|Appeared in||X2: X-Men United|
The New Mutants
- "I killed eighteen men. One by one."
- ―Illyana Rasputin[src]
Illyana Rasputin, also known as Magik, is a Russian mutant with the ability to open portals to travel between another dimension called Limbo and who has learned sorcery. She is also the younger sister of Peter Rasputin.
Illyana's name was on one of Stryker's computer's.
Illyana was born in Russia. As a child, she was taken as a sex slave and tormented by otherworldly beings called the Smiley Men. To escape all this suffering, Illyana was transported herself mentally to a hellish dimension known as Limbo, alongside her dragon toy Lockheed. In Limbo, Lockheed was turned into a real dragon and Illyana gained new abilities, such as a magical sword and mystical armor of unknown origin. However, due to spending too much time in Limbo, that place became totally real. At some point in her life, Illyana murdered with her sword and Lockheed the men who used her as a sex slave, killing 18 of them one by one. Because of this act, she ended up in the Milbury Hospital, where she met Roberto da Costa, Samuel Guthrie and Rahne Sinclair.
When Dani arrived at Milbury Hospital, Illyana and her friends met her in the meeting room. There Illyana showed contempt for Dani and was forced by Dr. Reyes to show Dani the hospital sites. While reluctantly showing it to her, Illyana made several misplaced comments against Dani and told her that there was nothing to separate her from freedom, only to taunt her when she collided with the force field that covered the place. When an enraged Dani tried to attack Illyana, she was transported away from there.
The next day, when Dani entered the game room, Illyana immediately began making disparaging remarks against her and forcibly forcing her to display her powers. Then, Dani hit Illyana with her head in the face, Illyana annoyed invoked her sword to attack Dani, who was protected by a force field from Dr. Reyes. Because of this, they were both taken to isolation, where Illyana had certain visions of her past due to Dani being unconsciously using her powers.
At night, when Illyana went with the boys to a place where Dr. Reyes was supposedly unable to keep an eye on them, when they ran into Dani and Rahne on the way and Illyana reluctantly agreed to let the two accompany them. There, Illyana pulled out a lie detector and they began to play around, with Illyana revealing to them that the reason she's there is because she killed 18 men, one by one, with her sword and the help of Lockheed. In the following days the youngs continued to be friends and while they were in the playroom, Illyana disguised herself as Dr. Reyes and, for the first time, she really had fun with all her partners. That same night, Roberto had an illusion with Illyana and his dead girlfriend in the pool, and when Illyana entered the room she asked what had happened, much to Roberto's surprise that he thought that the Illyana he had kissed was real. Then, Illyana, upon seeing Roberto's confrontation with Dr. Reyes, decided to interfere and side with her friend Berto and against Reyes. Ending her back in isolation.
In isolation, Illyana felt that the door to her cell would slide open, only to see the face of a Smiling Man's mask painted on the wall. This made Illyana realize that the one who was generating all those terrifying visions was Dani. Then, Illyana attacked Dani, having a portal to Limbo and taking her there. However, Dani unconsciously used her power and transformed her face into the mask of a Smiling Man, causing Illyana to scream in terror and fall to the ground, to be subsequently injected by Dr. Reyes with a tranquilizer and taken to her room. More later, in her room, Illyana was visited by Dani, who brought her to Lockheed, who had dropped it on Illyana when she was unconscious. There, Illyana opened up much more with Dani and told her that Limbo was a place where she and Lockheed went when they did not feel safe. However, from so much visiting and spending so much time there, it became a real place.
When that same night, Dr. Reyes was notified by the Essex Corporation to kill Dani, it caused her to use her power and Illyana to enter a dream of her past with the Smiley Men, who manifested in the hospital. Illyana and Sam tried to escape from them, however a Smiling Man took Illyana and tried to take her away. Only to be stopped by Sam with a fire extinguisher found in the hallway. Illyana and Sam ran into Dr. Reyes on the way, only for her to run off when she saw a Smiling Man. Then, to escape Illyana the Limbo was transported, leaving Sam alone in the face of danger. When Sam and Roberto were ambushed by the Smiley Men, Illyana entered through a portal and killed all the Smiley Men, saving their friends.
After overcoming her nightmare, Illyana met her friends in Dr. Reyes' office, where together they decided to go kill her to eliminate the force field that prevented them from leaving. They followed their trail to the stretcher room, where Reyes explained that he wanted to turn them into assassins for the Essex Corporation. So before Illyana and her friends could do anything, Reyes trapped them in force fields and set out to kill Dani.
