Read on only if you don't mind reading spoilers for the film.
- "Humans are odd. They think order and chaos are somehow opposites and try to control what won't be. But there is grace in their failings."
Sometime after the events of the Battle of Earth, Vision's body was recovered by S.W.O.R.D. who, under the authorisation of the acting director Tyler Hayward, worked on reassembling what they considered a sentient weapon. Vision was ultimately brought back online by Hayward, after he acquired traces of Wanda Maximoff's magic.
Initially, Vision was programmed by Hayward to kill Wanda and the Hex Vision. However, after getting into a direct confrontation with the Hex Vision, the latter restored his memories, freeing him from Hayward's control.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Character traits
- 3 Powers and Abilities
- 4 Relationships
- 5 Appearances/Actors
- 6 Behind the scenes
- 7 Trivia
- 8 Gallery
- 8.1 Avengers: Age of Ultron
- 8.2 Captain America: Civil War
- 8.3 Avengers: Infinity War
- 8.4 Avengers: Endgame
- 8.5 WandaVision
- 9 Videos
- 10 See Also
Ultron forced Helen Cho to use her synthetic-tissue technology to create a new robotic body using the Infinity Stone from Loki's Scepter and the Vibranium that was stolen from Wakanda with the intent of uploading his programming into a new vessel and realizing his "vision". Scarlet Witch, having discovered Ultron's extinction plan through reading his mind in the organic-metal body, freed Cho from mind control and escaped with her brother. Captain America, Hawkeye, and Black Widow took possession of Cho's machinery with the body inside; Hawkeye brought it back to Avengers Tower while Black Widow was taken hostage by Ultron.
At Avengers Tower, Tony Stark suggested uploading J.A.R.V.I.S. into the body but received opposition from Dr. Banner. Captain America, Scarlet Witch, and Quicksilver arrived and the heroes began to fight amongst themselves. Thor arrived suddenly, and awakened the android using lightning from his hammer. The android momentarily charged Thor and was thrown before levitating and examining his reflection in a window. He explained to the team his desire to stop Ultron and handed Thor his hammer, much to the surprise of everyone in the room. Vision accompanied the Avengers back to Sokovia to stop Ultron.
Vision, in a confrontation with Ultron, eliminated Ultron's ability to escape through the internet. He fought the drones and used the gem on his forehead as a laser beam. After the city was destroyed and Ultron was ripped apart, Vision tracked the last Ultron drone to the perimeter of the city. They discussed humanity's flaws and Vision pointed out his faith in them before destroying the last drone.
Vision relocated to the New Avengers Facility as one of the new recruits to the Avengers, along with Scarlet Witch, Falcon and War Machine.
- "I wish to understand it, the more I do, the less it can control me!"
Since his conception at the hands of Tony Stark in the battle against Ultron, Vision has been accepted as a member of the Avengers team, but he is still trying to find his footing in the human world and understand the extent of his seemingly limitless power. Vision sides with Tony in the conflict as he believes, logically, it is the safest way to protect the world.
Vision and Scarlet Witch became lovers and moved to Scotland together. Vision turned off his transponder two weeks ago to the chagrin of Captain America and the other Avengers (he promised to stay reachable). They wanted to find and protect him against Thanos, who they knew was after the six Infinity Stones. He and Wanda were indeed attacked by Proxima Midnight and Corvus Glaive and nearly defeated until Captain America, Black Widow and the Falcon arrived and beat back the attack.
These Avengers regrouped with War Machine and Bruce Banner at Avengers headquarters and agreed that they should destroy the Mind stone before Thanos could get it. Vision was prepared to lay down his life to do so, but Captain America suggested they take him to Wakanda, where the technology existed to remove the Stone while preserving Vision's mind. Shuri, chief scientist and sister to the Black Panther, examined Vision and found a way to re-map the Vision's brain algorithms so that they could remove the Stone; she even questioned why Bruce Banner and Tony Stark didn't do it that way in the first place. They reunited with Bucky Barnes, who Shuri had healed from his brainwashing and equipped with a new mechanical arm, and prepared for Thanos to attack. Scarlet Witch was assigned to stay with Shuri, protect Shuri while she worked on Vision and, when she removed the Mind Stone, destroy it.
T'Challa rallied General Okoye and the Dora Milaje, the War Dogs, M'Baku and the warriors of the Jabari tribe to protect the Vision with their lives, augmented by the Avengers, and met the Black Order's attack. The Order brought a horde of Outriders to unleash on Wakanda. Shuri worked as fast as she could to remap Vision's mind, but the battle came too close. Wanda saw General Okoye and her warriors being overwhelmed by the beasts and went out to save them. She succeeded with one powerful blast, leaving Okoye to quip "Why was she in there all this time?"
Unfortunately, Wanda left the lab undefended and Corvus Glaive burst in to take the Mind Stone. Vision got off the operating table and tackled him to stop him from killing Shuri. After a savage battle, Vision killed Glaive with his own weapon to save Captain America and begged Wanda to destroy him as Thanos approached. Wanda did as Vision asked and destroyed the Mind Stone, still in his forehead, obliterating Vision in the process. Thanos used the Time Stone to reverse her actions and restore the Vision and the stone. He then ripped the Mind stone right out of the Vision's head, killing him.
