The Loop (Movies)
Do you like this video?
|Writer(s):||James Vanderbilt (early draft)|
|Expected Release:||May 5, 2011|
Spider-Man 4 was the planned sequel to Spider-Man 3 that was cancelled.
- Tobey Maguire as Peter Parker/Spider-Man
- Kirsten Dunst as Mary Jane Watson
- Rosemary Harris as May Parker
- J.K. Simmons as J. Jonah Jameson
- Dylan Baker as Curt Connors/Lizard
- John Malkovich as Adrian Toomes/Vulture
- Anne Hathaway as Felicia Hardy/Black Cat
- All production has been stopped for production on a Spider-Man reboot.
- Director Sam Raimi stated in a interview with MTV he would like to have The Sinister Six built up in the coming Spider-Man movies.
- David Koepp turned down the chance to write the script.
- Director Sam Raimi is a fan of Morbius the Living Vampire, citing his "combination of superhero + supernatural," (Raimi had started out with horror films.) though he's recently stated, in an interview, that Morbius won't be featured. But, he will be mentioned in the coming movies. He stated there will be a New York central villain, though.
- One of the biggest and popular rumors was that Carnage would be the the film's villain, portrayed by either Jim Carrey or Jackie Earle Haley, due to Venom's presence in Spider-Man 3. All of these claims were declared false by Sam Raimi and Sony despite the immense desire by fans for his inclusion.
- A potential opening sequence would have featured Spider-Man battling and defeating various supervillains not yet seen in the film series, including Mysterio, Shocker, Prowler, and Rhino, before settling with Vulture and Black Cat as the movie's antagonists.
- Screenwriter James Vanderbilt was signed on after impressing the studio with his focus on characterization. Due to this, despite this movie's cancellation, he was kept on to write the reboot film as a contingency due to Sam Raimi's departure.
- Bruce Campbell in an interview in which he talked about Spider-Man 4, mentioned that at no time he was going to be Quentin Beck/Mysterio, despite several rumors indicating he would be. However, Mysterio was present in several early drafts.
- Producer Grant Curtis, director Sam Raimi and actor Dylan Baker expressed interest in making the film's main antagonist the Lizard (Curtis is a fan of the character). The Lizard's alter-ego, Dr Curt Connors (played by Baker), had featured extensively in the previous films; in fact in Spider-Man 3 (2007) he was seen carrying out research on animals, which led to his fateful mutation. This plot would be used for the following reboot film The Amazing Spider-Man, with Connors/Lizard being portrayed by Rhys Ifans.
- Sam Raimi expressed interest in filming second unit shots in his home state of Michigan, having considered it for Spider-Man 3 (2007) before opting for the cheaper area of Cleveland, Ohio.
- After much disagreements between both Sam Raimi and Sony, Sam and Tobey Maguire dropped out of Spider-Man 4. Sony later decided to reboot Spider-Man for a 2012 release.
- Disagreements on the movie took place in December when Sony was pushing Vulture as the new editor of the Daily Bugle. Along with re-creating Felicia Hardy into "Vulturess", unlike the comic book where she is Black Cat, they also wanted her to be the daughter of the Vulture.
- In another interview, Sam Raimi instead re-clarified that Anne Hathaway could have been Black Cat, but never clarified if she'd still be related to Malkovich's Vulture.
- During the writing of the Spider-Man 4 script, James Vanderbilt was instructed to write a reboot script, just in case Sam Raimi ever dropped out, which would become The Amazing Spider-Man.
- Sam Raimi confirmed had Spider-Man 4 entered production, Spider-Man 5 would've been immediately greenlit and entered pre-production, with filming commencing after the completion of the fourth film's. Spider-Man 6 was also heavily considered if the fourth film was successful and the fifth greenlit.
- Tobey Maguire, Sam Raimi Sign On for "Spider-Man 4": Report MTV.com, 9-5-08
- Spider-Man 4 Goes IMAX Hits Theaters May 5, 2011 Filmschoolrejects.com, 9-15-09
|Earth-96283||Released||Spider-Man | Spider-Man 2 | Spider-Man 3|
|Earth-120703||Released||The Amazing Spider-Man | The Amazing Spider-Man 2|
|Cancelled||The Sinister Six | The Amazing Spider-Man 3|
|Earth-199999||Released||Spider-Man: Homecoming | Spider-Man: Far From Home|
|Upcoming||Spider-Man: Homecoming 3|
|Animated||Released||Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse|
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.