|Appeared in||Avengers: Endgame|
Thanos was a galactic warlord Titan sought the Infinity Stones with his followers, the Black Order. Upon discovering the fate of his future self and learning the Avengers' plan to reverse what he had accomplished, Thanos travelled to 2023 and intended to wipe out all life in the universe and start over from scratch. Thanos' plans were ultimately defeated by the Avengers and their allies, and Thanos fell victim to the power of the Infinity Stones himself at the hands of Tony Stark.
- "I am... inevitable."
While in 2014, Nebula's cybernetic implants connected with those of her past self and allowed the 2014 Thanos to learn of everything that had happened. Thanos captured the future Nebula and sent her 2014 self back in her place.
As Bruce Banner used the Infinity Stones to resurrect everyone killed by Thanos, the 2014 Nebula used the time machine to transport the 2014 Thanos, his ship and his army to the present, sparking a final battle between Thanos, the Guardians of the Galaxy, the Avengers and all of their allies. As the battle raged, Thanos was able to get the Infinity Stones which he intended to use to wipe out all life in the galaxy and then remake it. At the last moment, Tony Stark managed to steal the Infinity Stones back and with a snap of his fingers, disintegrated Thanos and his army, killing the Mad Titan once and for all at the cost of his own life.
Thanos contained many of the traits of the 2018 version as he was the same individual from 2014. However, that Thanos had the benefit of foresight due to the knowledge he gained from Nebula's memories which showed Thanos that he would succeed. However, seeing the Avengers efforts to undo the the 2018 Thanos' Decimation, this Thanos decided to go even further than the original by wiping out all life in the universe so no one would ever remember the way it was before and then rebuild it from scratch using the power of the Infinity Stones.
When defeated and on the verge of death, both Thanos' appeared to accept their fate. The 2018 Thanos didn't resist his decapitation by Thor or the Avengers holding him down when the 2014 Thanos, after looking around at his disintegrating army, simply sank to his knees and awaited his own disintegration.
Powers and Abilities
- Titan Physiology: Thanos was an extraordinarily powerful Titan, quite possibly the most powerful in existence, his power was known and feared among many in the galaxy, with some such as Korath even deeming him as the most powerful being in the entire universe and Rocket describing Thanos as the "toughest there was". His power was displayed by his ability to wield the power of all six Infinity Stones without harm, a feat that only a few known individuals have been able to survive. Even without the Infinity Stones, the 2014 Thanos proved his power by overpowering everyone in his way but Captain Marvel and only being killed; due to being outsmarted instead of overpowered.
- Superhuman Strength: Thanos was far stronger than normal humans and most other extraterrestrial beings; for example, he was one of the few known individuals to be able to brandish all six Infinity Stones, with ease, which made him one of the strongest, if not the strongest being in the entire universe. Even without the Infinity Stones, the 2014 Thanos displayed his strength by overpowering the combined might of Iron Man, Captain America and Thor, sending them flying with a single brute blow, and he was able to spin his sword with enough force to deflect Iron Man's empowered repulsor and easily raise Iron Man and have him take Thor's blow and then brutally toss aside and punch Thor hard enough to make him bleed quite badly before nearly using Stormbreaker to gut open Thor's chest despite Thor's resistance. Once Captain America had stopped bombarding him from ranged attacks with Mjölnir, Thanos was able to easily slam him to the ground with enough force to hurt him and disarm him of the hammer with a single blow and even proved capable of breaking Captain America's vibranium shield with mere brute force using his Double-Edged Sword. Later on, with a single hand, he was able to stop Thor from using Stormbreaker against him and hold him at bay even when he amplified his strength using Mjolnir as well and despite Steve's restrain allowing Thor to nearly behead him, Thanos was eventually able to free himself with some effort and proceeded to overpower Thanos. He was also able to hold his own while grappling with a fully-powered Captain Marvel and threw her across the battlefield as well, although a direct headbutt from him ultimately did not faze her and forced the mad Titan to use the Power Stone to amplify his might and beat her.
- Superhuman Durability: Thanos was far more durable than normal humans and most other extraterrestrial beings; for example, he was capable of easily handling the Infinity Stones without being harmed and even wielding the power of all six Stones with the Nano Gauntlet.
- Superhuman Reflexes: Thanos' reflexes were much faster than normal humans and most other extraterrestrial beings.
- Superhuman Speed: Thanos was much faster than normal humans and most other extraterrestrial beings.
- Superhuman Stamina: Thanos possessed far more stamina than normal humans and most other extraterrestrial beings, allowing him to remain physically active for long periods of time; Thanos was thus able to fight in the prolonged Battle of Earth, engaging numerous powerful foes such as Thor, Captain America, Iron Man and Captain Marvel, without strain and was only stopped by Iron Man using the Infinity Stones to kill him.
- Accelerated Healing Factor: Thanos' metabolism allowed him to heal much faster, more extensively and efficiently than normal humans and most other extraterrestrial beings; for example, any injury he suffered from the Avengers and Guardians was quickly healed the moment he withdrew, except for the burn wounds inflicted on him by the Gauntlet.
- Immortality: Thanos was immortal; as he could not be killed by most natural means or most supernatural means, as well as the fact that he did not visibly age.
