- "Soul holds a special place among the Infinity Stones. You might say, it is a certain wisdom".
"Tell me what it needs".
"To ensure that whoever possesses it understands its power, the stone demands a sacrifice".
"In order to take the stone, you must lose that which you love. A soul for a soul."
- ―The Stonekeeper and Thanos[src]
The Soul Stone was one of the six Infinity Stones.
After Thanos' sacrifice of Gamora on Vormir, he awoke in a sea of water with the Soul Stone in the centre of his palm. He placed it in the Infinity Gauntlet with the others, and had it at the Battle of Titan, and the Battle of Wakanda.
Three weeks after the Decimation, the surviving Avengers tried to reclaim the Infinity Stones to reverse what he had done. However, Thanos had used the power of the Stones themselves to destroy them all.
Five years later, using the Quantum Tunnel, Hawkeye and Black Widow went to Vormir in 2014 to retrieve the Soul Stone.
- Immense Power: As one of the Six Infinity Stones, the Soul Stone holds unparalleled levels of immense supernatural power.
- Soul Manipulation: The Soul Stone represents the fabric of the Soul and hence possesses absolute control over it. This is the source of the Stone's extremely esoteric, deadly and unique powers, to the point that it is considered the most dangerous of all the Stones. It seemingly allowed the Soul Stone to have a greater degree of intelligence and purpose than the other Stones so as to operate without a host.
- Granting Power to and Cursing Others: The Soul Stone has the power to give others unique powers and it can decide whether said power is a curse or blessing. It transformed the Red Skull into the Stonekeeper and granted him wisdom, immortality and the power to know all about those who journey there but also could prevent him from leaving Vormir as long as the Stone remains there.
- Soul Detection and Attacking: The Soul Stone can detect and attack the souls of others. It is capable of distinguishing between replicas to find the real one's soul and attacking said individual's soul, as shown when Thanos swiftly found the genuine article out of the Images of Ikonn conjured by Strange and blasted them all with the Power Stone while also simultaneously pushing Strange's Astral Form out.
- Soul Containment: Having a pocket dimension called the Soulworld, the Soul Stone can trap others souls or at least the sacrificed, as shown by how it currently holds Gamora inside. It seems to act as a stasis chamber should the wielder be overwhelmed in order for them to recover by enjoying a moment of reunion with the loved one sacrificed, as shown by how Thanos was pulled inside it after he was battered from the severe wounds Thor inflicted and the sheer energy required to wipe out half of all life with a snap of the Gauntlet's fingers, at which he was able to communicate with her to tell her her sacrifice was not in vain as it allowed him to complete his goal but also revealing his immense remorse and pain for having to do it.
- Marvel Cinematic Universe (3 films)
- In the comics, the Soul Gem is green. In films, the Soul Stone is orange.
- In the comics, Adam Warlock is in possession of the Soul Gem, which is embedded in his forehead.