|Appeared in||X-Men Origins: Wolverine|
|Status|| Deceased (Original Timeline)|
Unknown (New Timeline)
- "I've done some pretty awful things. The kind of things that could haunt a man when he sleeps. See, most people think our powers are gifts. But if it was up to me, I'd hunt the devil down myself. And give him this gift back. My name is John Wraith. And I'm a mutant."
- ―John Wraith[src]
John Wraith, also known as Kestrel, was a mutant who possessed the power of teleportation.
Wraith, a teleporting mutant, was a former member of Team X, also consisting of James "Logan" Howlett, Victor Creed, Wade Wilson, Agent Zero, Chris Bradley and Fred Dukes, under the leadership of William Stryker. While initially loyal to the team, Wraith eventually quits the team due to morality issues (he, like Logan, did not like the killing the team did but was forced to follow orders anyway, such as abducting fellow mutants, under Stryker's employment) and becomes a boxing manager. He appears to be the one member whom Wolverine fully trusts, being the first whom he pays a visit after so many years. When Wolverine arrives for information about Stryker's base, he tells him to ask Dukes, who is now obese and is boxing to keep in shape. Before giving Logan any information, Dukes challenges Logan to a boxing match. Logan wins thanks to his new adamantium skeleton, and Dukes directs him toward Remy LeBeau, an escaped captive.
Wraith goes with Wolverine which leads them to a casino in Louisiana. Wraith guards the back, only to be confronted by Creed. Knowing that he killed Bradley, Wade and apparently Dukes, Wraith fights Creed with the intention of killing him, despite having agreed to leave him for Wolverine. Wraith uses his teleportation ability to his advantage and manages to strike Creed multiple times, but Creed, predicting Wraith's move, eventually grabs Wraith's spine by positioning his hand in exactly the right place to grab it as Wraith appears, mortally wounding him. Creed takes a sample of Wraith's blood and his teleportation ability is used for Weapon XI/Deadpool.
- William Stryker - Former boss.
- Wolverine - Former Team X member and friend; deceased.
- Wade Wilson - Former Team X member.
- Chris Bradley - Former Team X member.
- Victor Creed - Former Team X member turned killer.
- Fred Dukes - Former Team X member and good friend.
- Agent Zero - Former Team X member.
Behind the scenes
- Pop musician Will.i.am got the role because he wanted to play a mutant with the same power as Nightcrawler.
- In the comics, Wraith goes by the name Kestrel.
- The X-Men Origins: Wolverine tie-in video game shows a relationship between Wraith and Mystique and suggests that he is Nightcrawler's father.
- When Logan prevented the Sentinel-dominated future from happening in X-Men: Days of Future Past, John's death never happened, as Team X was never formed. Thus, he along with other members of Team X, were never hunted and killed by Victor Creed; but it is unknown whether he is currently alive or not.