-hand combatant. He was able to hold his own against Steve for the longest whilst the Strike team failed to capture him in the elevator, hitting him the most before getting overpowered. He also was able to dominate Sam Wilson throughout the entirety of their clash, even mocking him for his inferior fighting skills, not getting hit even once except when Sam caught him by surprise, before the collapse of the Triskellion. During his attack in Lagos, Rumlow was able to surprise and best Black Widow and stand toe-to-toe with Captain America for a considerable length of time with his armored suit.
- Expert Stick Fighter: Rumlow was shown to be expert in using his own weapon, Taser Rod, as when he fight with Captain America during the Hydra Uprising, he managed to hit him twice.
- Expert Marksman: Rumlow was a very accurate marksman and skilled in sharpshooting.
- Skilled Tactician: Rumlow was a skilled tactician, leading both S.H.I.E.L.D.'s Strike team and later his own band of mercenaries.
- Steve Rogers/Captain America - Ally turned enemy.
- Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow - Ally turned enemy; deceased.
- Sam Wilson/Falcon - Enemy.
- Nick Fury - Boss turned enemy.
- Sharon Carter/Agent 13 - Enemy.
- Alexander Pierce - Boss; deceased.
- Jack Rollins - Ally; deceased.
- Bucky/Winter Soldier - Ally through brainwashing.
- Wanda Maximoff/Scarlet Witch - Enemy and killer.
- Marvel Cinematic Universe (2 films)
- Marvel Cinematic Universe (4 comics)
Behind the scenes
- Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Kevin Durand and Josh Holloway screen-tested for the role of Rumlow.
- In spite of the character's apparent suicide bombing in Civil War, Frank Grillo indicated that we haven't seen the last of the character; addressing his short filming schedule prior to the film's release. He appeared again in Avengers: Endgame.
- Rumlow was originally planned to survive the events in Lagos, with Captain America slamming his head into a wall to render him unconscious (while also damaging his helmet). Rumlow would have been be incarcerated in a scene introducing audiences to the Raft. While the scene was cut due to scheduling conflicts with Frank Grillo's television show Kingdom, it can be seen in the tie-in story books, while Funko Pop and Dorbz figures of Crossbones were released with broken helmet variants.
- Rumlow's outfit towards the end of Captain America: The Winter Soldier is similar to his Crossbones outfit, with his dual holsters invoking the crossbones logo.
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Concept Art, Promotional and Filming
Captain America: Civil War Prelude
To be added