With all six stones, Thanos made good on his goal of destroying half the life in the universe. Wanda, Bucky Barnes, Falcon and the Black Panther were among those who crumbled to dust.
Because Vision wasn't a victim of the Decimation, he wasn't restored when Bruce Banner used the Infinity Stones. Wanda Maximoff continued to mourn his loss and talked with Clint Barton who lost Natasha Romanoff about those that they have lost.
Following the Decimation, S.W.O.R.D. retrieved Vision's body and, under the direction of Tyler Hayward, began to try and reassemble what they considered to be a sentient weapon. After everyone was restored, Wanda tracked down Vision's remains to the S.W.O.R.D. Headquarters and demanded they release him to her so she could bury him. Hayward refused, seeing him as property rather than a person. Wanda tried to connect with Vision but couldn't feel him any more so left.
Hayward used the footage of Wanda and edited it to make her look like she had stolen Vision's body so that his subordinates would believe that the Vision in the Hex was the same Vision that was killed by Thanos so he couldn't be held accountable for illegally reanimating Vision against his living will.
"Previously On" Mid-Credits
Using the energy from the 1980s drone that Wanda attacked, S.W.O.R.D. were finally able to reactivate Vision. Hayward ordered Vision to be awoken with the intent of sending him into the Hex to eradicate both Wanda and the Vision from the Hex.
Vision, controlled externally by S.W.O.R.D. under Hayward's instruction, approached Wanda and began to crush her skull until Wanda's Vision attacked him. Both synthezoids engaged in combat through the streets of Westview until inside the public library where Wanda's Vision posed the question of the Ship of Theseus. Unable to argue with the logic, Vision agreed to allow Wanda's Vision to restore his memories which had been supressed by S.W.O.R.D., so they could control him better. Vision left, trying to process what he had learned.
Vision is a polite, calm and thoughtful being in a similar manner to J.A.R.V.I.S., he apologizes to the Avengers and the Maximoff twins after just being brought to life, unlike Ultron, he values life and humanity and admires the sight of New York at night. He is also proven to be blunt when he told Tony Stark that Ultron hates him the most. He likes to reason with his enemies and will only attack when threatened. When Vision encountered Ultron for the final time, both admitted that they cannot understand humans and they are doomed to die out. However, Vision can see the beauty in humanity due to their potential and imagination and was happy to serve alongside them. He also has a sense of humor commenting in response to Ultron's disgust at his naivety that, he "was only born yesterday". This is a trait possibly picked up from J.A.R.V.I.S.'s characteristic dry wit. He is also proven to take on certain physical characteristics of his allies, possibly in emulation of them, such as when he manifested a cape after having seen Thor in his warrior garb.
Vision is one of only a handful of beings that are worthy enough to wield Mjölnir and with it the power of Thor. He is the only individual, apart from Odin and Thor himself - and, later, Steve Rogers - who has been observed to lift the hammer and use it in combat.
Vision possesses an increasingly human psychological makeup, despite his claim to Ultron that they will never fully understand humanity, he is proven to possess a desire and need to make friends. Most human of his traits is his apparent crush on Wanda Maximoff, which has led him to be shy and bashful around her, yet also very protective and somewhat awkwardly flirtatious. His naivety with romantic matters is understandable given his origins, but shows that deep down he is more human than he truly realizes based on this very human need to connect and form a close bond with a partner.
Powers and Abilities
- Synthezoid Physiology: Vision is a sapient construct, a perfect hybrid between organic and inorganic material. His entire body is a mix between a synthetic simulacrum of organic tissue bonded with Vibranium atoms, all of which are amplified by the cosmic powers of the Mind Stone to function as a living body. Originally, the body was designed to be Ultron's final form. The combination of the Vibranium and the cosmic energy from the Mind Stone embedded in his forehead grants Vision a wide plethora of powers.
- Enhanced Strength: Due to Vision's body being composed of vibranium, he is much stronger than normal humans and many extraterrestrial beings. He can further greatly amplify his physical strength to immense superhuman levels by amplifying his own density, as demonstrated by him taking down several Ultron Sentries during the Battle of Sokovia with his bare hands and grappling with Ultron while he was in his most powerful form. Given his Vibranium-enriched flesh, even when his density manipulating powers are not in use, Vision's basic physical strength is also still considerably high.
- Invulnerability: Due to Vision's body being composed of vibranium, he is far more durable than normal humans and many extraterrestrial beings. He can withstand any attack even those of immense force with no damage whatsoever. He can further greatly amplify his physical durability to immense superhuman levels by amplifying his own density; to the point where a giant shipping container was broke apart and lost all it's forward motion when it crashed into him at great speed.
- Superhuman Speed: Vision can move at blur-like speeds; Vision can also further greatly amplify his physical speed to immense superhuman levels by decreasing his own density.
