- "You know this plastic prison of theirs won't hold me forever. The war is still coming, Charles. And I intend to fight it, by any means necessary."
The Brotherhood of Mutants are a group of mutants who believe that mutants are superior to humans. The group was formed by Magneto due to his belief that if mutants did not defend themselves, they would be wiped out by humans.
The original leader of the team was Magneto, a mutant with the ability to control magnetic fields. It would later be revealed that Magneto was a Holocaust survivor, explaining his distrust of humanity and its inability to accept those who are different.
- "I've been at the mercy of men just following orders. Never again."
In 1963, The Brotherhood Members Azazel and Angel Salvadore (who took the name Tempest) died in a firefight while fighting with Project Wideawake. Magneto was captured by the government and was taken to a plastic prison when he was trying to save John F. Kennedy who was being assassinated by Lee Harvey Oswald. Magneto also mentioned that Emma Frost and Banshee was killed and experimented by Bolivar Trask. After Magneto's capture. Mystique went solo and traveled the world to assist mutants. She had found out what Trask was doing and went on a worldwide search for him and freed as many mutants as she could from his wraith.
Mystique finds and kills Trask at the Paris peace conference. However, the outcome was one she never expected as she was captured by Styrker and was tortured and experimented on.
Magneto and Mystique were later either broken out of their prisons or were released.
- "Welcome to the future."
- "How does it look from there Charles? Still fighting the good fight? From here it looks like they're not playing by your rules... Maybe it's time to play by theirs!"
- "It's only that you realize, while you were talking about organizing and committees, the extermination has already begun. Make no mistake, my brothers. They will draw first blood. They will force their cure upon us. The only question is, will my brotherhood and fight, or wait for the inevitable genocide? Who will you stand with - the humans... or us?"
After Jean Grey had come to Genosha and nearly killed a squad of soldiers who had come to arrest her along with discovering from Hank McCoy that Jean had killed Mystique. Erik reformed the Brotherhood of Mutants consisting of himself and fellow mutants Selene Gallio and Ariki along with Hank who also wanted revenge for Ravens death with the goal of killing Jean.
Tracking Jean to New York City thanks to Selene the group were confronted by Charles Xavier and the X-Men. While Charles tried to talk Erik and Hank out of killing Jean, Erik was not willing to listen and as a result a fight began between the two factions until the Mutant Control Unit arrived and detained all the mutants by outfitting them with Mutant Inhibitor Collars. On a train to a containment facility Charles and Scott Summers managed to convince Erik and Hank that killing Jean would not be what Raven would wanted as the alien beings known as the D'Bari attacked the train seeking Jeans cosmic power known as the Phoenix.
Touched and convinced by their words Erik and the Brotherhood of Mutants stood by the X-Men as the fought the D'Bari in order to protect Jean. During the battle both Selene and Ariki were killed leaving Erik the only survivor. Although their sacrifice was not in vain as Jean would go on to slay the remaining D'Bari, including their leader Vuk.
- Homosapiens are inferior.
- "The Cure" is a way to suppress rather than help mutants.
- Magneto (A former member of Division X and the X-Men)
- Mystique (A former member of Division X and the X-Men)
- Azazel (Deceased, A former member of the Hellfire Club)
- Riptide (Unknown, A former member of the Hellfire Club)
- Tempest (Deceased, A former member of Division X and the Hellfire Club)
- Emma Frost (Deceased, A former member of the Hellfire Club)
- Mystique (Depowered)
- Pyro (A former student of Charles Xavier)
- Multiple Man (Arrested by U.S. Army troops)
- Arclight (Deceased)
- Callisto (Deceased)
- Quill (Deceased)
- Psylocke (Possibly deceased)
- Jean Grey/Phoenix (Deceased, A former member of the X-Men)
- Phat (Deceased)
- Spike (Deceased)
- Anole (Depowered)
- Glob Herman (Depowered, Powers possibly restored)
- Dominikos Petrakis (Unknown)
Allies and Enemies
- X-Men - Enemies turned allies turned enemies again.
- Stryker - Enemy.
- Warren Worthington II - Enemy.
- Leech - Enemy.
Behind the scenes
To be added
- In X-Men: First Class, Magneto forms the Brotherhood with Mystique, Emma Frost, Angel, Riptide, and Azazel. Riptide is the only mutant whose fate is unknown.
- During the ambush of Alcatraz in X-Men: The Last Stand, several of the unnamed mutants in the ambush are seen with Rhinoceros-like horns, glowing eyes, regenerating limbs, and multiplying abilities (not to be confused with Multiple Man).