Dr. Otto Octavius was a scientist who became the villainous Doctor Octopus. Octavius was transported from his universe to Earth-199999 when Peter Parker tampered with Doctor Strange's spell to make the world forget that he is Spider-Man.
Dr. Otto Octavius shared the history of his counterpart until he was transported from his universe into Earth-199999.
Due to a spell gone awry, Octavius was pulled from the moment that he was strangling Peter during their final battle and into an alternate universe. He was captured by the alternate Peter Parker but resisted his efforts to cure him. Despite Octavius's resistance, Peter, with the help of Norman Osborn, used a Stark Tech Fabricator to replace Octavius's destroyed inhibitor chip, thus giving him full control over his arms once again. Restored to himself, Octavius expressed his gratitude to Peter and amazement at being alone in his own head again, having almost forgotten what it was like. Octavius then offered Peter his help in curing the others. However, after Octavius pointed out that being cured will mean that Osborn's dark side will be gone, Osborn's Green Goblin persona reasserted control and turned the uncured villains against Peter. Stating that he'd liked Octavius better before, Electro hit Octavius was a massive blast of electricity. Octavius was blasted out of the condo but managed to catch himself and climb to safety using his tentacles.
During the final battle at the Statue of Liberty, Octavius joined Electro in supposedly attacking the three Spider-Men, having apparently reverted back into a villain, before unexpectedly turning on Electro, removing his Arc Reactor and giving him the electricity siphon that the Spider-Men had developed for his condition. Examining the reactor, Octavius mused how it was "the power of the sun" with his Peter finishing "in the palm of your hand," which is what Octavius had been trying to achieve with his doomed fusion experiment. Octavius was happily reunited with his Peter, but their catching up was interrupted by the arrival of Doctor Strange and an attack by the Green Goblin. Octavius moved to block the Goblin's attack on Strange, restraining the Goblin Glider briefly before the Goblin broke free, cutting off the end of one of Octavius' mechanical arms. As the scaffolding began to collapse, Octavius used his arms to climb to safety, carrying Electro with him. He was subsequently returned to his own universe when Strange cast the spell to make everyone in Earth-1999999 forget Peter's existence.
Since he was transported into an alternate universe just moments before his death, Otto was still under the control of his tentacle arms. When he first finds Peter Parker on the Alexander Hamilton bridge, he was confident and determined to find his fusion reactor. The arms, and by extension Otto, did not take kindly to being controlled via Bluetooth, making Otto ornery, short-tempered, and resistant to Peter's efforts to cure him.
When Peter Parker provided him with a new inhibitor chip, Otto's demeanor completely shifted. He was cheerful and friendly, making small talk with Norman Osborn and helping Peter create cures for the others.
Otto briefly pretended to be Doctor Octopus again in order to trick Max Dillon long enough to defeat him. His sanity restored along with full control of his arms, Otto got to see what could have been from his experiment in the form of an Arc Reactor, before happily reuniting with his Peter and then risking his own life to help fight against the Green Goblin.
Powers and Abilities
- Tentacles: Due to the first experiment that fused the tentacles to his spine, Doctor Octopus has the ability to mentally control his four mechanical tentacles. Each tentacle has superhuman strength, speed, durability and the ability to climb up walls or travel along. These abilities include:
- Superhuman Strength: Each tentacle can lift 3 tons.
- Telescoping: Each tentacle is 4.5 feet long and Doctor Octopus can extend them to 13 feet long.
- Wall-Climbing and Traveling: Doctor Octopus can use his tentacles to travel along without the use of his feet and can climb up walls.
- Superhuman Durability: With the tentacles, Doctor Octopus can withstand great impacts. The tentacles are also immune to heat and magnetism.
- Sensation Feeling: Doctor Octopus can feel and sense the basic sensations in the tentacles when someone is near or coming closer.
- Superhuman Concentration: Doctor Octopus, due to the accident that fused his tentacles to him and damaging his brain, possesses mental abilities and concentration to be able to perform two complex and independent actions via the use of the tentacles.
- Genius-Level Intellect: Otto was one of the world's greatest scientists and inventors. He was capable of inventing machines, especially his four mechanical tentacles.
- Hand-to-Hand Combatant: Thanks to the tentacles, Doctor Octopus is a formidable combatant as he is able to overpower normal humans, especially the more experienced Spider-Man.
- Peter Parker/Spider-Man - The Spider-Man from Otto's universe. Ally turned enemy until cured.
- Peter Parker/Spider-Man - Enemy turned ally.
- Stephen Strange/Doctor Strange - Enemy turned ally.
- Maxwell Dillon/Electro - Enemy until cured.
- Norman Osborn/Green Goblin - Ally as Norman; enemy as Goblin.
Behind the scenes
- Alfred Molina was digitally de-aged for his return in Spider-Man: No Way Home.
- His fate after being returned to his own universe is unclear as he was taken from the moment that he was strangling Peter.
- By that point, Otto's fusion experiment had already gone out of control which had led to his counterpart's death when he sacrificed himself to stop it. Curing Otto would not have stopped the danger from the fusion reactor.
- However, there is the possibility that the loss of one of his arms and the fixed inhibitor chip would have created a paradox, and he would not have been returned to the point before his death, rather a different point in his own universe. This is supported by the cures for the other villains, such as Lizard and Electro, who would have been physically unable to return to the moment they left.