Read on only if you don't mind reading spoilers for the film.
|Alias(es)|| Steve Rogers|
The Star Spangled Man with a Plan
|Appeared in|| Captain America: The First Avenger|
Marvel One-Shot: Agent Carter
Thor: The Dark World
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Captain America: Civil War
Avengers: Infinity War
- "I'm not asking forgiveness. And I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost its best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to get in our way, we'll fight you, too."
- ―Steve Rogers[src]
Captain Steven Grant "Steve" Rogers is the only living, successful test subject of the Super Soldier Serum developed by Abraham Erskine during World War II; after which the patriotic super soldier became known as Captain America. He fought against the Nazis and their rogue science division HYDRA until he went MIA during the war. After nearly 70 years of being frozen, Steve awoke in the 21st century and becomes the leader of the Avengers. After the Battle of New York, Steve became a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent. He went on several covert missions with agent Natasha Romanoff and S.H.I.E.L.D. counter-terrorism team, Strike. Both Steve and Natasha discovered that HYDRA had secretly operated within S.H.I.E.L.D. for decades. Steve, with the help of Sam Wilson, was able to destroy HYDRA's Helicarriers for Project Insight. When the Avengers reassembled to find Loki's Scepter, Steve acted as co-leader of the team with Tony Stark. Soon after, the global peacekeeping program created by Tony and Bruce Banner called Ultron went rogue and attempted to wipe out humanity. Steve and the Avengers were able to destroy Ultron. Steve now leads the new Avengers. Soon after, Steve and Sam found Bucky Barnes.
Steve is in a unique class by himself. While there are various elements to him that still make him human, the serum has enabled him to be more than human. Overall, Steve possesses remarkable superhuman strength, speed, agility, stamina, endurance, reflexes, durability, and extraordinary regenerative capabilities. In addition, he is a highly trained operative, trained in various forms of hand-to-hand combat, martial arts, weaponry and other skills due to his experience during World War II and the Battle of New York, as well as his tenure with S.H.I.E.L.D. Despite being frozen for almost seventy years, he is still in impressive physical condition.
Following the final defeat of Thanos, Steve chose to return to the past to be with Peggy Carter, the love of his life. In 2023, an elderly Steve would return to pass on his shield and duties as Captain America to Sam Wilson.
Captain America: First Vengeance Prologue
Steven Grant Rogers was born in Brooklyn, New York on July 4th, 1918 to Sarah and Joseph Rogers. His father was an Army soldier who fought and died in the First World War. His mother, a nurse, died of tuberculosis. Young orphan, Steve is attacked by bullies in Hell’s Kitchen. However, Steve's resiliency, despite his small stature, inspires a young James Barnes to come to his aid and fight off the bullies. The two then become friends. Years later during an art class, Steve and Bucky find out that America has joined the Second World War. Over the next two weeks, Bucky trains Steve at Goldie’s Boxing Gym. They visit US Recruiting and Induction Center in New York where Steve is classified as 4F and rejected from service. Steve goes on trying to register in different cities.
"Project: Rebirth" was designed to create the perfect soldier to fight the Axis powers. Rogers underwent regulatory military training and was selected when he proved to be brave, and was willing to sacrifice his life by throwing himself on a dud grenade (which he believed was live). The experiment was successful and Rogers was pushed to the peak of human ability. After the operation, a HYDRA saboteur, called Heinz Kruger, assassinated Erskine and henceforth prevented the creation of any more Super Soldiers. Rogers felt passionate about Peggy Carter, an English military officer over watching his progress. He was denied recruitment into the Army and was used as a propaganda tool. When on tour in Italy performing for active servicemen, Rogers learns that Bucky's unit was MIA in a battle against Schmidt's forces. Refusing to believe that Barnes is dead, Rogers with the help of Peggy and Howard Stark fly him behind enemy lines to mount a solo rescue attempt. Rogers infiltrates the HYDRA factory, freeing Barnes and the other prisoners. Rogers confronts Schmidt, who removes his mask, revealing his "Red Skull". Schmidt escapes and Rogers returns to base with the freed soldiers.
Rogers would later assemble his own military unit, the Howling Commandos, to battle HYDRA across Nazi-occupied Europe.
In the middle of a battle with HYDRA in 1943, Captain America is desperately called for by two American soldiers being attacked with new Hydra weapons. He manages to defeat the attackers, and then contacted Howard Stark in regards to the weapons. through communicating with Peggy Carter, Captain America learns that the munitions found from the battle originated from the mountains of Bavaria based on the rare metal used. Later, He is briefed on "Project: Master Man" and how Dr. Arnim Zola has learned the secrets of the human genome as one step closer to creating the immortal man. Captain America is dropped down in a village near the castle in Bavaria and disables the anti-air force to allow the Allies to safely enter the village. He soon continues towards the armory and destroys the weapons before they are used by the Axis. Having reported to Peggy that the Allies are safe to jump, Falsworth concernedly inquires if every weapon was destroyed just as a radio dish and a hidden cannon emerge which Cap realizes as more of Zola's dangerous weapons. Unable to reach the cannon in time, He heads to the building housing the radio dish, coming across more of Hydra led by Baron Wolfgang von Strucker. Captain America plants charges along the steel support beams of the radio dish tower to destroy it to be intercepted by Strucker, engaging a fist fight. The radio dish is destroyed, but the cannon is still able to fire and hits one of the wings of the plane carrying the Allies. Fortunately, they're all able to parachute out just in time. Strucker surprises Rogers and manages to knock him out as they both fall from the rapidly exploding spire.
Captain America is taken to one of Zola's main labs by Iron Cross. As He enters He sees Madam Hydra give orders for an analysis of His shield. After a short conversation of how his blood was taken, Zola shows his newest project involving test subjects containing the Super Soldier Serum from Steve's blood. Zola "allowed" Him to live just to study Captain America's abilities and skills. He quickly breaks free and proceeds through the base to destroy the samples of Zola's experiments for an army of Super Soldiers, fighting Hydra troopers and making his way to a radio to contact agent Carter. He learns that some of the Howling Commandos are being held near his current location. He recovers his gear and proceeds to free Bucky who then informs him of other P.O.W.s in the base, giving Captain America a radio communicator to keep in touch while Bucky gets them to a train. As he makes his way to rescue Dum Dum Dugan and Falsworth, Zola's experimental Super Soldiers escape not to be seen again. Captain America manages to find Dugan strapped to an examination table during a fight with Hydra agents. After freeing Dugan, he pursues Madam Hydra who has taken Falsworth. He catches up to her and in the exchange, Madam Hydra's face is burned when He throws the shield at a munitions pile. She flees, but he does not follow, instead pursuing Red Skull, having just arrived with the Cosmic Cube, intending to use it to activate the Sleeper. Cap boards a train as a means of entering Zola's special lab where he is working on the Sleeper. Red Skull arrives wanting the upgraded Super Soldier serum Zola created from the Captain's blood. Captain America follows and destroys the sample, angering Red Skull who then orders the Iron Cross to kill him. Captain America defeats Iron Cross and pursues Skull, only for the Sleeper to wake and destroy Zola's lab. Zola escapes and activates a robot body for a future use. Captain America awakens from unconsciousness and finds a map of his location, using it to track down and find Falsworth. Finally locating Falsworth, Zola's drone arrives and attempts to kill Rogers. After defeating the Zola Bot, he frees Falsworth as Zola's voice is heard taunting them. Falsworth reveals that something big is underground that not even the planes can stop. Captain America states that he will go down to stop the weapon while the they try to stop it using mortars and air strikes. He also states that when the evac plane comes, they leave with it, whether or not with him.
Captain America makes his way to the courtyard to confront the Sleeper once more, resulting in it shooting down one of the airplanes. With Dugan's help, he manages to destroy the Sleeper. Upon escaping the exploding castle, Captain America rendezvous with Bucky, Dugan, and Falsworth.
In April 1944, Rogers and the Howling Commandos located Schmidt was in a castle on an island in the Nazi occupied Danish Straits. There, Schmidt studied a mystical Viking rune-stone. Schmidt attempted to destroy them but they survived.
On a mission to a HYDRA base in 1944 with the Howling Commandos (minus Bucky for unknown reasons), Captain America stows away on a small merchant boat, when according to his plan it is attacked by a Hydra sub, the Leviathan, as it is a perfect test target. While they are distracted, the Captain swims to the sub and proceeds to enter and attack the crew, wining it for himself and the Commandos, who anxiously wait in a raft. After finding out where the base is via map, they quietly dock in the base, and on Rogers' count they storm out guns-a-blazin', to find it completely deserted. The team decides to split up in groups of two, all but Cap, having already moved to investigate, leaving Dugan alone. After searching, Cap finds a deserted lab that looks like a war had torn through it. Searching through the notes, He discovers that they were working on creating a literal Hydra beast, just as he receives a call for help from Falsworth and Mortia, who the creature has in its grip. Trying to save them, He throws his shield to cut through a tentacle or "head" which like the mythical beast, resulted in two more growing back. The creature then drags the two under water. Rushing to inform the rest, Steve is informed by Jones that all records indicate the experiments were only on people. The remaining team decide to set charges to blow up the base while Cap goes to try and rescue the others. upon finding the creature's lair in a caved in area, the Captain notices several German names scrawled into the wall, and is then told by Jones that more notes reveal that the Hydra scientist thought that the "Hydra serum" got in their water supply, when suddenly Cap comes across the beast, still with Falsworth and Mortia, and a fight ensues. the two Commandos escape as Cap stays and fights, when suddenly the beast scrawls "Help Me" in German on the wall. Cap then realizes the beast is the scientists, and with ten seconds until the charges detonate protects it with his shield. The beast lives, and he and the Howling Commandos leave, as he reflects on the horrors of war.
The Avengers Initiative
During World War II Cap was in London, where he fought some members of HYDRA.
On a later mission to Red skull's current base in the Alps, Captain America and Bucky boarded a HYDRA train, and upon entering engaged in a fierce battle with HYDRA agents, which resulted in the side of the train being blown out resulting in his friend Bucky falling to his supposed death. A final battle with HYDRA in the Alps saw Captain America's final struggle with the Red Skull, who essentially disappeared when grasping hold of the Tesseract, a mysterious powerful artifact allegedly forged by the Asgardians. Rogers crash-landed the Red Skull's jet into Antarctica before it could destroy cities around the world, leaving him preserved in the ice for almost seventy years.
Peggy Carter remembers Steve as she is stuck behind a desk under John Flynn.
Fury's Big Week
Whilst searching for Steve's body, Operation Frostbite, Fury was ordered by the World Security Council to abort the mission. A year later, Fury had kept a team searching for Rogers eventually finding him in the ice. Fury tries his best to calm down Agent Coulson over the possibility of meeting the WWII hero, of whom Coulson was a great fan.
After seventy years, Rogers was defrosted and kept in a simulated 1940's environment to try and ease him into what was happening.
Black Widow Strikes
Rogers was on S.H.I.E.L.D. screens.
When Rogers awoke, however, he quickly realized it wasn't real, because he remembered the baseball game being played on the radio next to him - he was in the attendance. He then escaped into the streets of a 21st century Manhattan, New York. In Times Square, Rogers was met by Nick Fury who told him that he'd been "asleep" for nearly 70 years.
- "I hope I'm the right man for the job."
- ―Steve Rogers[src]
Rogers met with Agent Coulson; a loyal Captain America fan-boy;, Natasha Romanoff and Bruce Banner, the scientist who attempted to recreate the super-soldier serum but instead created the Hulk. Rogers was given a new uniform and sent to Stuttgard, Germany, where Loki had been sighted. Captain America arrived just in time to battle Loki, but found outmatched and had to be rescued by Iron Man/Tony Stark, the son of Howard Stark. While traveling back to the Helicarrier, Thor emerged in an attempt to take Loki back to Asgard, only to end up in a fight with Stark, which Rogers himself broke up. Rogers protected himself from a blow by Thor's mystical hammer Mjolnir with his unbreakable shield, ending the fight and forming a truce with the thunder-god.
Back at S.H.I.E.L.D. headquarters, Stark and Rogers felt a potentially violent friction between the two of them and Rogers found himself taking up a leadership position. Rogers was angered by the discovery that S.H.I.E.L.D. had plans to use the energy of the Tesseract to build weapons as a deterrent against extraterrestrials. As the Avengers became argumentative over how to confront the imprisoned Loki and the differences between them, the Helicarrier was attacked. Rogers helped Stark restart a failed engine.
The death of Agent Coulson during Loki's escape and the learning of the Avengers Initiative led Rogers and Stark to make the decision of ending the Avengers' association with S.H.I.E.L.D.. Captain America led the Avengers against the Chitauri invasion on New York and arrested Loki, who had been hindered by the Hulk. Rogers and the other Avengers greeted Thor farewell as he took Loki and the Tesseract back to Asgard, and knew that the Avengers would form again when this level of catastrophe were to occur again. Rogers rode off on his motorcycle to discover the modern world he was now a part of.
