|Appeared in||Fantastic Four|
Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
- "A few days in space, it'll be great. What's the worst that could happen?"
- ―Reed Richards[src]
Reed Richards, also known as Mr. Fantastic, is a superhuman who possesses the power of elasticity. Reed is also the leader of the Fantastic Four.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Powers and Abilities
- 3 Relationships
- 4 Appearances/Actors
- 5 Behind the scenes
- 6 Trivia
- 7 Gallery
- 8 See Also
Brilliant mathematician and physicist, Reed Richards is a humble genius and gifted idealist. Reed has always reached for the stars and would do anything to fund his lifelong dream of an experimental space mission; including cutting a last-ditch, no-win deal with Victor von Doom. But one tiny miscalculation turned into tragedy when a brutal cosmic storm battered the spaceship and its crew. The cosmic rays left Reed the ability to bend, stretch and expand his body in any imaginable way. Reed holds himself responsible for the accident which transformed the Four, and he wraps himself around his work to reverse their condition.
The exposure to the cosmic cloud has brought out the worst in Victor von Doom. He has turned Ben Grimm against Reed, convincing him that Reed is responsible for Ben's hideous appearance. Slowly Ben realizes that Victor is out to ruin Reed and unites with his friends to stop him. Reed Richards, Sue Storm, Johnny Storm, and Ben Grimm; now the Fantastic Four; battle against their new, electrified enemy, Doctor Doom.
Accustomed to being pulled in different directions, Mr. Fantastic works to realize his potential as boyfriend to Sue, scientist to humanity, and leader to the Four. As the Silver Surfer races around the globe wreaking havoc, the Fantastic Four unravel the mystery of the Silver Surfer and confront the surprising return of their mortal enemy, Doctor Doom.
Powers and Abilities
- Elasticity: Reed has been shown to able to expanding any part of his anatomy at least 1000 feet. He is able to stretch, deform, expand, compress, flatten and inflate the structure part of his body. This has granted him enhanced mobility by shape-shifting his body via stretching or springing his body. He is capable of shape-shifting himself into anything. This makes it impossible to restrain him as he can easily slip out of seemingly form of any restraints.
- Shape-Shifting: Reed's elasticity grants him shape-shifting, he can wrap himself around people (such as Ben and Doctor Doom) shape-shift into a ball or just simply shape-shift his hands into fist like weapons. He is capable of stretching far to prevent the London Eye from collapsing.
- Contracting: Using his elasticity; Reed is capable of contracting at least his hand under a doorway with it was locked.
- Superhuman Immunity: Due to the nature of Reed's powers; he is almost completely immune to striking and submission holds and can even turn submission holds against his opponents as seen when Ben tried to beat him and couldn't.
- Superhuman Flexibility: For obvious reasons, Reed is flexible; capable of twisting and bending his body in an superhumanly fashion.
- Genius-Level Intellect: Reed is considered the greatest mind ever born, and by how easily he is able to formulate a battle strategy for Doom and the Silver Surfer it's no surprise.
- Skilled Hand-To-Hand Combatant: Due to his superhuman elasticity; Reed is an excellent fighter, as he is able to fight the Thing with no problems even though he is physically superior in every way; except for flexibility.
- Susan Richards/Invisible Woman - Wife.
- Johnny Storm/Human Torch - Friend and brother-in-law.
- Ben Grimm/The Thing - Best friend and ally.
- Victor von Doom/Doctor Doom - Friend turned enemy; deceased.
- Silver Surfer - Enemy turned ally.
- H.E.R.B.I.E. - Creation.
- Earth-121698 (2 films)
Behind the scenes
- George Clooney, Hugh Jackman, Brendan Fraser, Dennis Quaid, Alexis Denisof and Patrick Wilson were all considered for the role of Reed Richards before Ioan Gruffudd was cast.
- During filming, Ioan Gruffudd was so excited about showing his parents that he was working on a big budget Hollywood production. Unfortunately, the day they went to visit him, he was filming an elevator scene.
- Ioan Gruffudd's efforts to keep an American accent continually were hampered by the fact he would receive new script pages on a regular basis, forcing him to learn new lines at short notice.
- Like the Thing's body, Mr. Fantastic is indestructible making him as stretchy and strong as rubber.
- In a deleted scene from Fantastic Four, Reed asks Sue Storm if she wants him to be more virile and assumes Wolverine's shape by modifying his facial structure.
- It was Ioan Gruffudd's idea idea that Reed should continually be taking notes: "On a good day, I'd be writing formulas that I remembered from my algebra class in school, and on a day when I was really concentrating on the other actor, it would just be gibberish."