Read on only if you don't mind reading spoilers for the film.
|Director:|| Anna Boden|
|Writer(s):|| Screenplay by:|
|Release Date:||March 8, 2019|
|Running Time:||124 mins|
Captain Marvel is the twenty-first film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe set in the 1990s and telling Captain Marvel's origin.
In 1995, on the Kree Empire's capital planet of Hala, Starforce member Vers suffers from recurring nightmares involving an older woman. Yon-Rogg, her mentor and commander, trains her to control her abilities while the Supreme Intelligence, an artificial intelligence and the ruler of the Kree, urges her to keep her emotions in check.
During a mission to rescue an undercover operative infiltrating a group of Skrulls, alien shapeshifters with whom the Kree are at war, Vers is captured by Skrull commander Talos, taken aboard their Earth-bound vessel, and subjected to a memory probe. Vers manages to escape, crashlanding in Los Angeles. Her presence attracts S.H.I.E.L.D. agents Nick Fury and Phil Coulson, whose investigation is interrupted by a Skrull attack. In the ensuing chase, Vers recovers a crystal containing her extracted memories while Fury kills a Skrull impersonating Coulson. Talos, disguised as S.H.I.E.L.D. Director Keller, orders Fury to work with Vers on the condition he does it alone in the event of other Skrull imposters.
Fury takes Vers to a U.S. Air Force base and discovers she was a pilot presumed to have died in 1989 while testing an experimental engine designed by a Dr. Wendy Lawson, whom Vers recognizes as the woman from her nightmares. A S.H.I.E.L.D. team led by Talos tries to capture them, but they escape in a cargo jet, with Lawson's cat Goose and fly to Louisiana to meet former pilot Maria Rambeau, the last person to see Vers and Lawson alive.
Talos arrives at the Rambeau house just as Vers discovers her real name is Carol Danvers. He reveals the Skrulls are refugees searching for a new home and Lawson was a renegade Kree scientist helping them. He then plays the recovered black box from Lawson's plane, prompting Danvers to remember the day of the crash: Lawson died at Yon-Rogg's hands while attempting to destroy the engine's energy-core, forcing Danvers to do so at the cost of absorbing the energy from the ensuing explosion and losing her memories.
After convincing Danvers to help him, Talos leads her, Fury and Rambeau to a cloaked space cruiser orbiting Earth, where several Skrulls, including his family, are protecting the Tesseract, the source of the energy-core. Starforce captures Danvers and brings her before the Supreme Intelligence. During their conversation, Danvers removes a Kree implant that was suppressing her powers, allowing her to access all her abilities. During the subsequent battle, Fury retrieves the Tesseract and Goose, who is revealed to be an alien with a pocket dimension inside her body, swallows it before scratching Fury's left eye and permanently blinding him. Danvers destroys ballistic missiles fired by Kree official Ronan the Accuser, forcing him and his forces to retreat, before overpowering Yon-Rogg on Earth and sending him back to Hala with a warning to the Supreme Intelligence.
Danvers departs to help the Skrulls find a new homeworld, giving Fury a modified pager to contact her in an emergency. Meanwhile, Fury drafts an initiative aimed at locating heroes like her and changes the name after finding a photo of Danvers in her Air Force jet, which bears the call sign "Avenger".
In a mid-credits scene set in the present day, the pager, which Fury activated prior to his disintegration, is monitored by Steve Rogers, Natasha Romanoff, Bruce Banner, and James Rhodes when Danvers appears and demands to know Fury's whereabouts.
In a post-credits scene set in 1995, Goose climbs onto Fury's desk and regurgitates the Tesseract.
- Brie Larson as Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel
- Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury
- Ben Mendelsohn as Talos/Keller
- Djimon Hounsou as Korath the Pursuer
- Lee Pace as Ronan the Accuser
- Lashana Lynch as Maria Rambeau
- Gemma Chan as Minn-Erva
- Annette Bening as Mar-Vell/Wendy Lawson and Supreme Intelligence
- Clark Gregg as Phil Coulson
- Jude Law as Yon-Rogg
- Algenis Perez Soto as Att-Lass
- Rune Temte as Bron-Char
- Chuku Modu as Soh-Larr
- Matthew Maher as Norex
- Akira Akbar as Monica Rambeau
- Azari Akbar as Monica Rambeau (age 5)
- Kenneth Mitchell as Joseph Danvers
- Colin Ford as Steve Danvers
- Pete Ploszek as Bret Johnson
- Mark Daugherty as Skrull Main Tech
- Vik Sahay as Hero Torfan
- Sharon Blynn as Soren
- Stan Lee as Himself
- Marilyn Brett as Older Lady on Train
- Robert Kazinsky as Biker (The Don)
- Richard Zeringue as Tom the Neighbor
- Ana Ayora as Agent Whitcher
- Patrick Gallagher as Security Chief
- Connor Ryan as Cadet Livanson
- Mel Powell as Pegasus Guard Ficke
- Reggie, Gonzo, Archie and Rizzo as Goose
- Don Cheadle as James Rhodes
- Chris Evans as Steve Rogers
- Scarlett Johansson as Natasha Romanoff
- Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner
Continuity and References to the Marvel Cinematic Universe
- Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel is introduced.
- Nick Fury appears.
- Phil Coulson appears.
- Korath the Pursuer appears.
- Ronan the Accuser appears.
- Skrulls are introduced.
- Talos is introduced.
- Yon-Rogg is introduced.
- Supreme Intelligence is introduced.
- Mar-Vell/Wendy Lawson is introduced.
- Maria Rambeau is introduced.
- Monica Rambeau is introduced.
- Minn-Erva is introduced.
- Att-Lass is introduced.
- Bron-Char is introduced.
- Goose is introduced.
- Tesseract appears.
- James Rhodes appears.
- Steve Rogers appears.
- Natasha Romanoff appears.
- Bruce Banner appears.
- Project P.E.G.A.S.U.S. appears.
- Captain Marvel Pager is created.
- The Avengers Initiative is created.
- Higher. Further. Faster.
- Discover What Makes Her A Hero.
- Discover What Makes A Hero.
- Everything begins with a hero.
- Hope begins with a hero.
The film was shot in California and Louisiana.
Promotion, Filming and Concept Art
|Marvel Cinematic Universe|
|Phase 1||Iron Man | The Incredible Hulk | Iron Man 2 | Thor | Captain America: The First Avenger | The Avengers|
|Phase 2|| Iron Man 3 | Thor: The Dark World | Captain America: The Winter Soldier | Guardians of the Galaxy|
Avengers: Age of Ultron | Ant-Man
|Phase 3|| Captain America: Civil War | Doctor Strange | Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 | Spider-Man: Homecoming |
Thor: Ragnarok | Black Panther | Avengers: Infinity War | Ant-Man and the Wasp | Captain Marvel
|Phase 4||Spider-Man: Far From Home|
|One-Shots|| The Consultant | A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor’s Hammer | Item 47 | Agent Carter |
All Hail the King
|TV Shows||Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. | Agent Carter | Runaways|
|Netflix Series||Daredevil | Jessica Jones | Luke Cage | Iron Fist | The Defenders | The Punisher|