After Thor killed a Leviathan, Black Widow asked Captain America what he thought of Thor now, Cap stated that he "still dresses funny." Hawkeye looked at Cap and replied "look who's talking."
After Loki was defeated, James Rhodes arrived in New York to help out Tony. Rhodes located Stark in a Shawarma restaurant where he was introduced to Steve and the other Avengers.
During discussions regarding the rebranding of War Machine to Iron Patriot on TV, Captain America was mentioned.
Rogers worked with Agents Natasha Romanoff and Brock Rumlow in order to take down a terrorist cell that had stolen the Zodiac weapon from S.H.I.E.L.D. and threatened to unleash it in Willis Tower in Chicago. Cap jumped out of the tower's Skydeck without a parachute to safely retrieve the Zodiac, counting on Rumlow to stop his fall. Steve questioned why S.H.I.E.L.D. still have this, as they said they had destroyed it
Upon receiving intel that Nobel-prize winning scientist Professor Amanat was in danger of abduction by the mercenary group known as the Cadre, Director Fury dispatched Rogers and Natasha Romanoff to Rogers' old neighborhood in Brooklyn on protection detail. Under the guise of showing Natasha the places that he grew up, they managed to draw out the Cadre mercenaries that had set-up in multiple locations throughout the neighborhood. Tracing the mercenary that had abducted Amanat through a maze of alleyways, Cap succeeded in taking out the last mercenary with a little help from Amanat herself.
- "Before we get started, does anyone want to get out?"
- ―Steve Rogers[src]
Rogers joined Natasha and the Strike agents, led by Brock Rumlow, to liberate a S.H.I.E.L.D. vessel, the Lemurian Star, which had been taken over by pirates, led by Georges Batroc, who were holding hostages, including Agent Jasper Sitwell. Rogers, in a new Stealth Captain America outfit, dived out of the jet armed only with his shield and no parachute. He landed in the water and climbed onto the ship, taking out every mercenary with his speed, strength and shield using various fighting techniques. The Strike agents defeated the remaining pirates and rescued the hostages while Batroc tried to run but was caught by Steve. They fought on the deck of the ship, with Batroc getting quickly back up on his feet even when Steve managed to take him down. Steve continued the fight and knocked Batroc down for good. During the mission, Steve found Natasha extracting files from the ship's computer using a S.H.I.E.L.D. flash drive. He called her out on this as she was supposed to be helping Rumlow get hostages out and placed the whole mission in jeopardy not knowing she had been assigned to this by Fury.
Later, at the Triskelion, Steve confronted Nick Fury about the motives behind Natasha's task. Fury knew Steve wouldn't be comfortable with it, so he asked Natasha to do the mission. Fury reminded Steve that he can't trust anybody, even those who work closely with him. Fury took Steve into an elevator down to the underground level where there were three new state-of-the-art helicarriers being worked on as part of Project Insight, an operation that would connect the helicarriers to spy satellites used to prevent any possible terrorist attacks. This was a reaction to the events that took place in New York, but Steve saw it as more of an aggressive means of tyranny rather than a form of protection for people.
Conflicted, Steve visited the Smithsonian to check out an exhibit dedicated in his honor. Among the displays were mannequins with costumes of Steve's Howling Commandos, and a tribute to his old friend Bucky Barnes, whom Steve saw fall to his death. Steve watched a video of his old love, Peggy Carter, in which she commemorated Steve on his actions as Cap. He later visited an ill and elderly Peggy, who had since been married and had children. Steve then went to visit Sam, who was counseling other veterans suffering from PTSD. After the group meeting, Sam revealed to Steve that despite losing his friend Riley in combat, Sam still loved flying. He asked Steve what makes him happy, but Steve can't answer.
That night, Steve went back to his apartment, and after chatting with his pretty neighbor, Steve heard music from his apartment as he cautiously entered, grabbing his shield for protection. He found an injured Fury sitting on his couch. Out loud, Fury said that his wife had kicked him out, but he showed Steve through text on his phone that anybody could be listening. Before he could say anything else, Fury was shot three times. Steve looked out the window for the shooter. Fury handed him the flash drive and told him not to trust anybody. Sharon came in, armed with a gun, admitting she is really a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent tasked with keeping an eye on Steve. She tended to Fury as Steve ran after the assassin, smashing through the walls to catch up. He threw his shield, but the assassin caught it with one swift move then threw it back. When Steve looked up, the assassin had disappeared.
Arriving at the hospital with Maria Hill and Natasha, Steve observed as the doctors performed emergency surgery on Fury in an attempt to save his life only for him to flatline during the surgery. Natasha asked for a description of the shooter, Steve told her that he was strong, fast and had a metal arm. Rogers picked up that Natasha knew more about the shooter but was unable to question her further when Rumlow told him that he was needed back at S.H.I.E.L.D. HQ immediately. Before leaving Natasha questioned Steve on why Fury was at his apartment, Steve attempted to deny knowing the reason but Natasha pointed out he was a terrible lair. Realizing she was right, Steve chose to hide the flash drive in a vending machine.
Inside the Triskelion, Steve met Alexander Pierce, who told him about his rich history he had with Nick Fury, as well as Fury using Batroc and his pirates as a diversion to retrieve intel on Project Insight. Pierce demanded that Rogers reveal why Fury came to him. Rogers told Pierce that Fury's last words were "Not to trust anyone."
Rogers left via the elevator heading to the operations section only to be joined by Rumlow and a few members of the Strike team, as the elevator descended more agents entered the elevator boxing in Rogers, who immediately took note and realized that they were tasked to capture him. He gave them the option to leave before the fight started but the agents attempted to subdue Rogers with magnetic restraint cuffs. With one arm pinned up against the wall Rogers managed to single-handedly defeat every agent even Rumlow who was using electric baton tasers. He then freed himself with his shield. To evade capture by another unit, Rogers jumped forty stories and landed in the main hall using his shield to protect his fall. Rogers attempted to escape on his motorcycle when he was confronted by a Quinjet that began to fire upon him. Using his cycle Rogers launched himself upon the aircraft and with his shield he took out the wings and engine before landing on the ground with ease using his shield to stabilize him.
Disguised, Rogers returned to the hospital to retrieve the flash drive when he noticed that the USB was gone. Natasha appeared behind him. Angrily Rogers demanded to know what she knew, Natasha told him that the masked shooter was known to the intelligence world as The Winter Soldier and she had encountered him before in her past. Rogers concluded that there must be valuable intel on the flash drive which was why The Winter Soldier was tasked with assassination of Fury.
Rogers and Romanoff, disguised in civilian garb, headed to a local Washington D.C. mall into an Apple store where Natasha attempted to read the file on a laptop but found the data encryption impossible to crack and knew that in the next nine minutes S.H.I.E.L.D. would close in on their position. She decided to find the original source using a satellite tracker to pin point the data origins which revealed a place in New Jersey all too familiar to Rogers. As the Strike force unit closed in on them, Steve and Natasha kissed and their public display of affection allowed them to evade the Strike team.
Steve and Natasha commandeered a jeep heading towards New Jersey. During the drive, Natasha teasingly asked Steve if that was his first kiss since 1940's and if he had experience. Steve assured her it wasn't. Arriving at Camp Lehigh, Rogers remembered his training with the Strategic Scientific Reserve. Natasha, meanwhile, searched for the source of the signal but was unable to find one believing they had hit a dead end. Rogers noticed an ammunition bunker in the wrong location and upon further investigation they discovered that the bunker hid a secret underground office that appeared to have been the foundational roots of S.H.I.E.L.D. with pictures dedicated to the founding members Chester Phillips, Howard Stark and Peggy Carter. Steve found a secret elevator behind a storage shelf and Natasha used a decoder to access the outdated control panel. They took the elevator further underground into a secret room full of a massive computer mainframe, Natasha rebooted the system using a modern looking USB slot and put the flash drive in.
The system awoke and a digital version of Arnim Zola appeared on the monitor, he revealed what had occurred after his capture by the Captain and his allies and when his body was not salvageable, he transferred his mind into software and in that process he helped in forming S.H.I.E.L.D. after War World II but also set in motion sleeper HYDRA agents to infiltrate and take over the organization and for the last seventy years HYDRA had been running S.H.I.E.L.D. as a means to bring the world to its knees. Zola had been working on an algorithm for HYDRA to use to eliminate their current threats and potential future threats. He told Steve and Natasha that some of the deaths of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s leaders had been as a result of HYDRA using their assassin, including Howard Stark. Zola was also involved in the creation of The Winter Soldier program. Romanoff asked what Project Insight was, Zola responded by telling them that they had run out of time; he was stalling. Rogers pulled the grate of a manhole up and, with Natasha, jumped into it and used his shield to protect them as a missile hit the bunker and debris fell around them. With all his strength, Rogers pushed free of the debris then carried Natasha out to safety before the Strike force appeared on site.
Returning to Washington, Rogers went to Sam Wilson, asking for a place to stay temporarily. As he and Natasha cleaned themselves up, Rogers noticed that she was uneasy so he approached her. She said that the revelation of HYDRA infiltrating S.H.I.E.L.D. made it seem no better than her days as a KGB operative. Realizing that Rogers selflessly rescued her, she asked him if it was the other way around would he trust her to save his life. Rogers replied that he would now and that he was glad to know who they were fighting. Sam entered the room and offered them breakfast. Rogers and Romanoff began to piece together HYDRA's plan and realized that Alexander Pierce was their leader and that Jasper Sitwell was also a sleeper agent. They tried to work out how to grab and interrogate Sitwell. Sam offered his help by using a military EXO-7 Falcon winged jet-pack.
With Sam's aid, Rogers attempted to interrogate Sitwell about his presence on the Lemurian Star and involvement in Project Insight by holding him at the edge of the rooftop. Sitwell was unconvinced that Rogers would drop him because it wasn't his style. Rogers agreed so Romanov kicked Sitwell off the ledge instead, sending him plummeting down to the street below. Steve and Natasha engage in some playful banter when Sam flew upwards with Sitwell and dropped him on the roof, ready to talk. Sitwell revealed that Project Insight was a means for HYDRA to eliminate current and future potential threats that have been foreseen by Zola's Algorithm with the usage of the three Insight Helicarriers' advanced targeting system they would be able to eliminate them but also millions of innocent people around them would be casualties.
Acting quickly, Rogers, Natasha and Sam headed down the highway to go to the Triskelion and use Sitwell to bypass security. Unbeknownst to them, they were being tracked by the Winter Soldier who boarded the rooftop of the vehicle and with his bionic arm pulled Sitwell out the window and into the oncoming truck on the opposite side instantly killing him. While holding onto the roof of the car, the Winter Soldier fired his gun below into the car. Rogers took control of the brake switch causing the Winter Soldier to be thrown clear across into the pavement, only for him to stand up without a scratch. The Winter Soldier's Humvee rammed them from behind and pushed them directly into his path, he leaped on top of the car and ripped out the steering wheel. Seeing that they were losing control of the car, Rogers used his shield against the side door as a slide with Natasha and Sam with him as the car flipped over in the middle of the highway.
The Winter Soldier then fired an RPG at Romanoff, but Rogers pushed her out of the way and used his shield to deflect it, sending him flying off the bridge and onto the streets below right into a bus. A crew of mercenaries fired at the bus attempting to pin him down But Rogers managed to evade the incoming gun fire and retrieve his shield using it to deflect bullets and a gun turret. Having dealt with the mercenaries, with assistance from Sam, Rogers went after the Winter Soldier who was hunting Romanoff who he had injured her with a gun shot to the shoulder and pinned her behind a car.
Armed with his mighty shield, Rogers engaged in a ferocious battle with The Winter Soldier who appeared to be his equal as they counter each others swift kicks and punches in combat. The Winter Solider, armed with his bionic arm and a knife, proved to be a challenge for Rogers yet in the course of the battle, Steve managed to partly damage his bionic arm and rip the mask off his face and made the shocking discovery of The Winter Soldier's real identity - Bucky Barnes. The Winter Soldier aimed his gun at Rogers. Sam swooped in and kicked the Winter Soldier off balance just as Natasha fired a RPG in his direction and he disappeared.
Rogers was bewildered by this startling revelation, just as the Strike force unit and police closed in on their position and arrested Rogers, Romanoff and Wilson. Inside the transport back to the Triskelion, Rogers surmised that Zola experimented on Bucky when the 107th unit was captured and that's how he survived falling from the train. Rogers, filled with guilt and remorse, took responsibility for what happened to Bucky. Natasha told him it's not his fault. One of the guards pulled out a baton taser and struck the other guard, revealing herself as Maria Hill. Using the Mouse Hole device, she freed Rogers and the gang and brought them to a secret facility where she revealed to them a recuperating Nick Fury, whom had faked his death. Fury and Hill told them that Project Insight was only hours away and that the helicarriers would hover in a triangle, connected, targeting all its targets before firing. The only way to prevent this was to use three special chips that would take away S.H.I.E.L.D.'s control over the helicarriers. Fury intended to save S.H.I.E.L.D. but Steve firmly insisted that the organization be dismantled after all the corruption it had fallen under.