However, Dani unconsciously summoned the Demon Bear to defend herself against Cecilia Reyes. So Illyana invoked her powers to enter Limbo and recruits a real version of Lockheed to confront the creature. She jumped on the Bear, slicing him on his back. However, the Bear ignored Illyana and turned his attention to reaching Dani. Illyana with Lockheed chased him to the chapel and confronted him again, this time with the help of Roberto and Sam. The Bear hit Illyana and she quickly transporter herself out of the chapel, falling several meters to the ground and being considerably stunned and powerless before the Bear.
When Dani finally defeated the Bear and morning came, Illyana and her friends gathered their belongings and decided to head the nearest village.
Due to her tortured past, as a sex slave, Illyana developed a strong personality with no remorse for the things she does. This was shown when she did not hold back from saying all the people she had killed in her life and even feeling proud of it. She also showed an unhealthy attitude towards Danielle Moonstar when she arrived at Milbury Hospital, even going so far as to make inappropriate comments against Dani and mocking her for hurting herself when she collided with the force field that Dr. Reyes had placed around the hospital to prevent them from leaving there.
Despite her strong personality, Illyana still had many internal fears that she had not yet managed to overcome, especially the Smiley Men, who even after so many years frightened her like no one else. However, she finally managed to overcome this fear by entering Limbo and taking her sword to kill the Smiley Men and thus saving her friends Roberto and Sam. She also changed her attitude towards Dani a lot when she returned her dragon toy, Lockheed, who had previously dropped her, even going so far as to talk to Dani about her past and telling her about Limbo.
In addition, Illyana has shown to have certain feelings towards her partner Roberto da Costa, feeling great affection for him and worrying while Roberto confronted the Demon Bear, trying to get off the ground to help him against the creature, despite being injured. She even screamed in pain when the Bear crushed Roberto with his foot, leaving him almost unconscious and out of combat.
Powers and Abilities
- Mutant Physiology: Magik is a very powerful mutant who possesses powers of inter-dimensional teleportation.
- Teleportation: Illyana has the mutant ability to mentally open portals, which allowed herself and others to teleport across larges distances. However, when Illyana mentally calls for a portal, she must use Limbo as a midway point before she can teleport to an alternate location. It is not known if she was genetically predetermined to travel through Limbo, or if she did so because, having been there as a child, it was the alternate dimension she was instinctively aware of.
- Mystokinesis: Illyana is a powerful sorceress in her own right.
- Soulsword Summoning: During her multiple visits to Limbo, Illyana obtained a sword from the mystical metal found on the floor of Limbo. She is able to hide this sword in nothingness and summon it whenever she wishes.
- Hand-To-Hand Combatant: Illyana has some skills in hand-to-hand combat, as she was able to easily break free when Sam held her so she wouldn't hurt Danielle Moonstar.
- Expert Swordswoman: Illyana possesses incredible skill in the use of her magic sword, mostly due to her ferocity in combat. She was able to used her sword kill several Smiley Men and face the Demon Bear.
- Master Acrobat: Illyana has shown incredible skill in stunts, especially while in battle. She was able to jump on the Demon Bear's back, with the help of her sword, and was able to jump through the window of the chapel and land on her feet. Also, when she was transported out of the chapel, she was able to fall without any problem, despite being hit hard by the Demon Bear.
- Bilingualism: Illyana is fluent in her native Russian, as well as English.
- Soulsword: The Soulsword is a powerful weapon, which was apparently created by Illyana from the same metal found on the floor of Limbo. The sword is simple in origin, but when Illyana uses it, it glows with a blue flame-like energy.
- Eldritch Armor: Every time Illyana summons her sword, a eldritch armor covers her right arm. The origin of this armor is unknown, but when it appears it is very similar in design and color to the mystical metal found in Limbo.
- Colossus - Brother.
- Cannonball - Friend.
- Mirage - Friend.
- Sunspot - Friend.
- Wolfsbane - Friend.
- Smiley Men - Enemies.
- Cecilia Reyes - Doctor turned Enemy.
- Demon Bear - Enemy.
- Earth-10005 (2 films)
Behind the scenes
To be added
- In the comics, Illyana is Colossus' sister, this has not been explored in the films to date.
X2: X-Men United
To be added