|Release Date:||June 7, 2019|
|Running Time:||114 minutes|
Dark Phoenix (internationally marketed as X-Men: Dark Phoenix) is the sequel to X-Men: Apocalypse and both the twelfth installment and the final film in the X-Men film series in the main series. Nine years after defeating Apocalypse, the X-Men are against a cosmic threat, in addition to Jean Grey losing control of her abilities and unleashing the terrifyingly powerful cosmic Phoenix Force.
In 1975, eight-year-old Jean Grey inadvertently uses her telekinesis to cause a car accident that kills her parents. Shortly afterwards, Professor Charles Xavier takes her to Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters, where he mentally blocks the accident from her memories and helps her hone her psychic abilities.
In 1992, nine years after the worldwide devastation caused by En Sabah Nur, the X-Men respond to a distress signal from the space shuttle Endeavor, which is critically damaged by a solar flare-like energy. While the X-Men save all of the astronauts, Jean is stranded and ends up absorbing all of the energy into her body. Jean survives the event, and her psychic powers are greatly amplified as a result. At the same time, the mental block placed by Xavier is destroyed, and she accidentally attacks the mutants celebrating at Xavier's school after a mental breakdown, passing out afterward. She later travels to her childhood hometown of Red Hook, New York, after discovering that her father is still alive. The X-Men attempt to take Jean home, but she injures Peter Maximoff and accidentally kills Raven Darkhölme and several policemen before flying away.
Jean travels to the mutant refugee island of Genosha to seek assistance from Erik Lehnsherr in controlling her powers, but is turned away by Erik after she engages in combat with U.S. military forces tasked with her arrest. Jean meets Vuk, the leader of a shape-shifting alien race known as the D'Bari, who explains to her that she has been possessed by a force of cosmic power which wiped out the D'Baris' home planet years ago. The power had consumed all those it came across, until it encountered Jean. Meanwhile, Hank McCoy, who feels betrayed by Xavier's manipulation of Jean's memories, allies with Erik and his mutant refugees to bring down Jean in New York City. The X-Men and Erik's faction battle each other before Erik confronts Jean, only to be overpowered by her new abilities. Xavier is attacked by Jean, until he convinces her to read his memories, allowing her personality to resurface. Feeling remorseful, Jean asks Vuk to take the force from her, though it turns out that doing so would kill her. Xavier and Scott Summers stop Vuk from fully absorbing the force from Jean, before both mutant factions are captured by the U.S. government and placed in a train headed towards a secret containment facility.
The train is attacked by Vuk and her D'Bari forces. When the soldiers are overpowered by the shape-shifters, the mutants are freed from their restraints to combat the threat. Xavier confers with Jean within his mind, allowing Jean's personality to gain control of the force within her. Vuk once again attempts to drain Jean of the force, but Jean unleashes her full potential and kills Vuk before disappearing into outer space. In the aftermath of the incident, the school is renamed Jean Grey's School for Gifted Youngsters, with Hank as the new dean, and Charles finally retires after decades in the fight for mutant rights. In Paris, Erik reunites with Xavier to play a game of chess. As they start to play, a flaming phoenix appears in the sky.
In a post credits scene, some text is telling us about the Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures distribution.
- James McAvoy as Charles Xavier/Professor X
- Michael Fassbender as Erik Lehnsherr/Magneto
- Jennifer Lawrence as Raven Darkholme/Mystique
- Nicholas Hoult as Hank McCoy/Beast
- Sophie Turner as Jean Grey/Phoenix
- Tye Sheridan as Scott Summers/Cyclops
- Alexandra Shipp as Ororo Munroe/Storm
- Kodi Smit-McPhee as Kurt Wagner/Nightcrawler
- Evan Peters as Peter Maximoff/Quicksilver
- Jessica Chastain as Vuk and Margaret Smith
- Kota Eberhardt as Selene Gallio/Black Queen
- Andrew Stehlin as Ariki
- Ato Essandoh as Jones
- Scott Sheperd as John Grey
- Hannah Anderson as Elaine Grey
- Brian d'Arcy James as the President of the United States
- Lamar Johnson as Ben Hammil/Match
- Halston Sage as Alison Blaire/Dazzler
- Chris Claremont as a crowd member
Continuity and References to the X-Men Cinematic Universe
- Charles Xavier/Professor X appears.
- Erik Lehnsherr/Magneto appears.
- Raven Darkholme/Mystique appears.
- Hank McCoy/Beast appears.
- Jean Grey/Phoenix appears.
- Scott Summers/Cyclops appears.
- Ororo Munroe/Storm appears.
- Kurt Wagner/Nightcrawler appears.
- Peter Maximoff/Quicksilver appears.
- John Grey appears.
- Vuk is introduced.
- Selene Gallio/Black Queen is introduced.
- Ariki is introduced.
- Alison Blaire/Dazzler is introduced.
- Ben Hammil/Match is introduced.
- Charles meeting Raven from X-Men: First Class is mentioned.
- Fire and life incarnate. Now and forever...Phoenix!
- The World Goes Dark!
- Every Hero Has A Dark Side!
- The Phoenix Will Rise.
- A Phoenix Will Rise. The X-Men Will Fall.
The film was shot in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
Promotion, Filming,and Concept Art
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 Dark Phoenix Cast Confirmed
- ↑ X-Men: Dark Phoenix Casts Summer Fontana As Young Jean Grey
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 'X-Men: Dark Phoenix': Evan Peters Returning as Quicksilver (Exclusive)
- ↑ Jessica Chastain shoots down X-Men: Dark Phoenix theory that she will play Lilandra
- ↑ X-Men: Dark Phoenix Entertainment Weekly Cover
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Exclusive: 'X-MEN: DARK PHOENIX' Adds Kota Eberhardt & Scott Sheperd; Also Returning Characters
- ↑ Dark Phoenix: Dazzler will appear in the upcoming X-Men film
|Films||X-Men | X2 | X-Men: The Last Stand | X-Men Origins: Wolverine | X-Men: First Class | The Wolverine|
X-Men: Days of Future Past | Deadpool | X-Men: Apocalypse | Logan | Deadpool 2 | Dark Phoenix
|Development||The New Mutants| Gambit | X-Force | Other|
|Released||X-Men | X2 | The Last Stand | First Class | Days of Future Past | Apocalypse | Dark Phoenix|
|Development||The New Mutants | X-Force | Other|
|Released||X-Men Origins: Wolverine | The Wolverine | Logan|
|Released||Deadpool | Deadpool 2|