As Pierce reunited with the World Security Council to witness the launch of Insight, Steve, who had donned his old WWII Captain America uniform, infiltrated the Triskelion and revealed by loudspeaker the truth of HYDRA influencing S.H.I.E.L.D. and prompted every clean agent to stand up against HYDRA. Steve and Sam later managed to replace the controller chips of two of the three helicarriers. But in the third Helicarrier, Cap found himself against the Winter Soldier. Against his own will, Steve fought Bucky, while attempting to trigger his memory at the same time. Steve tries to get the chip in place with only seconds left before Project Insight will initiate he gets shot multiple times by Bucky. He manages though and Hill take control of the other helicarriers. Hill accessed the Helicarrier's systems to modify their targets to themselves, thus they started firing at each other, and slowly fall apart in mid-air. As the third Helicarrier was collapsing, Steve discovered Bucky trapped under rubble. Steve saved him, but Bucky still attempted to kill him. Steve refused to fight against him, and let himself be almost beaten to death. Before Steve passes out he promises Bucky to be with him until the end, a promise Bucky gave Steve decades ago. This halted Bucky's attack as Steve fell off the Helicarrier and into the Potomac River. Slowly remembering his past, Bucky rescued Steve and left him in the side of the river before disappearing.
Steve later awoke at the hospital. Fully recovered, Steve encountered Fury and said goodbye to him. Natasha also met up with Steve, and gave him a dossier on Bucky and the Winter Soldier program. He and Sam then decided to try to track down Bucky.
To be added
- "Every time somebody tries to win a war before it starts, innocent people die. Every time."
- ―Steve Rogers to Tony Stark[src]
All appears to be going well as the HYDRA forces begins to crumbled under the might and cohesiveness of the teams assault, until Clinton Barton is taken down by unknown metahuman assailant with enhanced speed. Rogers orders a regrouping of the team to the Quinjet, While he goes after Strucker and Stark requires the sceptre. Upon arriving at base, Rogers finds Strucker and encounters a second metahuman who is a woman with the ability of telekinesis who used her power to throw Rogers down a flight of stairs. Rogers quickly recovered from the attack and captures Strucker by knocking him unconscious with his shield and placing him into custody.
With their mission accomplished the team aboard the Quinjet make their way back to New York City to their headquarters at Avengers Tower. During their flight back Rogers, Thor and Stark converse on how their quest has come to an end with Thor preparing to leave earth with the sceptre in toe back to Asgard. Tony request permission to conduit studies on the sceptre for three days before Thor leaves and asked if he'd be attending the farewell party. Both Rogers and Thor agree to Stark's invite and grants him access to the sceptre. Inside Avengers tower, Maria Hill brings Rogers up to speed information on the Twins known as Pietro Maximoff and Wanda Maximoff. Rogers realizes that they pose a danger as their intent on causing a war.
Three days later, during the celebration night party Sam Wilson bring Rogers up to speed on his progress in locating Bucky with the trail gone cold. Sam inquires if Steve has found a place to live in Brooklyn yet to which he replies that he doesn't think he can afford a place. Rogers goes to socialize with Thor who is engaged in a alcohol drinking contest with a group of World War II veterans unaffected. Rogers then goes to talk to Bruce Banner about his secret relationship with Natasha Romanoff and how approves of it and that Banner shouldn't hesitate in solidifying the relationship.
With all the remaining guest gone, The Avengers with Maria and Helen Cho relax together and attempt to lift, Mjölnir as sportive competition. Rogers participate and for a moment he slightly moves it causing Thor a briefly cause for concern, but in the end he too was also unsuccessful in his attempt. Suddenly a screeching mechanical noise is heard by the team and a damaged Iron Legion unit appears that introduces himself as Ultron and declares that he is their to eradicate them to achieve peace for the world. Ultron sees humanity as inferior and is need of extinction. Rogers and the rest of the group engaged in a intensive battle with Ultron and several drones of the Iron Legion under his control. The team fight valiantly and manage to defeat them with teamwork, however, Ultron escapes through the internet just as his body is destroyed.
Afterwards, the team gathers in the research area of Avengers Tower, Where they are all disgruntle with Stark for keeping Ultron existence a secret from them. Despite Stark's claims that he believes that Ultron was necessary should another alien invasion occur again to keep the world safe. Thor, clearly furious at Stark's recklessness, charged in a hoisted him up by the throat, but Rogers ordered him to stand down and report his findings. Which is revealed that Ultron and the remaining legionaries units headed north with the Chitauri Scepter in toe. Rogers insist that the team find Ultron first before his next attack.
Ultron sends a deliberate message by murdering Baron Wolfgang von Strucker and leaving the word PEACE written in his blood on the walls of cell. Which Maria hill uncovers and informs Rogers as well as the fact that the Twins have allied themselves with Ultron. Rogers surmises that Ultron killed Strucker to prevent him from revealing vital information as well as erasing all digital references of known associates to cover his tracks. The Team goes through old Shield hardcopy files and discover a former mercenary that Stark had weapon dealings with in the past named Ulysses Klaue who had gathered a stockpiled substance of Vibranium from Wakanda.
Ulysses is found aboard a cargo ship in the salvage yard of South Africa, where he's just given Ultron who is now fully mobilized in a cybernetic humanoid body, a stockpile supply of vibranium. Rogers accompanied by Stark and Thor attempt to reason with Ultron and the twins which is met with little success as Ultron attacks the trio. Rogers launches his shield against a few of Ultron Sentries as well as a few of Klaue's mercenaries subduing them, Unfortunately in the mists of the battle Rogers get blindsided by Pietro Maximoff super speed who punches him off balance allowing Wanda Maximoff the chance to get inside Rogers mind by projecting a vision of a life he could've had with Peggy. The Emotional impact of the vision affect Rogers that he's unable to help when the Hulk is on a rampage in the city leaving it all on Stark in his Hulkbuster armor to deal with him.
In the aftermath of Wanda's manipulation mind games with the team, They retreated into seclusion on Clinton Barton's farmhouse with his family. There the team had a chance to recover. Upon arrival Rogers meets Clint's wife Laura and their children. Rogers sense that Thor is unease and inquires where he's going when he begins to leave. Thor informs him that he's going to try and learn more about the vision he had seen as he flies away. Outside in the field, Rogers and Tony Stark were chopping wood together. They began to have a conversation regarding their current predicament that lead into a heated argument and debate that became more intense leading Rogers to express his temperament out physical by ripping a log in half with his bare hands. Rogers told Stark that trying to end a war before it even start usually results in the deaths of innocent people in crosshairs.
At a time when the team is torn and isolated, Nick Fury reappears upon the seen in their hour of need on the farmhouse and informs them of Ultron's recent activities in which he'd been attempting to cause the extension of humanity with nuclear missiles but was being prevented by an unknown intruder within the system core grid of the ethernet. Bruce Banner surmised Ultron's next objective to create an indestructible synthezoid body to inhabit by using Helen Cho's regeneration cradle, Rogers decides to split the team into two fraction one group would head to Seoul, South Korea, while Tony would see if he could uncover the hacker who was blocking Ultron in the internet from launching the nukes. The team tracked down Ultron at Helen Cho's factory where he was attempting to build a new being. As Ultron attempted to escape in a truck, Rogers engaged him and they began an intense battle, Rogers threw his shield at Ultron but he was able to knock it off the truck. As Ultron began to strangle Rogers, Natasha Romanoff caught up with them and threw Cap his shield back. Soon Rogers and Ultron were thrown onto a train and continued their fight, Rogers was helped by Pietro and Wanda who had betrayed Ultron.
As Ultron destroyed the controls of the train and escaped, Rogers ordered the Maximoffs to assist him, he sent Pietro to move people out of the way of the train while Wanda used her powers to successfully stop the train. By the end of the battle, the Avengers took control of the Cradle with the being inside but Natasha Romanoff was taken prisoner. Rogers recruited the Maximoffs as temporary members of the Avengers.
Back at the Avengers Tower, the team began searching for Romanoff and discovered that Tony Stark and Bruce Banner were attempting to transfer J.A.R.V.I.S.' consciousness into the being Ultron had created. Rogers confronted them and he engaged in a short fight with Stark which was interrupted when Thor arrived and used his lightning to activate the being. The being launched out and briefly attacked the team, only to stop when it stared out at the city. The being apologized and called itself the Vision, promising to assist the Avengers in their fight against Ultron. Vision casually lifted Mjolnir and handed it to Thor, proving his trustworthiness.
The team learned that Ultron was at Sokovia and Rogers sent the team to evacuate the civilians from the danger. Eventually however Ultron made his move and used a device to levitate the city and planned to drop it on earth and destroy the planet. Rogers led the Avengers in the battle against the Ultron Sentries. They knew that if Ultron was able to activate the device's engine he would destroy the entire city so the defended it against a seemingly endless horde of Ultron Robots. At one point Nick Fury arrived onboard a Helicarrier and used it to evacuate the civilians while War Machine joined the battle. Although Thor and Iron Man were able to destroy the device, saving the earth, Pietro was killed in the battle and Vision was able to destroy the final Ultron body, effectively killing him.
After defeating Ultron, the Avengers were disbanded with Stark and Barton retiring, Banner missing in action and Thor returning to Asgard. However, Nick Fury with the help of Maria Hill, Erik Selvig, Helen Cho and what was left of S.H.I.E.L.D. forms a new Avengers, consisting of himself, Natasha, Vision, Wanda, James Rhodes and Sam Wilson. After a conversation with Tony about settling down like Barton, Rogers finally chooses to let go of the past and decided to focus his life on just helping people, taking a permanent role as the leader of the "New Avengers".
Steve Rogers appears in an undisclosed location with Sam Wilson, where they have found Bucky along with an unusual device. Steve is reluctant to ask for help from Tony Stark, so Sam mentions he knows a guy who could help.
- "This job, we try to save as many as we can. Sometimes that doesn't mean everybody."
- ―Steve Rogers[src]
At the Avengers' headquarters, Steve and Wanda is watching news footage of the Lagos mission. The reporter says that eleven people were killed in the hotel. Steve tells her that he let his guard down, and people died because of it. Vision tells both of them that Tony Stark has arrived, and he brought the Secretary of State as a guest, former General Thaddeus Ross had been involved in the experiment that turned Bruce Banner into the Hulk, and then had spent years trying to hunt him down. Ross tells the Avengers that some people look up to them as heroes, but others think they're vigilantes. He shows pictures of the destruction that follows the team wherever they go. Then he sets a thick document down on the table and tells them it's the Sokovia Accords, ratified by 117 countries. The accords state that the Avengers will operate under a panel's supervision, only acting when the panel decides it's necessary. He says there will be a meeting in Vienna in three days, and if they don't sign on, they'll have to retire. The team debating whether to agree to the accords, and Tony pulls out the picture of the boy who was killed in Sokovia. Steve asks what will happen if there's somewhere they need to go, but the panel won't allow them. Tony replies that if they don't agree to this now, it will be forced on them later. Steve than get a text that Peggy Carter has pass away in her sleep.
Steve and Sam went to London to attended Peggy's funeral. There he discovered that his old neighbor Sharon is Peggy's niece. After Natasha shows up, she asked him if he would reconsider his decision of the Accords, saying that the Avengers need to stay together regardless on how. But he still refused and she admitted she was there as a friend. Later on, Steve is in a hotel with Sharon and Sam. When a news report comes in, showing the destruction in Vienna. Security footage shows the man who planted the bomb believe to be James Barnes. Sharon gets a text, and tells Steve that she has to go to work, and takes a military plane to Vienna. In Vienna, Steve calls Natasha he tells her that he has to be the one to bring in Bucky. At a cafe Sharon give Steve a file so he can get a head start on the manhunt. She warned him about German military task force, who has orders to shoot Bucky on sight.
