|Alias(es)|| Bobby Drake|
|Appeared in|| X-Men|
X2: X-Men United
X-Men: The Last Stand
X-Men: Days of Future Past
|Status|| Deceased (Original Timeline)|
Alive (New Timeline)
- "Call me Iceman."
- ―Bobby Drake[src]
Robert "Bobby" Drake, also known as Iceman, is a mutant who possesses the power to create ice from water or any moisture.
Bobby was born in Boston, Massachusetts, to William and Madeline Drake. When Bobby first discovered his mutant ability, he hid it from his parents and his brother. He convinced his parents to enroll him in Xavier's school, telling them it was a prep school.
- "Welcome to Mutant High."
- ―Bobby Drake [src]
- "Call me Iceman."
- ―Bobby Drake[src]
Later that night, Xavier, Cyclops, Jean, and Storm are out with Logan looking after the kids. He and Bobby conversate in the kitchen. The school is then raided by William Stryker and soldiers. Logan manages to escape with Rogue, Bobby, and John beside him. Bobby suggest they stay at his parents house. Arriving at the Drake's residence, Bobby gives Rogue some clothes and his moms gloves. The two kiss with Bobby briefly able to resist Rogues powers by using his Ice powers. However eventually Rogue powers overcome his and they breakaway before Bobby is killed. Bobby’s parents and brother arrive and Bobby “comes out” to them as a mutant. As he shows his parents his powers Bobby’s brother Ronny is jealous and scared of his brothers powers and calls the police on him and the others. As the police arrive Logan tries to defuse the situation only to be shot in the head. John then used his powers to attack the police. Before he can kill them however Rogue uses her powers to stop him and put the fire out. Jean and Storm along with Nightcrawler arrive in the X-Jet to pick them up. As Bobby leaves, he takes one more look at his family saddened knowing they will no longer accept him now. As they take off, they are pursued by two Air Force F-16 fighter jets. While Jean and Storm are able to take out the jets they are hit by one of the misses and the X-Jet nearly crashes only for them to be saved by Magneto. That night the remaining X-Men realize thanks to Magneto that Stryker's plan is to use Charles and Cerebro to wipe out all Mutants on the planet and decide to team up with him and Mystique to stop him.
Arriving at Alkali Lake, Bobby, Rouge, and John are told to stay on the Jet. While they wait John grows impatient and decides to follow after them. When Xavier begins using his powers in Cerebro; Bobby and Rogue are painfully effected and thinking they are about to die hold hands. Fortunately, Charles is stopped and Styker's plan fails. Bobby and Rogue then decide to fly the Jet closer so that the others can safely get on which they succeed in. As everyone but John returns to the plane (John having joined Magneto) they prepare to leave as the dam begins to break. They are unable to take off however and Jean using her powers sacrifices herself by holding back the flood of water and lifting the Jet with her powers to safety and out of harms way.
Bobby and Rogue Later accompany Xavier and the rest of the X-Men to the White House where Xavier reveals to the president that Stryker arranged his assassination and that Humans and Mutants should work to coexist or they will end up destroying each other.Kitty Pryde with the Sentinel firing a rocket and with his powers even stronger Bobby stopped the rocket from hitting them and with another one about to hit when Bobby had his back turned, Kitty grabbed him and phased the rocket the rocket through them. Rogue appearing in the distant saw them and assumed that they were hugging. Bobby's relationship with Rogue also appears to be deteriorating, strained by their inability to have physical contact and by his close friendship with Kitty Pryde. Seeing them both almost "kiss" prompts Rogue to seek out "the cure" so she can finally touch Bobby without fear of hurting him. Bobby goes to try and stop her and is confronted by John (now going by the name of Pyro) When John proceeds to insult Rogue he prepares to fight but back down as to not cause a scene in public. John then however proceeds to set fire to the place giving out the cure. When Wolverine prepares to take the X-Men to stop Magneto from killing the source of the cure (a young boy named Leech) Bobby reminds them that theirs only six of them now. Logan agrees but points that they have lost both Scott, and Professor X and that if they don’t do something everything they fought and stood for will die with them out and that he will not let that happen. Bobby agrees and he Kitty, Colossus, and Storm head out to Alcatraz to stop Magneto. Bobby takes part in the X-Men's final confrontation with Magneto's army and shows his true power by fighting Pyro one-on-one. During this battle, Iceman's ability to transform his body into ice is finally shown, allowing him to defeat Pyro. After the battle, he finds Rogue in her room, having taken the cure, but the two decide to continue their relationship.
- "They'll find us, they always do"
Iceman and Rogue were still together at the school. They smiled at Logan and walked away holding hands.
Powers and Abilities
- Mutant Physiology/Organic Ice Transformation: Iceman is a very powerful mutant who possesses the power of cryogenesis and cryokinesis, he is also able to turn his skin into an ice form that is nearly indestructible; by the events of X-Men: Days of Future Past, Iceman has become powerful to the point of transforming into pure ice and travelling on ice slides.
- Cryogenesis: With the power to generate sub-freezing temperatures, Iceman can create ice projectiles, ice shields, and even coat himself in a full body suit of ice armor. He can also create ice from water or any moisture.
- Cryokinesis: Iceman can manipulate sub-freezing temperatures and ice.
- Invulnerability: Iceman's ice armor is durable to the point where bullets cannot penetrate it, Pyro's flames could not even melt it. In X-Men: Days of Future Past, the ice armor was pushed to it's limit; a Sentinel Mark X was able to decapitate Iceman, despite the latter being in his ice form as the ice armor is extremely durable.
- Superhuman Immunity: Iceman is immune to sub-zero temperatures and environments.
- X-Man uniform: Bobby wears a protective suit; when he is out on the field in battle.
- Marie D'Ancanto/Rogue - Girlfriend and teammate.
- Peter Rasputin/Colossus - Friend and teammate.
- Kitty Pryde/Shadowcat - Teammate and former love interest.
- Ororo Munroe/Storm - Teacher, teammate and friend.
- Scott Summers/Cyclops - Teacher.
- Logan/Wolverine - Teacher, teammate and friend.
- Charles Xavier/Professor X - Teacher.
- Lucas Bishop/Bishop - Teammate and friend.
- Clarice Ferguson/Blink - Teammate and friend.
- Roberto DaCosta/Sunspot - Teammate and friend.
- James Proudstar/Warpath - Teammate and friend.
- Brotherhood of Mutants
- William Drake - Father.
- Madeline Drake - Mother.
- Ronny Drake - Brother turned enemy.
- Earth-10005 (4 films)
Behind the scenes
- The Ultimate Marvel series used Iceman and Rogue as boyfriend and girlfriend much like X2.
- In X-Men: The Last Stand, Iceman fights Pyro at Alcatraz while in X-Men: The Official Game he fights Pyro at a power plant.
- In the novelization for X-Men: The Last Stand, Iceman saves Pyro from the destruction of Dark Phoenix.
- In the Rogue cut X-Men: Days of Future Past, Bobby dies much earlier. Along with Magneto he heads back to Xavier's mansion and rescues Rogue. The Sentinels discover they have arrived and Bobby remains behind to hold them off so Magneto and Rogue can escape. While successful for a time, he is eventually overpowered and melted in the same manner to the theater version. Ultimately, his sacrifice was not in vain as Magneto and Rogue both manage to escape the Sentinels and get Rogue back to the others where she takes Kitty's powers and takes over for her.