|Alias(es)|| Goddess of War|
|Appeared in|| Thor|
Thor: The Dark World
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
- "I will die a warrior's death! Stories will be told of this day!"
Sif was an asgardian warrior and a friend of Thor Odinson. Sif is also the asgardian Goddess of War. Sometime after Loki Laufeyson send Odin Borson to Earth and impersonated him, she was banished from Asgard by Loki (under the persona of Odin) due to her being a risk in exposing him; Sif's current whereabouts are unknown.
Sif is the goddess of war and the friend of Thor. Thanks to Thor, who believed in her capabilities, she became one of the most apreciated warriors of Asgard, along with the Warriors Three and the Thunder God himself.
Along with Loki and the Warriors Three, Sif is convinced by Thor to attack Jotunheim, in response of an attempt by some Frost Giants to steal the Casket of Ancient Winters. While in Jotunheim, Sif fights alongside with her friends against an army of Giants led by Laufey himself, and manages to slain many of them, but is forced to flee when they're outnumbered. Eventually, the team is saved by Odin, who intervenes to prevent their killing. Helpless, Sif assists to Thor's banishment on Earth.
Some days later, Sif persuades the Warriors Three to ask Odin to recall Thor back home, but when they arrive in the throne room, they find Loki sitting as the new ruler of Asgard, as a substitute to Odin who's fallen into Odinsleep. Loki denies their request to call his stepbrother back, but they decide to ignore his order and to go to Midgard anyway. Heimdall agrees with them and opens Bifrost Bridge for them, and the four gods arrive on Earth, in New Mexico. Here, they easily spot Thor, and find out that he's been tricked by Loki's lies. Briefly later, The Destroyer is sent to Earth by Loki to kill Thor and the other Asgardians, and Sif engages it in battle with her friends. While the Warriors Three bought her some time, Sif jumped from a rooftop onto its back attacking the Destroyer from above, piercing its chest with her sword in its staff-like form. Immediately after, however, the Destroyer regenerated itself and almost killed Sif with an energy blast shot from its eye. Sif flees with her companions, leaving Thor, who claims to have a plan, behind, but only to assist his sacrifice and his rebirth in his divine form. Back in Asgard, Sif brings Heimdall to the Restore Room, while Thor fights, and eventually defeats, Loki.
Along with other Asgardians, Sif celebrates Odin's return to the throne and Thor's return in the realm, participating to a gargantuan banquet.
After Odin used dark energy to send Thor to Earth to retrieve Loki and the Tesseract, Sif informed Heimdall that the Allfather was weak but under Eir's care. She then asked about Thor and Heimdall informed her that Thor survived the journey.
Sif was present when Thor returned to Asgard with Loki and the Tesseract. She was also present when Thor rallied his fellow Asgardians, informing them that they were to protect the Nine Realms from the Marauders.
- "I had things under control!"
- "Your world is in grave danger!"
Heimdall detected the arrival of a Kree on Earth, so Odin sent Sif back to Earth to apprehend this newcomer. Sif tracked down her quarry to Faro, Portugal, and engaged him in broad daylight on a crowded pier. Though she managed to damage the Kree's device that allowed him to masquerade as human, Vin-Tak hit her with his truncheon, which erased all memory of her identity and mission, and tossed her into the sea. By the time she made it back to shore, it was nightfall and all she could recall was the word "Kava". She soon came to the attention of S.H.I.E.L.D., and after they reconstructed her last movements and the identity of her quarry, she realized that "Kava" was the Kree word for "keys". This revelation enabled S.H.I.E.L.D. to narrow down the Portuguese city called "Chaves" translating into "keys", where they captured Vin-Tak.
Vin-Tak insisted he was not a threat, and upon their return to the Playground he used his truncheon to restore Sif's memories. Vin-Tak then revealed that he was on Earth due to a Diviner being used. They soon determined that Skye was an Inhuman when she caused a seismic disturbance. S.H.I.E.L.D. moved to protect Skye as Sif pursued her, insisting that she must be taken back to Asgard for protection. However, Skye shot herself with an I.C.E.R. to stop the tremors.
The next day, Sif took a brainwashed Vin-Tak who has his mind wiped back to Asgard so he could be sent home. Before they left, Sif asked Coulson if he was sure he wanted to keep Skye on Earth due her dangerous power, he said he did.