Steve found Bucky in his apartment in Bucharest, Bucky told Steve that he wasn't the one that planted the bomb. Just than the Special Forces task force storm in, and Bucky blocks their bullets with his bionic arm with Cap's shield. Bucky jumps down to the street, where he is confronted by the Black Panther, who scrapes his armor with metal claws on his hands. Steve jumps down and lands next to them, and all three take fire from task force. Steve and Bucky run for cover, but the Black Panther stands still, letting the bullets hit him and bounce off harmlessly. Steve realizes his armor must be made of Vibranium. Bucky runs through the streets with Black Panther coming after him, and Steve and Sam following the Panther. Steve takes a SUV, while the Panther leaps from the top of one car to the next, steadily gaining on Bucky. Bucky knocks a man off a motorcycle, then jumps on himself and guns the engine, driving into a tunnel. Black Panther is still tirelessly giving chase. Steve drives the SUV near Bucky's motorcycle, and the Panther jumps onto the SUV's roof, and then onto the back of the motorcycle. Bucky swings backward, knocking the Panther off, but he sticks his claws into the side of the SUV and clings to its side. Bucky looks ahead and sees Sam flying straight toward him. He hits the brakes, and turns the motorcycle around and drives back past the SUV. Steve throws it into reverse, trying to keep up with Bucky. The Panther jumps into the air, and lands on Falcon's wings. Bucky takes a metal ball and throws it up to the roof of the tunnel. It explodes, blowing a hole in the concrete. Sam uses his wings to shield himself, throwing off the Panther, who went straight through the explosion, unharmed. Bucky swerves to avoid a car, and falls off the bike. The Panther jumps on him, swinging his claws at him. Steve tackles the Panther. War Machine flies in through the hole, and the task force surrounds them all and tells them to put their hands up. They are all arrested, and the Black Panther's mask is removed. Steve recognizes him as Prince T'Challa of Wakanda.
On the ride to the task force headquarters in Berlin, Steve tells the prince that he has the wrong man. Cap, Falcon and the prince get out, and in another truck, Bucky is taken out in a cage. They are met by Everett Ross, the leader of the base. Steve and Sam have their weapons removed, and they are led inside the building, where Natasha is waiting for them. Everett takes Prince T'Challa into one room, and the others are led to another room, where Tony tells them that Secretary Ross wants to have them all prosecuted. Tony says that as a compromise, they won't get back the shield and wings, which are now government property.
T'Challa wants Bucky extradited to Wakanda, where he will face charges of terrorism. Bucky is given an evaluation to determine his mental state. Still in the room with Tony, Steve watches it unfold. Tony tells him that if he signs the accords now, Bucky will be transferred to an American psych facility instead of a Wakandan jail. Steve agrees, but only if safeguards are put into place. Tony brightens, telling Steve that this will get him and Wanda reinstated. Steve asks what he means about Wanda, and he tells Steve that she is being confined to the compound by Vision. Tony says it's the best he can do, since she's not a U.S. citizen and they won't give her a visa. Steve says that she's only a kid, and doesn't deserve to be imprisoned. He leaves without signing onto the accords.
Helmut Zemo, trigger Bucky's reversion to his brainwashed state, with a book containing a list of code words. Bucky pounds his way out of his cell and fights Steve the others. Steve subdues him and takes him away. Regaining his senses, Bucky tells Steve that Zemo is going to Siberia, where there are several more winter soldiers waiting for someone to wake them up and give them a mission.
Steve assembles a team consisting of Bucky, Sam, Clinton Barton, Wakandan and Scott Lang to stop Zemo. By operating outside of authority, they all become renegades. Tony forms his own team, made up of James Rhodes, T'Challa, Natasha, Vision and Peter Parker to arrest the others. In the battle, Ant-Man turns into a giant, distracting Team Iron Man and buying time for Steve and Bucky to escape to an aircraft hangar. Natasha appears intent on stopping them, but she turns on T'Challa, allowing Steve and Bucky to fly off. Rhodes tries to stop them from escaping, but Sam flies after him. Vision shoots an energy beam at Sam, but he dodges and it hits War Machine's Arc Reactor instead, causing him to fall from the sky and nearly killing him.
After seeing evidence that Bucky was framed for the Vienna explosion by Zemo, Tony heads to Siberia to meet up with Steve and Bucky and make peace. They find that the winters soldiers have already been killed, and Zemo, hidden behind indestructible glass, reveals that his real plan was to find footage of Bucky mission. T'Challa had been following, unseen, and he hears Zemo admit responsibility for the explosion. Zemo shows them a videotape of Bucky causing the car crash, and then murdering the occupants, Howard and Maria Stark, in cold blood.
Enraged, Tony demands if Steve knows Bucky was the one who murdered his parents. Steve's attempts to tell Tony he only knew it was H.Y.D.R.A was in vain and he is forced to sadly tell the truth, starting a huge fight. After Tony blasts off Bucky's bionic arm, Steve finds himself engaged in a fierce all-out duel with Tony, who is too angry to be reasoned with and willing to even kill him to get to Bucky. Although Tony's suit briefly allowed him to pressure Rogers, Rogers's Super Soldier and combat abilities ultimately proved to prevail and he defeated Iron Man, severely injured him, and disabled his armor's Arc Reactor with his shield by tricking Tony into believing he was going to the head and leaving the Arc Reactor unprotected. Sparing his old friend, feeling remorseful of how they had turned out as he realized he too had crossed Tony in a big way but unable to let Tony give in to his rage and kill Barnes in cold blood as despite everything Bucky had did, he is still his best friend and Howard would have never wanted Tony to do such an act, Steve aids Barnes and as they leave, Tony defiantly yells that Rogers doesn't deserve to carry his shield as Howard had made it. Acknowledging Howard's part in his creation, Steve drops the shield out of sympathy and leaves with Bucky. Finding Black Panther waiting for them, Steve and Barnes are granted asylum by the new king of Wakanda. After 2 days, Steve formulates a successful plan to break out the Avengers imprisoned in the Raft and taking the first step to his reconcilement with Tony, sends him a package containing a sorry letter and a phone to contact him. Bucky elects to be put back into cryogenic sleep until they can find a way to cure his brainwashing, so that no one will be able to manipulate him again.
- "Hi. I'm Captain America. Here to talk to you about one of the most valuable traits a soldier or a student can have – patience. Sometimes patience is the key to victory. Sometimes it leads to very little; seems like it's not worth it. And you wonder... why you waited so long for something so disappointing."
- ―Captain America[src]
To be added
In Scotland, Wanda Maximoff and Vision, who has the Mind Stone in his forehead, are ambushed by Black Order members Proxima Midnight and Corvus Glaive, but Steve with Natasha Romanoff and Sam Wilson fend them off. Steve and the others decide to return to the New Avengers Facility. At the New Avengers Facility, James Rhodes, who is once again mobile with new bionic leg braces, talks to Secretary Ross over the Sokovia Accords as Steve, Natasha, Sam, Wanda and Vision arrive, and Bruce reunites with them. Clint Barton and Scott Lang are absent because they both on house arrest after Steve sprung them from jail. Steve and the others' main concern is stopping Thanos from getting the Mind Stone. Vision proposes that Wanda destroys the Stone in his forehead to keep Thanos from retrieving it that will cost him his life. Bruce suggests he may be able to safely remove the stone from Vision without killing him, he but doesn't have the technology to do it. Steve says he knows someone who can help.
Steve and the Avengers arrive in Wakanda and task Shuri to safely extract the Mind Stone from Vision. Steve is reunited with his best friend, Bucky Barnes. Proxima and Cull Obsidian send the Outrider army. They arrive and begin attacking Wakanda. Steve and the Avengers, alongside the Wakandan armies led by T'Challa, including Okoye and M'Baku and the Jabari mount a defense against Proxima's forces. Glaive infiltrates Shuri's lab and attacks Vision. The Outriders begin overwhelming the defending armies before Thor Odinson, Rocket Raccoon and Groot arrive to help Steve and the Avengers. Midnight, Obsidian and Glaive are killed, but Thanos arrives for the Mind Stone. Steve desperately attacked Thanos alongside the others, but with no effect. A tearful Wanda destroys the still-implanted Mind Stone in Vision to prevent Thanos from retrieving it, but Thanos uses the Time Stone to reverse the event and pry out the Mind Stone from Vision, killing him. Thor attacks and drives Stormbreaker into Thanos' chest, but Thanos survives, snaps his fingers with the Infinity Gauntlet before teleporting away.
Thanos' goal of eradicating half of all life in the universe comes to pass as people begin disintegrating that include Bucky, Groot, T'Challa, Sam, Wanda all dissolve into ash. Leaving, Steve with Thor, Bruce, Natasha, Rhodes, Rocket, Okoye and M'Baku that remain of the heroes in horror and shock.
After the events of Infinity War, Steve and the other Avengers returned to the New Avengers Compound to ponder on how they would fight Thanos again as they lament their loss. Steve is particularly affected, as he sadly says their defeat was perhaps the greatest nightmare he and the rest of the world had ever seen and even Black Widow sadly but unhesistantly confirms she felt the same by saying she had had better nightmares and that is to say a lot coming from her. As they watch the reports after the Decimation with depression, they are called by Rhodes and Banner who stated that the pager they had retrieved from Nick Fury had stopped transmitting the message to whoever he reached out to before he died. Steve, knowing fully well that even a single powerful ally would be a help against Thanos, ordered to reboot the pager and resend the signal, only for Banner to respond that they had no idea what the signal was for. As Romanoff explained that Fury knew whom the signal was for and that she wanted to know who it was as well, she came face to face with Captain Marvel herself, who demanded to know where Fury was.
- "Avengers... Assemble!"
- ―Steve Rogers[src]
Five years later, Steve helped the survivors on Earth to adapt to their new lives in the devastated world, but was unable to move on from his own past. After Scott Lang suddenly returned and suggested using the Quantum Realm to time travel and change what happened, Steve and the remaining Avengers visited Tony for help. Though Tony was glad to see them, he refused to help, not wanting to risk his new life or daughter. After a failed attempt to make Scott time travel, Tony returned to the New Avengers Facility to help. Outside of the facility, Tony reconciled with Steve and returned his shield to him though Steve was hesitant to accept it at first.
Steve joined Tony, Scott and Bruce Banner in traveling to the Battle of New York in 2012 to get the Time, Space and Mind Stones. Seeing Brock Rumlow and several HYDRA agents take the Chitauri Scepter disguised as S.H.I.E.L.D. agents, Steve boarded the elevator with them and pretended to have been sent by Alexander Pierce to take the Scepter. Though the agents were skeptical, Steve gained their trust and the Scepter by uttering "Hail HYDRA." However, Steve ran into the 2012 version of himself who mistook him for Loki in disguise. The two Steve's fought each other until 2023 Steve distracted 2012 Steve by revealing to him that Bucky Barnes was still alive. Knocking out his past self, Steve escaped with the Scepter, only to learn that Loki escaped with the Tesseract when Tony and Scott tried to get it.
In order to get the Tesseract and more Pym Particles, Steve and Tony traveled back in time to 1970 to Camp Lehigh. As Tony stole the Tesseract, Steve drew Hank Pym out of his lab and stole more Pym Particles. However, in the process Steve aroused the suspicions of a woman in an elevator and had to duck into an empty office to hide from MPs. Steve quickly discovered that it was Peggy Carter's office. On Peggy's desk, Steve found a picture of himself and he observed Peggy in a neighboring room through a window, unnoticed by Peggy.
After everyone returned to 2023, Steve was devastated to learn Natasha sacrificed herself so that they could get the Soul Stone. Using the Nano Gauntlet, Banner was able to resurrect everyone disintegrated by Thanos, but Thanos himself and his army were transported from 2014 by Nebula who had been replaced by her past self. During the final battle with Thanos, Steve was able to wield Mjölnir, using the hammer to save Thor's life and then to battle Thanos. Through the hammer, Steve was able to harness lightning and call Mjölnir to himself. However, even after being joined by the Avengers' resurrected friends and allies, they were still unable to defeat Thanos who got the Stones and prepared to use them to wipe out all life in the universe and remake it so they wouldn't know what they had lost. Before Thanos could end everything, Tony was able to snatch the Stones back from him and used them to disintegrate Thanos and his army at the cost of his own life.
Steve attended Tony's funeral alongside all of his friends and family. He volunteered to return the Stones and Mjölnir to their own times, saying a weighted goodbye to the resurrected Bucky Barnes before he left. Steve failed to return on time and Bucky pointed Sam Wilson to where an elderly Steve was sitting at the shore of a nearby lake. Steve explained to Sam that after returning all of the Stones, he decided to finally take Tony's advice and get a life for himself outside of being a superhero. After Sam commented on the strangeness of a world without Captain America, Steve passed his shield on to him. Sam noticed Steve wearing a wedding ring, but Steve chose not to tell Sam about his wife.
In a flashback to the 1940's, Steve danced with Peggy Carter in the living room of their home, having chosen to stay in the past to finally be with the love of his life.
In Captain America: The First Avenger, Steve has always had an extremely brave, noble and honest spirit, intolerant towards injustice and abuse of power, while also being extremely stubborn and with a narrow focus. Since he was formerly weak and small, he has learned on his own what true strength is, and vowed to protect defenseless people at the risk of his own life. Even before his transformation, Steve is an overwhelmingly self-sacrificing young man, willing to literally throw himself in the path of a grenade to save his fellow man. Steve is a proud American patriot, maintaining his American flag themed military uniform even after leaving the USO. Despite being transformed into a superhuman by the Super Soldier Serum, he maintained his original spirit and character, often being awkward and shy, even in his new shape. After Bucky's apparent death, Steve put aside his misery and vowed to hunt down HYDRA, refusing to stop until all of the Red Skull's organizations were dead or captured.