- Genius Level-Intellect: Even in Thanos' youth, he was deemed a genius among his kind, despite his deformation, his long life has allowed Thanos to refine his intellectual aptitude to the highest degree, making him exceptionally intelligent. Hence, due to Thanos' intellectual genius; he is quite possibly the most intelligent individual in the entire universe.
- Master Tactician: Thanos is an exceptionally accomplished tactician, with centuries of experience in using strategies. Thanos' mastery and experience in using strategy and tactics allows him to create extremely complex and well-coordinated plans and execute them effectively.
- Master Manipulator: Thanos is an exceptionally skillful and experienced manipulator.
- Master Leader: Thanos is an exceptional leader, as he was able to lead the Outriders and Chitauri armies, despite their savagery and inspire absolute loyalty into his Black Order children. Thanos' outstanding leadership was displayed by the fact that he was known for having led his forces with such efficiency as to having easily decimated many species and killing half of said species during his mission to re-balance the universe. Thanos later displayed his leadership by effectively leading his full army against the Avengers, Masters of the Mystic Arts, Wakanda, Asgardians and more during the Battle of Earth to a standstill and was only defeated when Iron Man used the Infinity Stones to destroy him and his army.
- Master Hand-To-Hand Combatant: Thanos is an exceptionally skilled hand-to-hand combatant, with millennia of fighting experience. He displayed his extraordinary combat skills by being able to fight off Thor, Captain America and Iron Man simultaneously with the help of his sword, easily knocking off their initial attempts before easily defeating Iron Man and Captain America, and overcoming Thor with Stormbreaker quickly even after he had been disarmed of his sword. Although initially matched by Captain America using Mjölnir; however, Thanos was able to turn the tides against him, forcing him back and disarming him of the hammer. He later managed to fend off Thor using both Mjölnir and Stormbreaker, and even could break free of Steve's attempts to restrain him while also forcing back Thor. He was also able to surpass Captain Marvel during his first confrontation in the final battle and although he was momentarily overcome by Marvel in his second confrontation, he was able to easily overpower her.
- Master Swordsman: Thanos possesses extraordinary skill in the use of his double-blade sword in battle, capable of easily fighting off coordinated assaults from Thor, Captain America and Iron Man, with him having been able to spin it with enough efficiency to block Iron Man's repulsors when it was powered by Thor's lightning while simultaneously overcoming it and block an attack from Thor using Stormbreaker after just having thrown it and failed to hit him, although he got disarmed, as well as quickly overwhelm Captain America armed with both Mjölnir and his shield and stab his leg before near-entirely dominating and destroying his shield. Thanos also was able to face Scarlet Witch with it, having managed to easily cut through the projectiles she launched at him as well as block her energy shots and nearly managed to defeat her, pushing down on her with his sword, thereby forcing her to use her powers to disarm him. Thanos was also able to throw it with such skill as to achieve a boomerang-like effect. His precision was enough to be able to hit and knock down Black Panther when the latter was moving at super speeds as well as explode the quantum tunnel so as to prevent Captain Marvel from escaping with the gauntlet.
- Intimidation: As a galactic warlord, Thanos commands an intimidating presence to the point where many of his enemies across the universe fear him.
- Arrogance: Due to being a galactic warlord for centuries, Thanos had developed a ego which allowed Tony Stark, who had learned from his previous mistakes, to trick and defeat him.
- Decapitation: According to Thanos himself, the only way to permanently kill him, is to cut off his head from his body.
- Infinity Stones: Thanos was vulnerable to the power of the Infinity Stones. Tony Stark was able to use the power of the Stones to disintegrate the altered timeline Thanos and his army in the same manner Thanos disintegrated half of all life in the universe.
- Black Order
- Gamora - Adopted daughter and ally turned enemy.
- Nebula - Adopted daughter and ally; deceased.
- Ebony Maw - Adoptive son, herald and ally; deceased.
- Cull Obsidian - Adoptive son, ally and subordinate; deceased.
- Proxima Midnight - Adoptive daughter, ally and subordinate; deceased.
- Corvus Glaive - Adoptive son, ally and subordinate; deceased.
- Chitauri - Subordinates.
- Leviathans - Subordinates.
- Outriders - Subordinates.
- Sakaarans - Subordinates.
- Steve Rogers/Captain America - Enemy.
- Tony Stark/Iron Man - Enemy and killer; deceased.
- Bruce Banner/Hulk - Enemy.
- Clint Barton/Hawkeye - Enemy.
- Thor Odinson - Enemy.
- Sam Wilson/Falcon - Enemy.
- Scott Lang/Ant-Man - Enemy.
- Peter Parker/Spider-Man - Enemy.
- Wanda Maximoff/Scarlet Witch - Enemy.
- James Rhodes/War Machine - Enemy.
- Captain Marvel/Carol Danvers - Enemy.
- Masters of the Mystic Arts
- Golden Tribe
- Guardians of the Galaxy
- Bucky Barnes/Winter Soldier - Enemy.
- Hope van Dyne/Wasp - Enemy.
- Marvel Cinematic Universe (1 film)
- Avengers: Endgame (First appearance) - Josh Brolin
Behind the scenes
To be added
- In the comics, Thanos is the master of the Infinity Gauntlet, which he used in the eponymous series in an attempt to court Death. He was also one of the many users of the Cosmic Cube.