Due to the completion of Thanos' genocidal mission of collecting the six Infinity Stones, Sif was among many individuals who were killed along with half of all life in the universe.
Being the only female warrior in Asgard, Sif is very proud and always eager to prove herself. She's the closest of friend with Thor and the Warriors Three, and she is an honorable warrior on the battlefield. She often is independent and uneasy in following orders. Sif is the first person to suspect Loki of treason following Thor's banishment, proving that she is very observant.
Powers and Abilities
- Asgardian Physiology: As asgardian, Sif possesses various superhuman attributes common among the asgardians; such as superhuman strength, speed, agility, reflexes, stamina, durability, longevity, etc.
- Superhuman Strength: Like all asgardians, Sif possesses superhuman strength and her physical strength is greater than that of an average female asgardian.
- Superhuman Speed: Sif can move at superhuman speeds; for example, she can utrun a Frost Beast and stop a sharp missile from hitting Thor with her shield.
- Superhuman Agility: Sif possesses superhuman agility; for example, she was able to defeat multiple Frost Giants and had the upper hand for most of her duel with Vin-Tak by utilizing her superior agility and balance.
- Superhuman Durability: Sif's body is much more resistant to physical harm than the body of a normal human; for example, she is capable of withstanding great impact forces from the Frost Giants and the Destroyer. She can also withstand shotgun blasts at close range without any injuries.
- Superhuman Immunity: Sif possesses immunity to human ailments such as diseases, toxins, poisons, corrosion, fire, electrocution, asphyxiation, lead and radiation poisoning. She can also withstand exposure to the extreme temperatures of Jotunheim.
- Superhuman Stamina: Sif's muscles produce considerably less fatigue toxins during physical activity compared to those of normal humans; allowing her to remain physically active for long periods of time.
- Superhuman Longevity: Like all asgardians, Sif is extremely long-lived, as she ages far slower than normal humans. Despite being over one thousand years old; she still maintains the physical appearance of a woman in her prime.
- Accelerated Healing Factor: Despite her body's resistance, Sif can be injured like any asgardian. However, her metabolism allowed her to heal much faster than that of a normal human.
- Master Hand-To-Hand Combatant: Sif is a very capable hand-to-hand combatant, having received training in unarmed combat and swordsmanship; which enabled her to become one of Asgard's greatest warriors.
- Master Swordswoman: Sif is highly skilled in the art of swordsmanship.
- Asgardian armor: Sif wears protective armor, to protect herself from her enemies in battle.
- Double-bladed Sword: Sif utilizes a double-bladed sword in combat; one of the two blades is retractable, allowing for Sif to fight with a single-blade.
- Shield: Sif almost always utilizes a shield for providing defense in battle. Due to it being comprised of Uru, Sif's shield is almost indestructible; for example, it is capable of deflecting gunfire.
- Asgardian Royal family
- Warriors Three
- Heimdall - Ally; deceased.
- Erik Selvig - Ally.
- Jane Foster - Ally.
- Darcy Lewis - Ally.
- The Destroyer - Ally turned enemy.
- Frost Giants
- Laufey - Enemy; deceased.
- Dark Elves
- Lorelei - Enemy.
- Thanos - Killer.
- Marvel Cinematic Universe (2 films)
- Marvel Cinematic Universe (1 TV series)
- Marvel Cinematic Universe (2 comics)
Behind the scenes
- Jaimie Alexander had to exercise for hours in a gym daily in order to be prepared for the role, although this kind of preparation wasn't new to her, as she had been in her high school's wrestling team.
- Alexander was injured on the set of Thor: The Dark World in September 2012. About the injury, she said "It was raining, it was dark outside, it was like 5 in the morning - and I went down a metal staircase and slipped and slipped a disc in my thoracic spine and chipped 11 of my vertebrae. I knocked my left shoulder out of place and tore my rhomboid on my right side... It took me out of filming for a month".
- The Russos confirmed that Sif was among the many casualties when Thanos used the Infinity Gauntlet to wipe out half every existing race.
- In the comics, Sif is Thor's lover and main love interest, not just a friend or a teammate. Her feelings for Thor are hinted in the end of the movie when she looks at him talking with his father. Heimdall and Sif are also brother and sister, though this was not explored in the film.