In The Avengers, although he remains the same man as he was in the 1940's, retaining the heroism he had to his awakening, Steve is weary of the drastic changes the world has underwent in his absence and sad due to how almost all of his old comrades are dead and Peggy, the only one alive, being greatly aged. The great amount of respect given to him due to his past exploits does nothing to change his heroic humbleness, as he still considers those he allies with as equals, openly professes he feels he may not be the one able to lead the Avengers to victory, and showed a lack of thrillness on being treated as a celebrity hero by Phil Coulson, arguably his greatest fan, although he does not take this to levels where he was shy when handling him, calmly leveling with Coulson and even agreeing to sign his cards. Even Natasha Romanoff seems to show a great deal of respect to him, as do Nick Fury, Bruce Banner, Clint Barton and Maria Hill. Despite his lack of arrogance, Steve proves to be capable of taking the lead very effectively in military situations, shown prominently during the Battle of New York, where he takes the lead and successfully leads the Avengers to victory. However, he quickly crossed swords with Tony Stark. This disagreement nearly escalated into a full-scale fight, but the intervention of Loki Laufeyson and his minions forced them to put aside their differences and combine forces in order to fight the Frost Giant, and they made a fantastic team alongside the other Avengers and eventually parted ways in good terms, shaking each other's hand.
In Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Steve had adjusted to modern times but he finds out the hard way that he still is up for a huge surprise, as he is left to realize that S.H.I.E.L.D.'s world views greatly differ from his own in it's willingness to forsake morals and leave certain soldiers, including himself, in the dark of it's secrets. Although Steve was willing to use violence and killing as a means to defend others and to preserve peace and freedom, as shown by the war crimes he led the Howling Commandos into, which crippled not only the Nazi but also dealt some collateral damage, he would always made effort to minimize the damage and felt remorse over any collateral damage that happened nonetheless. Henceforth, Steve was outraged by Nick Fury's attempts to use this to justify Project Insight as a necessary evil to keep order in the world, finding Fury's comparison of the Project Insight to what he did in the World War II to be completely unjustified and wrong, as the one moral that Steve would never break is to use fear to control people, which said project did and made the world no longer need a soldier like himself and take away people's freedom. As such, Steve's sense of right and wrong caused him to lose any loyalty he had for S.H.I.E.L.D as he realized correctly that it is ultimately just like the organizations that controls people that he disliked and he himself stated from the beginning the only reason he worked for it being due to how Peggy Carter, who he once had romantic feelings for, had founded it and believed she had built an agency devoted to justice only to find out the hard way he was wrong, although he does not blame her for it, as it was after she left that S.H.I.E.L.D started doing so and Peggy would never resort to Project Insight. His anger towards S.H.I.E.L.D reaches it's apex after he learns HYDRA had secretly operated within it for decades, as he adamantly proposed and made it clear he would ensure that S.H.I.E.L.D be destroyed alongside HYDRA, a goal that Steve succeeded in doing alongside his friend as stopping HYDRA also destroyed S.H.I.E.L.D. Steve's relationship with Nick Fury and Natalia Romanoff also experienced strain as Steve was angered at Romanoff's lack of concern over the whole mission they participated in and found Fury's justification attempts and staunch loyalty to S.H.I.E.L.D, especially Project Insight, to be unworthy of his dedication and coldly walked out on him. However, Steve was nevertheless horrified as Fury was shot in front of him and quick to drag him into safety and watched sadly as Fury died and tried to comfort Romanoff, showing that although he came to distrust Romanoff and was bitter towards Fury, he still cared for them. He eventually reconciled with Romanoff as she showed multiple times she truly is a good person and despite his anger, ultimately Fury too. Steve then discovered that his long thought dead best friend Bucky Barnes, who he saw fall from Zola's train is now a HYDRA master assassin known as the "Winter Soldier"s. With his sense of loyalty towards his best friend rekindled, Steve saves Bucky and does not defend himself when he was beaten in order to finally make Bucky realize who he really was, although he was willing to fight him to save countless people that HYDRA would have killed with Project Insight. After, Steve and Sam decided to search for Bucky.
In Avengers: Age of Ultron, Steve reassembled with the Avengers as their leader, working to bring down what was remaining of HYDRA. Steve and Tony have different ideas about protecting the world. Tony would create Ultron as a peacekeeping program, jump-started after the fall of S.H.I.E.L.D. with Bruce Banner, in order to replace the Avengers. Steve, having become painfully familiar with the struggles of the common man, would rather give the people a choice and a full capacity for free will, than force an artificial intelligence to control everything around them. He expresses sympathy towards the Maximoff siblings as they had also experienced the same suffering as he had, the loss of both their parents and unjust treatment, and due to this he is quick to trust them after they had changed their ways. However, Ultron sees humanity as greatest threat to the world, he nearly would have succeeded in ending all life on earth, but the Avengers was able to defeat him. It is revealed that Steve fears no longer having to be a soldier as it would force him to face all that he had lost, causing him to subconsciously crave conflict to avoid it. After the battle against Ultron, Steve finally let go of the past, realizing that he is no longer the man he was before being frozen.
In Captain America: Civil War, although Steve has the safety of the people as his top priority, he does not trust nor does he have any respect for the world's governments in general, as he is aware of the corruption as well as the hidden agendas in the government itself, in addition to knowing that it is more than willing to take away people's freedom, as it, alongside his desire for free will, is one of the main reasons why he did not sign or support the Sokovia Accords, another reason why he refused to sign or support the accords; was due to the fact that realize that the world's governments were trying to blame the Avengers for situations that were not their fault to begin with; such as the Battle of New York, HYDRA Uprising and the Battle of Sokovia respectively, as none of them, including Tony, had devastated New York and instead protected it along with the world from Loki, HYDRA's rise was S.H.I.E.L.D's fault and stopped by none other than the Avengers themselves. Neither does he have any respect or fear towards individuals within the government that have high-ranking positions or authority, such as Thaddeus Ross, the U.S. Secretary of State who try to speak down to him, only for Steve to put the arrogantly secretary in his place, stating that the Avengers may come to a decision that he doesn't like; regarding the Sokovia Accords.
Unlike Tony, he puts his morals and honor first, and logic second, he never jumps to conclusions before he gets his facts straight; when T'Chaka, the king of Wakanda was (apparently) killed by his best friend Bucky Barnes, he refused to believe that Bucky was guilty and (correctly) believed he was being framed for that crime, this proves that not only is Steve loyal to his friends, but he also has faith in them as well. After the Joint Counter Terrorist Centre (wrongfully/unfairly) locked up Bucky in a cage, Steve became even more bitter towards the government and he abandons it fully and becomes a fugitive during the Avengers Civil War.
When Tony discovered that Bucky was responsible for the deaths of his parents (albeit under the influence brainwashing and not in control of his actions at the time), which included seeing Bucky ruthlessly murder Howard Stark, who Steve was good friends with and saw much of in Tony, much to his sadness, he tried to kill him in a rage. Although Steve realised, as he is not a hypocrite unlike Tony is, that Tony has a right to be angry with him, as he concealed the secret and also felt ashamed for how he had stabbed Tony in the back by keeping such a secret from him, but he could not allow Tony to killed Bucky and protect him from Tony's rage, as he knew that Bucky would never do so if he was conscious and Tony murdering Bucky in cold blood was not what Howard would have wanted. However, he does still hold onto his friendship with Tony, as he repeatedly tried to convince him to stop and not kill Bucky, but he soon realized that Tony could not be reasoned with. Steve also displayed his sympathy for Tony's plight when he angrily defended his father's honor by leaving his shield behind, even though he knew that T'Challa, who practically owns it, due to being the king of Wakanda, would most certainly approve that he is the worthy wielder of it, also because he respects Howard and his part in allowing him to become the super-hero he is.
He is capable of apologizing or admitting when he is wrong, as he send a letter to apologizes to Tony for withholding the knowledge of who his parents' killer is, as he (initially) believed that he was spare Tony the pain of knowing who killed his parents, when he was actually spare himself the pain of telling his former friend, that was his best friend Bucky was responsible for the deaths of his parents. Steve even sends a cell phone to Tony, call him if he ever needs his help, showing that although Steve has lost complete trust in his former friend as he decides to keep Bucky's location in Wakanda secret from Tony as Bucky is in cryostasis until his brainwashing can be completely removed by the Wakanda scientists due to believing that Tony may immediately snap upon seeing Bucky again, he still considers Tony his friend with a sufficient level of trust and respect to do such an act, a sentiment that none of his fellow rebels does not have, as all of them have completely lost any trust and respect for Tony.
In Avengers: Infinity War, despite being a fugitive for 2 years (following the Avengers Civil War) Steve still retains his desire to protect the world, continuing to fight against terrorists. He remains the same superhero as he was and treats all his friends with the same amount of friendship he used to, even Vision and War Machine who had turned against him, showing he bears none of them ill-will and simply puts the past in the past. He even refers to Tony as Earth's greatest defender, showing that he continues to acknowledge that what happened between them was in fact Steve's fault and bears Tony no ill-will for their strained friendship. He also proves that he will not allow comrades to simply sacrifice themselves to win desperate battles should there be another way, as seen by his disapproval of Vision suggesting he be destroyed alongside the Mind Stone and even when Thanos arrived, Steve never ordered Wanda Maximoff to destroy the stone, instead simply ordering all the Avengers to charge at Thanos. Unlike Tony, Steve's memories of the Chitauri Invasion does not haunt him and therefore he only sees Thanos as an enemy who must be defeated to protect the whole universe and doesn't share the same hatred for the Mad Titan as Tony did. This is shown by how he calmly warns Proxima Midnight that she will not have the Mind Stone and even when facing Thanos himself, he does not show any anger and remains as focused as he was when fighting the Titan's armies and bravely faces him alone despite him having all the Infinity Stones, just like Tony but the only difference being that he did this out of bravery while Tony did this out of ego.
However, his fugitive status has made him no longer care about the opinions of the governments of the world, as seen when Thaddeus Ross tried in a failed attempt to mock him, by stating that "the world's on fire and you think all is forgiven", Steve was not only unfazed by these remarks of his but also coldly corrects him, stating that "I'm not looking for forgiveness and I'm way past asking for permission", he also goes as far as to threaten the arrogant/corrupt secretary putting him in his place, as Steve states that if Ross or the governments get in his way, they are going to regret it; this is mainly due to the fact that they have (wrongfully) branded him and his faction of Avengers as criminals, as they know full well that Helmut Zemo is the true culprit behind the Bombing of the Vienna International Centre; a sign that Steve has lost any respect that he once had for the world's governments after realizing how corrupt they truly are and also proves he does not care he is deemed a villain. He also seems to have abandoned the title of Captain America to an extent, reminded of Tony's anger of him defending Howard's killer, removing the stars that adorned his uniform and allowing it to darken but didn't show much reaction to Vision calling him Captain. Steve, however, makes an exception with Wakanda, as Wakanda's leader Black Panther has proven to warmly accept the Avengers and Steve is shown to be close to T'Challa as a result.
In Avengers: Endgame, Thanos's victory was taken very hard by Steve, as not only has he lost many friends, including Bucky, but he is also left haunted with the fact that he had failed all of Earth and the people he swore to protect are in their greatest crisis. He describes the whole situation after the Decimation as being the worst nightmare he had ever experienced with clear sadness and depression. However, as always, Steve refuses to give up and becomes determined to do whatever it takes to fix what Thanos has did. It is clear, though, that he is still lost in regret and grief as he stated that he does not know what he would do if he could not undo this.
After failing to do so, Steve is clearly left with ever-mounting levels of regret and depression but he tries to help the world to move on, even though he himself cannot. He is quick to agree to take the potential hope the Decimation can be undone when Scott presented the Quantum Realm.
Still remaining calm and composed, Steve proves to remain ever the great soldier he was and does not show any direct antagonism at Thanos. Notably, Steve proves himself to be one of the very few people capable of wielding Mjölnir, something that Thor was unsurprised by. Steve displayed amazing proficiency with the hammer, using its abilities instinctually on a level somewhat comparable with Thor himself, being able to call Mjölnir to himself as Thor does and use its weather control abilities to use lightning against Thanos.
Steve does not show any anger towards Tony when they finally meet again, even with all the bitterness he showed, understanding that Tony did regret what he had did but he was just too emotionally distraught and traumatized after his utter failure to stop Thanos that he was desperate to lash out at him. He is quick to reconcile with Tony after he was willing to bury the hatchet. When the two men reconciled, they did so in a casual manner, admitting that they wanted peace with each other and Tony returning Steve's shield to him as a gesture of reconciliation. While time traveling, the two reaffirmed their absolute trust in one another without hesitation, the trust that had once seemed so irrevocably broken by the hurts of the past. Steve was clearly distraught over the death of his friend and was the foremost of the estranged Avengers in his funeral.
His experience of seeing Peggy in the past and Tony's suggestion that he starts a normal life finally got through Steve and he decided to return to the past and marry Peggy.
Powers and Abilities
- Superhuman Physiology: After being injected with the Super Soldier Serum, Steve now possesses superhuman attributes; such as superhuman intelligence, accelerated perception, strength, durability, speed, agility, stamina, reflexes, dexterity, senses, an accelerated healing factor, etc. The SSS healed all of his ailments, and physical and genetic imperfections instantly, giving him the body of a man in his physical prime. It also prevents him from getting intoxicated by alcohol. The serum metabolized and enhanced all of Steve's natural anatomical abilities beyond the peak of human potential, pushing into the early levels of superhuman condition. It permanently transformed a frail and sickly Steve into the "perfect" specimen of human development and conditioning. The SSS is definite, even without training Steve's physiology surpasses that of any normal human trained to their physical and mental peaks. Steve maintains an overall very healthy lifestyle including a regular extensive and intense exercise regimen and a strictly balanced nutrition diet. This appears to have increased his capabilities further, much like how it increases strength, physical performance and muscle control in non super-powered humans.
- Superhuman Intelligence: After being injected with the Super Soldier Serum, Steve's intelligence is immensely enhanced to superhuman levels; as he can rapidly come up with the most effective strategies and tactics to defeat his enemies; this is one of the reasons why he is such a great tactician and leader.
- Accelerated Perception: After being injected with the Super Soldier Serum, Steve's mental performance has been immensely enhanced to superhuman levels; thus allowing his mind to operate in the most efficient and rapid manner possible. Some manifestation of this is his exceptionally perfect charisma, eloquence, leadership skills, deductive/analytical skills, and tactical genius. Steve has demonstrated the ability to quickly process multiple information streams (e.g., threat assessment) and rapidly respond to any changing tactical situations, by creating perfect winning strategies rapidly. He possesses perfect memory as demonstrated when he was able to perfectly replicate the locations of all HYDRA bases on a map, despite "only getting a glance". He is able to learn anything- he can memorize, understand and recall all kinds of information and skills in extraordinary capacity and in limited time. Even though he was unconscious, he was able to recall the conversation S.H.I.E.L.D. agents had while they were deforesting him. Even with his limited knowledge of modern technology, he was still able to help Tony repair a Helicarrier and prevent it from crashing, or when he quickly gave the Avengers and the first responders an efficient plan to minimize and contain damage from the Chitauri invasion. Since the Super-Soldier serum amplifies personality aspects as well, Steve's brain chemistry is also altered. Though he was brave, determined, and compassionate before, the SSS has also amplified those character traits; this is one of the reasons why he is such a great tactician and leader.
- Superhuman Strength: After being injected with the Super Soldier Serum, Steve's strength is immensely enhanced to superhuman levels; his immense strength allows him to physically overpower combatants, including elite-trained normal humans, extraterrestrial troops and robot sentries. He can effortlessly bend metal bars, slam through solid walls and reinforced glass, and pry open steel doors. In combat, his strength allows for him to send enemies flying several meters in the air from mere punches and kicks. He can even generate enough force to have his shield pierce the metal frame of a Quinjet. Despite this, his combination of strength, extremely effective muscle control and highly refined combat skills makes him an incredibly formidable opponent to those that would try to attack him. During his USO tours, Steve was able to lift a motorcycle frame with three showgirls sitting on top without any strain. With one hand, Steve can lift a grown man over his head and throw him like a rag doll. He was also able to pull himself away from the immense magnetic force applied on his hand by a magnetic lock, which most others cannot achieve. Steve was able to lift a massive metal support beam to save a trapped Winter Soldier, while he was critically injured. He also supported falling debris from a collapsing building to save Black Widow and himself from being crushed. When chopping wood, Steve ripped apart a block of wood trunk in half with his bare hands. He has been able to throw a moving motorcycle at a jeep, toss Ultron, who was in his second body, through a concrete pillar during their fight in Seoul. With considerable effort, he was able to support the weight of an entire car during Ultron's initial attack on Sokovia. Likely his most impressive display of strength to date, he stopped a helicopter piloted by Winter Soldier from lifting off by pulling on its landing gear. In Lagos, Steve kicked a pickup truck several yards with enough force to send an enemy soldier flying away upon impact with this truck. Although his strength was matched, if not surpassed, by Winter Soldier, T'Challa, Iron Man in his armors, Spider-Man, Proxima Midnight, Corvus Glaive, Ultron and completely surpassed by the god-like Thor Odinson, Loki Laufeyson, and Thanos, Steve has proven capable of taking on and even subduing such opponents with his profound fighting skills, indomitable willpower, and work outs further enhancing his strength, as shown when he stood up to Loki long enough to be saved by Stark, slightly staggering him with his blows, restrained the Winter Soldier firmly by the arm and even broke said arm and left him unconscious after an extended period of choke-holding him, later on showing being able to hold off Winter Soldier's cybernetic arm combined with his naturally superhumanly strong arm for a time and effectively enough to avoid being knocked out despite getting overpowered and punched through an elevator shaft, stood up to Ultron's second body and even tossed him through a solid pillar, forced back the combined might of Black Panther and War Machine, knocking T'Challa far away with a kick and grounding Rhodes in his armor while breaking his electro-staff, easily broke out of Spider Man's webs by using it to pull Parker to him and knocked him down repeatedly, pummeled Iron Man in his Mark XLVII Armor and even pinned him down when he had activated his repulsors mid-fight, dismantled pieces of the armor and destroy its arc reactor with a single blow from his shield, held back Midnight's attempt to stab Black Widow, tackled down Glaive, knocked him down with a strong punch from his vibranium gauntlets, and even most impressively, with all his strength fueling his determination, held back Thanos's Infinity Gauntlet hand, albeit not using nearly his full strength, when he already had the Power, Soul, Time, Space, and Reality Stones installed inside it, surprising Thanos, staggering him somewhat with punches from his vibranium gauntlets. He later could make Thanos slightly stumble back when kicking him despite the Mad Titan's armor and was able to hold him firmly enough that Thanos showed some visible effort to break free. In addition, although he cannot compare to beings of god-like strength, Steve has little trouble against lesser superhumanly powerful aliens, as he could easily overpower several Chitauri soldiers, lifting and throwing them away, and with his vibranium gauntlets, he could tear through the durable skin of Outriders and kill many of them off, or robots, as he could overpower many Ultron Sentries and rip them apart with his bare hands. While wielding Mjölnir, Steve's strength was greatly enhanced, allowing him to stagger and harm Thanos with mighty blows from the hammer.
- Superhuman Durability: After being injected with the Super Soldier Serum, Steve's durability is immensely enhanced to superhuman levels; as his bones and muscles are vastly denser and harder than a normal human's, which makes him much incredibly more durable than any normal human. Though he is not bulletproof, he can survive extreme blunt force trauma such as being hit with solid objects like his own shield, or contact with superhuman opponents like Loki, Winter Soldier and Red Skull. With his vibranium shield, he is capable of surviving falls from immense heights that would absolutely kill a human. Steve was tasered, shot, stabbed, caught in several explosions, and took several beatings including; being blasted through a city bus by a launched grenade, falling from the 30th floor of Triskelion, and getting beaten by the metal arm of Winter Soldier in the face multiple times. With his enhanced physiology, Steve was able to recover and continue fighting after taking such powerful blows in efficient time. Another great example of his durability is when Rumlow tried to taze him with the Taser Rod. He was able to resist it for more than 5 seconds with endurable discomfort whereas normal humans would become unconscious within a second of contact. He also dropped down to one if Project Insight's helicarrier at a considerable height. Steve was able to dive out of a Quinjet without a parachute into open water. Steve was also able to take the full power of both Ultron's blasts and Iron Man's repulsors straight in the chest, as well as Scarlet Witch's telekinetic bolts and a super-accelerated punch from Quicksilver, all without any noticeable damage whatsoever, while he got back up immediately after all of these. Rogers was also durable enough to be able to survive being tossed aside by the Power Stone when it was used by Thanos and quickly get back up to stand against the Mad Titan on his own. Even a strong punch from Thanos only does enough to make him briefly collapse and he was quick to once again recover.
- Superhuman Speed: After being injected with the Super Soldier Serum, Steve's speed is immensely enhanced to superhuman level; he can keep up with most standard vehicles and cover a small area such as city blocks within a short period of time. Sam Wilson stated that Steve ran over 13 miles in less than 30 minutes, during their first encounter. Although Winter Soldier and Black Panther has proven capable of outpacing him when they had a head-start, Rogers proved capable of keeping up with them in an actual fair race, as he ran at speeds equal to that of T'Challa in the Battle of Wakanda. In combat, combined with his superior fighting skill, he has proven capable of matching their speed to contend with and even outfight them. Despite being considerably outclassed by the likes of Quicksilver, Thor, Loki and Thanos, his speed, combined with his skills, is still enough for him to combat them, as he was able to catch Quicksilver off-guard and knock him down with his shield, react to Thor's superhumanly fast jump to block it with his shield, surprise Loki and land hits on him as well as dodge some of his attacks, and react to Thanos's attack and land 3 hits on him. When wielding Mjolnir, he was able to briefly overtake Thanos, able to pummel him with mighty blows from the hammer.
- Superhuman Agility: After being injected with the Super Soldier Serum, Steve's agility is immensely enhanced to superhuman levels; as his agility is greater than that of an Olympic gold medalist and leagues above even the world's greatest acrobats. He can coordinate his body with perfect balance, equilibrium, flexibility, and dexterity. He can reach very high places with great ease. While escaping the destruction of the HYDRA base that Bucky was held captive in, he was able to leap from one end of the complex to the other side in order to escape. During his chase of the Winter Soldier, Steve was able to leap outside his apartment into the building across the street. He can leap over cars with simple running moves. Steve uses his supremely enhanced agility to perform amazing parkour and gymnastic moves that would be impossible for a normal human to accomplish.
- Superhuman Stamina: After being injected with the Super Soldier Serum, Steve's stamina is immensely enhanced to superhuman levels; Steve's musculature produces less fatigue toxins during physical activity than the musculature of an ordinary human and his body eliminates the excessive build-up of fatigue-producing chemicals in his muscles, granting him exceptional endurance and lung capacity, greater than of normal humans. He can function in peak capacity for several hours before showing fatigue.
- Superhuman Reflexes: After being injected with the Super Soldier Serum, Steve's reflexes is immensely enhanced to superhuman levels; becoming superior to those of the finest athlete, which allows him to dodge rapid gunfire in close range. Steve was once able to evade a gatling gun's gunfire from a Quinjet as he was accelerating towards the airship on his motorcycle. His auto-reflexes allow him to easily dodge gunfire and respond quickly to fast pace combat. Soldiers are subdued by Captain America before they can even align their weapons on him. His immense reflexes can also be used to attack and counter instead of just defensive purposes, allowing him to punish attacks with devastating counters when fighting extraordinary quick opponents. Rogers was able to catch Midnight's spear with a single hand easily and was even capable of reacting to Thanos's slam, whereas the likes of Loki, Hulk and Iron Man in his finest armor has proven to be considerably outclassed by the Titan's incredulous reflexes beyond his size.
- Superhuman Senses: After being injected with the Super Soldier Serum, Steve's senses have been immensely enhanced to superhuman levels; this allows him to see further, hear with amazing clarity, detect specific persons, objects, substances with his smell, etc. He was able to notice little things such as sweat coming to a man face to cue him off on danger. He has also spotted a HYDRA soldier high up in a tree completely hidden when platoons of soldiers had no idea. His other senses may also be enhanced.
- Accelerated Healing Factor: After being injected with the Super Soldier Serum, Steve can heal much faster than normal humans; he is immune to all infections, diseases and disorders; also Steve cannot become intoxicated by alcohol, drugs, toxins, or impurities. This annoys him as he can't get drunk like his friends. However, it would appear that Asgardian liquor might work on him, as Thor shared some from a flask during an party with the Avengers. For Steve, large cuts and bruises heal within minutes and even fatal gunshot wounds and fractures will mend within an hour or less. Steve was able to regenerate from being shot by a Chitauri Gun directly to the abdomen in a matter of minutes. Any and all injuries will heal and regenerate rapidly and perfectly without leaving a trace of injury. Steve regained consciousness in a short amount of time after nearly dying. His accelerated healing powers also helped him to rapidly rejuvenate to his prime conditioning and capabilities after he was defrosted, as well as it kept him alive when he was in cryo-stasis. It also seems to be rapidly regenerating already perfectly healthy slow-decaying cells.
- Superhuman Immunity: Since being injected with the Super Soldier Serum, Steve's immunity is immensely enhanced to superhuman levels; as Steve is immune to most, if not all types of diseases, illnesses, drugs, poisons, toxins, radiation, disorders, diseases, disabilities, etc. He also possesses physical, mental, social, spiritual, emotional and sexual health superior to any normal human to have ever lived. He has endless vitality, libido and a will to live.
- Superhuman Longevity: Since being injected with the Super Soldier Serum; Steve's aging has completely stopped, due to rapid regeneration of extensively healthy perfect cells; thus Steve has a form of ageless immortality. As a result, after returning to the 1940s to be with Peggy Carter, he was still alive around eighty years later in 2023 despite all of the time that had passed and all of the years he had already been alive before traveling back in time. However, this seems to have its limits as Steve was an old man by the time he reached 2023 again.
- Master Hand-To-Hand Combatant/Martial Artist: Steve is tremendously skilled in the field of hand-to-hand combat and martial arts, with extensive knowledge and mastery over many forms of martial arts. He also displayed a variety of martial arts in his fighting style. Steve's combat style composed of a mixture of American Boxing, Judo, Jiu-jitsu, Taekwondo and Aikido. In addition, Steve also displayed refined fighting techniques, applying characteristics of Muay Thai, Karate, Savate, and Wing Chun. Captain America's combat skills are considered legendary, making him one of the greatest fighters in the world. Even in World War II, when still inexperienced, Steve already proved to be a great fighter, having used his knowledge of combat, his enhanced attributes, and indestructible shield to defeat hundreds of Nazi soldiers and even the Red Skull himself. After being revived in the 21st century, Steve was quickly put into action again; he proved able to hold his own against Loki in combat long enough to be saved by Stark, even landing some blows, despite being unarmed while Loki had the Scepter, displaying more skill in combat and only losing due to Loki's superior strength, and also managed to defeat hordes of Chitauri aliens at the Battle of New York. When a police officer questioned why he should take orders from Steve, the latter defeated several attacking Chitauri soldiers with ease, inducing the impressed officer to follow his orders without question. When he joined S.H.I.E.L.D., Steve received more extensive training, proving more than capable of defeating several armed pirates, soldiers of HYDRA, a dozen Strike agents (while limited by the confined space of an elevator) as well as also having Georges Batroc knocked out in a one on one fight. Under only Thor himself, Steve is the most skilled fighter in the Avengers, surpassing even Black Widow and Hawkeye easily while being casually above Iron Man, Falcon and War Machine, as displayed repeatedly by his superior performance against foes who had outmatched them. He proved more than capable of handling the notorious and extremely well-trained Black Panther, Winter Soldier, and Crossbones as well as the considerably superhumanly strong Spider Man in one-on-one fight, despite Black Panther's already superhuman strength being further enhanced by his suit and Winter Soldier having strength equal to his own and even greater with his cybernetic arm as well as Rumlow's strength being seemingly equal to his with his armor: he was able to defeat Bucky in their second fight, with their first fight likely to have ended in his victory as he had managed to gain the upper hand and knock back the Winter Soldier, and only lost in their recent altercation due to being surprised and still held his own against Bucky before being overpowered, even landing a square blow and blocking most of his blows in a straight fight before getting outmatched in strength by the combination of Bucky's cybernetic arm and his own super-soldier strength, which was far more than what Falcon, Tony Stark, Sharon Carter, and Black Widow could do against him in Bucky's escape, and forcing back Black Panther and War Machine armed with an electro baton, destroying the weapon in process, whereas Hawkeye was swiftly beaten by Black Panther, as well as easily defeating the inexperienced Spider-Man while heavily holding back. He could also pummel Iron Man easily and although Stark briefly outmatched him using F.R.I.D.A.Y.'s advanced combat analysis, it was only because Tony used his repulsors to further enhance the efficiency and he was ultimately able to use his superior fighting skills to defeat him. Steve also managed to defeat hordes of Ultron Sentries during the Battle of Sokovia. While his hands were installed with vibranium gauntlets, Steve was able to kill off many Outriders during the Battle of Wakanda and when facing Corvus Glaive, he initially outmatched him with superior skill, landing solid blows and disarming him, before getting overpowered by Glaive's superior strength. His skill was such that while Stark was completely overpowered by Thanos in his finest armor in a fair hand-to-hand fight, when he made the final stand against the Infinity Gauntlet wielding Thanos, being the only Avenger standing, he was briefly able to hold his own, landing blows and intercepting an attack from the Titan, before getting soundly overpowered. Thanos
- Master Shield Fighter: Over time of training and experience with his unique shield, as well as it's physical properties, allow Steve to accomplish amazing feats with the item. Aside from bashing foes and blocking incoming attacks, he is able to throw it with nearly perfect aim. Steve can hit multiple targets with the same throw by means of ricochet, and could even achieve a boomerang-like return effect, allowing him to strike enemies from behind or retrieve the shield without objects to ricochet from. In Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Steve was able to use his shield in taking down multiple pirates on board, a pirate-hijacked S.H.I.E.L.D ship. Steve's most impressive feat with his shield thus far was that he was able to block attacks from Thanos using his double-edged sword.
- Master Scythe Fighter: Steve displays enough skill with Corvus Glaive's large scythe to fight on par with Proxima Midnight alongside Black Widow and even being the one to disarm her before she got knocked down by Falcon.
- Expert Marksman: Steve can throw most projectile weaponry with great aim and is well-versed in the use of firearms like the military-issued Colt 1911 or the Tommy Gun during WWII and eventually modern firearms, picking up an assault rifle and using with ease. While he knew how to use the modern assault rifle, he did not use to it and missed his targets each time he fires and even slipped from the platform he was and grabbed a wire to stay on the ship when caught in a hail of gunfire from the men that he was fighting on the Helicarrier. Steve also shows high expertise in knife throwing.
- Advanced Military Operator: Steve is well-versed in WWII-era armed force disciplines including intelligence gathering, espionage, escape arts, demolitions, survival, swimming, mountaineering, march or drill skills, cartography, map reading, communications, and army vehicle skills.
- Master of Espionage: Aside being a veteran soldier and one of the world's greatest combatants, Steve is highly skilled in espionage, intelligence gathering, infiltration and sabotage. During World War II, Steve and the Howling Commandos successful raided several HYDRA bases, rescued Allied POWs and captured top HYDRA scientist, Dr. Arnim Zola. After being revived in the 21st century, despite his lack of knowledge of the current technologies, Steve managed to sneak around in the Helicarrier and discovered S.H.I.E.L.D.'s Tesseract-based weaponry. When Steve received additional training from S.H.I.E.L.D., he became an accomplished spy in his own right. He participated several black-ops missions with STRIKE, and helped thwart the HYDRA Uprising. He evaded capture from authorities when he became a fugitive twice (during HYDRA Uprising and the Avengers Civil War). However, Steve's most impressive feat was breaking into an underwater highly-secured prison, the Raft, and freeing his fellow Avengers. Despite being a fugitive of the United Nations (following the Avengers Civil War) Steve has evaded capture and remain under the radar for the last 2 years.
- Master Acrobat: Steve is an expert acrobat, gymnast and aerialist. He often utilizes these talents in combat for both evasive and offensive purposes. Combined with his superhuman agility, Rogers has shown expertise in utilizing flips in his attacks and takedowns.
- Master Tactician: Steve is an accomplished tactician. He is able to formulate battle strategies and his brilliant tactical sense allows him to alter any strategy to fit the changing need of the situation. A prime example is when he formulated the plan to go in first by himself in "the front door" of Skull's hidden base and then after they bring him in, the assault team and then the full force of the SSR came in. His tactical brilliance also came into play during the Chitauri assault on New York, first in organizing first responders to protect the civilian population, and then re-deploying other members of the Avengers to best defend the city with their limited resources (even the usually anti-authoritarian Tony Stark recognizes Steve's tactical abilities and accepts his assignment).
- Master Leader: Steve is a natural born leader, during World War II, he led the Howling Commandos on several successful missions against HYDRA and the Red Skull (prior to his disappearance). After being revived in the 21st century, Steve becomes the leader of the Avengers, and leads his team of superheroes on several successful missions, such as the Battle of New York, the Battle of Sokovia and the Avengers Civil War respectively. Despite being a fugitive of the United Nations (following the Avengers Civil War) Steve has successfully led his faction of Avengers against several terrorists groups or organizations, well still operate in the shadows for the last 2 years.
- Expert Driver/Pilot: Steve is fully capable of driving conventional vehicles such as cars, trucks and motorcycles. He also has at least basic knowledge of aircraft piloting. In the 1940s, he crash landed Red Skull's plane on the Arctic. After returning, he has improved enough to fly a Quinjet.
- Multilingual: Steve is capable of fluently speaking English and French.
- Expert Sketch Artist: Steve enjoys drawing and does so with his free time. He even adds humor and irony to his drawings as he sketched himself as a monkey in the original Captain America uniform.
- Intimidation: As a Super Soldier, Steve commands an intimidating presence to the point where most of his enemies and allies alike, fear him, even Thaddeus Ross is terrified of Steve, but the former tries to hide it through his arrogance.
- Uniform: Steve and Howard Stark both design the suit. It is made of Carbon polymer and it offers a medium level of resistance to gunfire. The helmet also served as a mask. And allows for a sidearm. The shield can be attached to the back. S.H.I.E.L.D. designed his new upgraded suit, it has more flexibility and mobility than his previous suit. The new suit carries a wireless communicator. The uniform is composed of a Nomex and Kevlar fiber. After the Battle of New York, S.H.I.E.L.D. designed a stealth suit for Steve for top covert missions. The uniform is made up of Kevlar-based ballistic component that would protect Steve from gunfire. When the Avengers reassemble, Tony Stark redesigned the stealth suit. The new uniform has greater protection from concussive blows. The suit also have transistors in the combat gloves that allow the shield to return to Steve in battle.
- Utility Belt: Steve wears a utility belt containing tactical devices and equipment for battle. In Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Steve has an eavesdropping device concealed within his utility belt.
- Captain America's shield: A concave disk about 2.5 feet in diameter, weighing 12 pounds painted in its familiar red-white-and-blue pattern with a five-pointed star design in it's center. Constructed by Howard Stark and made from Vibranium. The Vibranium alloy can absorb kinetic energy from impacts therefore making it nigh-indestructible. The shield is also strong enough to combat magic and mystical weapons, such as Thor's hammer Mjölnir, it can also deflect Iron Man's Repulsors. The shield's shape makes it a superb throwing weapon. It can cut through the air with minimal wind resistance. It is also able to bounce off solid objects, such as walls and floors, when struck on its edge and can be ricocheted off of multiple surfaces.
- Wakandan Shields: Before the Battle of Wakanda had begun, Steve was given two-handed Vibranium shields capable of collapsing to be smaller and used for bare punches. The shield's points are incredibly razor-sharp, creating an offensive weapon, being able to pierce the skin of the Outriders. Unlike Steve's previous shield; the collapsing vibranium shields cannot be used as throwing weapons.
- Motorcycle: Steve had a specially designed, high-tech motorcycle during WWII. The motorcycle was designed by Howard Stark and Strategic Scientific Reserve. The motorcycle had rocket launchers, a side carrier for a standard issue rifle, and Steve usually places his shield on the handle bars to protect him from on coming artillery.
- Mjölnir: (temporarily) During the final battle with Thanos, Steve proved worthy of wielding Mjölnir, Thor's legendary battle hammer, first using it to save Thor from Thanos. Steve proved to be quite adept with the hammer, being able to call it back to himself as Thor could and use it to call upon lightning to attack Thanos. Steve later returned Mjölnir to its own time along with the Infinity Stones.
- Strategic Scientific Reserve
- Howling Commandos
- Thor Odinson - Friend, ally and teammate.
- Tony Stark/Iron Man - Close friend, rival, ally and teammate; deceased.
- Bruce Banner/Hulk - Friend, ally and teammate.
- Clint Barton/Hawkeye - Ally and teammate.
- Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow - Close friend, ally and teammate; deceased.
- Pietro Maximoff/Quicksilver - Enemy turned ally, and teammate; deceased.
- Wanda Maximoff/Scarlet Witch - Enemy turned ally, and teammate.
- Vision - Friend and ally (temporary enemy during Sokovia Accords); deceased.
- Sam Wilson/Falcon - Close friend, ally and teammate.
- James Rhodes/War Machine - Friend and ally (temporary enemy during Sokovia Accords).
- Bucky Barnes/Winter Soldier - Best friend, ally and teammate turned unwilling enemy, turned rescuer, best friend, ally and teammate again.
- Scott Lang/Ant-Man - Ally.
- T'Challa/Black Panther - Temporary enemy turned ally.
- Peter Parker/Spider-Man - Fan; temporary enemy-turned ally.
- Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel - Ally.
- Stephen Strange - Ally.
- Hope Van Dyne/Wasp - Ally.
- Guardians of the Galaxy - Allies.
- Loki Laufeyson - Enemy.
- Chitauri - Enemies.
- Georges Batroc - Enemy.
- Ultron - Enemy.
- Helmut Zemo - Enemy.
- Thaddeus Ross - Enemy.
- Proxima Midnight - Enemy; deceased.
- Corvus Glaive - Enemy; deceased.
- Thanos - Enemy.
- Marvel Cinematic Universe (15 films)
- Captain America: The First Avenger (First appearance) - Chris Evans
- Agent Carter (Recycled footage) - Chris Evans.
- The Incredible Hulk (Referenced only)
- The Avengers - Chris Evans
- Iron Man 3 (Mentioned only; deleted scene)
- Thor: The Dark World (Cameo; Loki disguised) - Chris Evans
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier - Chris Evans
- Avengers: Age of Ultron - Chris Evans
- Ant-Man - Chris Evans
- Captain America: Civil War - Chris Evans
- Spider-Man: Homecoming - Chris Evans
- Avengers: Infinity War - Chris Evans
- Ant-Man and the Wasp (Mentioned only)
- Captain Marvel - Chris Evans
- Avengers: Endgame - Chris Evans
- Marvel Cinematic Universe (5 TV series)
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
- Season 1
- Season 2
- Season 3
- Season 4
- Agent Carter - Chris Evans
- "Speak of the Devil" (mentioned only)
- Jessica Jones
- "AKA 99 Friends" (mentioned only)
- Luke Cage
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
- Marvel Cinematic Universe (11 comics)
- Captain America: First Vengeance
- Captain America & Thor: Avengers
- Black Widow Strikes
- Fury's Big Week
- The Avengers: The Avengers Initiative
- Thor: The Dark World Prelude
- Iron Man 3 Prelude
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier Infinite Comic
- Captain America: Homecoming
- Avengers: Operation HYDRA
- Avengers: Infinity War Prelude
- Abraham Erskine: "Do you want to kill Nazis?"
- Steve Rogers: "I don't want to kill anyone. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from."
- Red Skull: "What makes you so special?"
- Steve Rogers: "Nothing. I'm just a kid from Brooklyn."
- Erskine on Rogers: "A weak man knows the value of strength, and knows... compassion."
- USO's tagline for Captain America: "The Star Spangled Man with a Plan".
- Steve Rogers: "You know, the last time I was in Germany, and saw a man standing above everybody else, we ended up disagreeing."
- Loki: "The soldier. A man out of time."
- Steve Rogers: "I'm not the one who's out of time." (Black Widow attacks in a Shield aircraft, Loki returns fire and proceeds to battle Steve, knocking him down)
- Loki: "Kneel."
- Steve Rogers: "Not today!" (Steve proceeds to flip and knocks Loki back with a swift kick)
- Steve Rogers: "Big man in a suit of armor. Take that away, what are you?"
- Tony Stark: "Genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist."
- Steve Rogers: "I know guys with none of that worth ten of you."
- Natasha Romanoff: "How do we do this?"
- Steve Rogers: "As a team!"
- Tony Stark: "Call it, Captain."
- Steve Rogers: "All right, listen up! Until we can close that portal, our priority is containment. Barton, I want you on that roof, eyes on everything. Call out patterns and strays. Stark, you've got the perimeter. Anything gets more than three blocks out, you turn it back or you turn it to ash. Thor, you've gotta try and bottleneck that portal, slow them down. You've got the lightning - light the bastards up! [turns to Black Widow] You and me, we stay here on the ground, keep the fighting here. And Hulk? [Hulk looks down at him] ...Smash. [Hulk smiles and jumps off into battle]"
- Nick Fury: "We're gonna neutralize a lot of threats before they even happen."
- Steve Rogers: "I thought the punishment usually came after the crime."
- Nick Fury: "S.H.I.E.L.D. takes the world as it is, not as we like it to be."
- Steve Rogers: "This isn't freedom; this is fear."
- Steve Rogers: "The price of freedom is high. And it's a price I'm willing to pay. You told me not to trust anyone. This is how it ends. Everything goes."
- Nick Fury: "Looks like you're giving the orders now, Captain."
- Steve Rogers: "Damn right."
- Sam Wilson: "How do we know the good guys from the bad guys?"
- Steve Rogers: "If they're shooting at you, they're bad."
- Steve Rogers: Attention all SHIELD agents, this is Steve Rogers. You've heard a lot about me in the last few days, some of you were even ordered to hunt me down. But I think it's time you know the truth. SHIELD is not what we thought it was, it's been taken over by HYDRA. Alexander Pierce is their leader. STRIKE and Insight crews are HYDRA as well. We don't know how many more, but I know they're in the building. They could be standing right next to you. They almost have what they want: absolute control. They shot Nick Fury, and it won't end there. If you launch those Helicarriers today, HYDRA will be able to kill anyone that stands in their way, unless we stop them. I know I'm asking a lot. The price of freedom is high, always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not."
- Steve Rogers: "I'm not gonna fight you. You're my friend."
- The Winter Soldier: "You're my mission!"
- Steve Rogers: "Then finish it, 'cause I'm with you to the end of the line."
Behind the scenes
- Digital processing was used to make Chris Evans look small and skinny for the pre-Super Soldier Serum scenes in Captain America: The First Avenger.
- Paul Warren (an experienced film double and actor mostly known for roles wearing prosthetics) was used in pre-production to help develop the 'Skinny Steve Rogers' effect by CGI supervisor, Christopher Townsend, as well as one of the 'Skinny Steve' on set stand-ins. English Shakespearean trained stage actor, Leander Deeny, was used as the on set 'Skinny Steve' double when Chris Evans was sitting or lying down, or when a minimum of physical movement was required.
- Regarding the extent of the character's abilities, Evans remarked, "He would crush the Olympics. Any Olympic sport he's gonna dominate. He can jump higher, run faster, lift stronger weight, but he can be injured. He could roll an ankle and be out for the season. He's not perfect, he's not untouchable. So a lot of the effects, if I'm going to punch someone they're not going to put them on a cable and fly them back 50 feet, but he's going to go down, probably not getting back up, which I think humanizes it. It makes it something that, again, I think everyone can relate to a little bit more, which I really like."
- Evans stated that Steve Rogers is much darker in The Avengers explaining, "It’s just about him trying to come to terms with the modern world. You’ve got to imagine, it’s enough of a shock to accept the fact that you’re in a completely different time, but everybody you know is dead. Everybody you cared about... He was a soldier, obviously, everybody he went to battle with, all of his brothers in arms, they’re all dead. He’s just lonely. I think in the beginning it’s a fish out of water scene, and it’s tough. It’s a tough pill for him to swallow. Then comes trying to find a balance with the modern world."
- Regarding the dynamic between Captain America and Tony Stark, Evans remarked, "I think there's certainly a dichotomy—this kind of friction between myself and Tony Stark, they're polar opposites. One guy is flash and spotlight and smooth, and the other guy is selfless and in the shadows and kind of quiet and they have to get along. They explore that, and it's pretty fun".
- Chris Evans comments on where 'Captain America' essentially stands in The Avengers. "I don't think he's the coolest guy—he's far from it. He's a straight- shooter. He's probably pretty boring as far as a character goes, but I feel like he grounds things. When you have these giant personalities and egos, there needs to be someone who brings them back down and reminds that this is a team, not the individual show."
- For Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Chris Evans truly had mixed martial arts training as the fighting techniques he employed in the film were a mixture of parkour, Brazilian jiu jitsu, karate and boxing. The filmmakers believed that bringing Steve Rogers into the modern day also meant that he had studied and mastered modern fighting styles and techniques. With an acrobatic approach to fighting being featured in the film, Chris Evans willingly engaged in gymnastics training. That training had a big payoff for Evans when it came time to shoot fight sequences like the elevator fight.
- Before Chris Evans was cast as Captain America, Sam Worthington and Will Smith were in early talks for the role of Captain America. Later on Garrett Hedlund, Channing Tatum, Scott Porter, Mike Vogel, Sebastian Stan, Wilson Bethel, John Krasinski, Michael Cassidy, Chace Crawford, Derek Theler and Jensen Ackles were on the final shortlist for the role. Kellan Lutz, Ryan Phillippe and Alexander Skarsgård carried out auditions in case Evans wasn't going to do the role. Stan would later be cast as Bucky in the film.
- Chris Evans almost turned down the role.
- Captain America is not the first Marvel hero to be played by Chris Evans. He previously played the role of Human Torch in the Fantastic Four films directed by Tim Story.
- In Iron Man, a prototype of Captain America's shield is visible in the background when Pepper Potts discovers Tony Stark is Iron Man. It is seen again in Iron Man 2 when found by Phil Coulson in Tony's workshop, inquiring with urgency where he got it from, and Tony uses it to suspend his homemade particle accelerator. It can be assumed that it was created by Howard Stark and given to his son after his assassination. The fate of the shield is unknown. It is believed to be of no significance to the series, as it was inserted into the films as a joke by director Jon Favreau.
- In an alternate opening to The Incredible Hulk, which can be found on the DVD, Bruce Banner can be seen attempting to commit suicide on top of a glacier, instead transforming into The Hulk before he can do it, smashing the Glacier. A freeze frame shot of the crumbling glacier shows Captain America in the ice.
- The Super Soldier Serum is a main plot element in The Incredible Hulk, giving Emil Blonsky his powers. The "one successful test subject" (Captain America) is also referenced in the film.
- In Captain America: The First Avenger, the government doesn't want Steve to be in the field, instead wanting him to be a performer to inspire the soldiers. But when he hears that his good friend Bucky and many other soldiers had been captured and were being held by Hydra, he breaks out with the help of Howard Stark to go rescue the captured troops.
- In the film, before Rogers gets his signature trademark circular shield, he is seen using three different shields. The first time he uses a garbage can lid as a shield when he's getting beat up by a bully in the ally. The second time he uses a cab door as a protective shield when Heinz Kruger fires a gun at him. The third time he uses a triangular shield during a musical tour and later ends up using it as a weapon on his first mission.
- In The Incredible Hulk, General Ross refers to the Super Soldier formula.
- Due to the Super Soldier Serum, his metabolism burns four times faster than the average person. Therefore, he can not get drunk.
- Steve Rogers originally drinks the Super Soldier formula, while in the film Steve is transformed into Captain America with a whole special equipment, designed by Abraham Erskine and Howard Stark.
- Steve Rogers was an artist before becoming Captain America; Hitler was also an artist before he became Führer of the Third Reich. This is ironic, as Captain America was fighting Nazis.
- In The Incredible Hulk, when Tony Stark is talking to General Ross, Stark says the Super Soldier program was "put on ice," referring to Captain America's frozen body.
- In Captain America: The First Avenger, many kids and a soldier are seen reading Captain America Comics #1, the first Captain America comic ever published.
- When Bucky takes Steve to the World's Fair near the beginning of the film he says, "We're going to the future" - a foreshadowing that Steve Rogers will actually go to the future at the end of the film.
- According to Steve's WWII enlistment form, his birth date is July 4th 1918, making him twenty-five in 1943. Decades later in 2011, when he wakes up after almost seventy years, he is ninety-three (in Earth years). However, due to being frozen for so long and his fast metabolism, he still appears young.
- When Steve awakens for the first time in almost seventy years in the '40's-style "recovery room", he hears the archive remains of a vintage Ebbets Field game from May 1941 on an old-fashioned radio and knows because he was there. This is actually a reference to a real baseball game played at Ebbets Field on May 25th '41, where Pete Reiser of the Brooklyn Dodgers hit the park grand slam. Sportscaster, Red Barber, is believed to have been the game's announcer (as heard by Steve on the radio) because he was with Ebbets Field at the time. Also, since Steve's birth date is July 4th 1918, he was twenty-two at the time of the game since he turned twenty-three on July 4th '41. All together, this is two years behind '43 when Steve became Cap at twenty-five.
- Steve's screen time in The Avengers is 37:42.
- In Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Steve Rogers wears a variation of the Commander Rogers suit from the comics that Steve wore during his time as a secret black-ops agent in S.H.I.E.L.D. before returning to his traditional uniform.
- The scene where Captain America jumps out of a plane without bothering to use a parachute is a homage to a similar scene from the first issue of "The Ultimates" comic.
- It was Robert Downey Jr. who convinced Evans to played the character.
- Steve's screen time in Avengers: Age of Ultron is 50:25.
- Steve's screen time in Captain America: Civil War is 36:00.
|The Avengers Characters|
|The Avengers||Iron Man | Hulk | Black Widow | Thor | Captain America | Hawkeye|
|S.H.I.E.L.D.||Nick Fury | Phil Coulson | Maria Hill|
|Others||Loki Laufeyson | Chitauri | Erik Selvig | J.A.R.V.I.S. | Pepper Potts|