- Superhuman Reflexes: Vision's reflexes are faster than normal humans and most other extraterrestrial beings. He was able to avoid being hit by Hawkeye's arrows and baton; Vision can also further greatly amplify his reflexes to immense superhuman levels by decreasing his own density.
- Superhuman Stamina: Vision possesses far more stamina then normal humans and most other extraterrestrial beings; allowing him to remain physically active for long periods of time.
- Self-Sustenance: As a techno-organic being; Vision does not need to eat or sleep.
- Accelerated Healing Factor: Vision's metabolism allows him to heal/regenerate much faster, more extensively, and efficiently than normal humans and most other extraterrestrial beings.
- Picnokinesis: Vision can amplify or decrease his own density, weight and mass at will, allowing him to to make himself completely weightless. Effects of this power include; intangibility and levitation. Vision also still retains his picnokinesis powers; even after Thanos had ripped the Mind Stone out of his forehead.
- Intangibility: Vision can phase through solid objects or other individuals; by decreasing his own density. When phasing, Vision can increase his density to destroy the object he phases through from the inside. With this power, Vision took down several Ultron Sentries during the Battle of Sokovia. He even managed to phase his fingers through Ultron's vibranium outer shell. He is able phase through living beings, such as fighting Hawkeye and going through Giant-Man's chest.
- Flight: Vision can levitate, hover and fly in the air, even without the presence of air, by decreasing his own density. He can travel through the sky at amazing speeds and at high altitudes. Vision can also control his own motion-based force to move through the air.
- Shapeshifting: Initially, Vision could only partially shape-shift, as he went from his initially "naked" appearance to red skin, and green suit complete with gold cape and red and gold gauntlets. However, overtime, Vision's shapeshifting powers have evolved to the point that he is now able to completely change his physical appearance and make himself look like a normal human.
- Computer Interface: Vision is able to interface with any computer systems or technology. He was able to hack into Ultron's programming and disable the latter's ability to enter the internet. However, the great effort involved in this task temporarily exhausted Vision, incapacitating him for a short time.
- Energy Beam: Vision can generate, create and project an intense bright yellow cosmic energy beam via the use of the Mind Stone from his forehead. The beam is powerful enough to blast away Ultron and slowly melted away the latter's virtually impenetrable Vibranium armor. Initially, Vision lost this power after Thanos had ripped the Mind Stone out of his forehead, but after Vision was rebuilt by S.W.O.R.D.; he can now generate, create and project an intense bright blue energy beam from his forehead without the Mind Stone; that is capable of destroying almost any substance in existence; Vision's energy beam is proven to be on par with the Hex Vision's.
- Mind Stone: Activated and embedded in Vision's forehead, the energy from the Mind Stone coursed through him and made him extremely powerful. As of Avengers: Infinity War, Vision no longer possesses the Mind Stone after Thanos had ripped it out of his forehead.
- Genius Level-Intellect: Vision learns superhumanly fast and can download data directly to his mind. He formulated an equation based on the events that happened over the years that led to the Sokovia Accords. He was also able to determine a method to destroy the Mind Stone via Scarlet Witch's energy blast.
- Master Hand-To-Hand Combatant: Vision is a highly skilled hand-to-hand combatant; his combat skills combined with his density-manipulating powers and superhuman physical attributes, makes Vision a formidable opponent alone in single combat.
- Ultron - Creator turned enemy and victim; deceased.
- Helen Cho - Creator through brainwashing.
- Tony Stark/Iron Man - Programmer, ally and teammate; deceased.
- Bruce Banner/Hulk - Programmer, ally and teammate.
- Thor Odinson - Friend, ally, teammate and creator through energy infusion.
- James Rhodes/War Machine - Ally and teammate.
- Sam Wilson/Falcon - Ally and teammate turned enemy, turned ally and teammate again.
- Wanda Maximoff/Scarlet Witch - Friend, ally, teammate and love interest turned temporary enemy during Accords.
- Pietro Maximoff/Quicksilver - Ally and teammate; deceased.
- Steve Rogers/Captain America - Team leader turned enemy, turned team leader and ally again.
- Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow - Ally and teammate; deceased.
- Clint Barton/Hawkeye - Ally and teammate turned enemy, turned ally and teammate again.
- T'Challa/Black Panther - Ally.
- Bucky Barnes/Winter Soldier - Enemy turned ally and teammate.
- J.A.R.V.I.S. - Part of Vision's mind.
- Peter Parker/Spider-Man - Ally.
- Scott Lang/Ant-Man - Former enemy.
- Ultron Sentries - Enemies.
- Black Order
- Thanos - Enemy and killer; deceased.
- Marvel Cinematic Universe (5 films)
- Marvel Cinematic Universe (1 TV series)
- Marvel Cinematic Universe (1 comic)
Behind the scenes
To be added
- Paul Bettany, who portrays Vision, also voiced Tony Stark's A.I system J.A.R.V.I.S.. This is because J.A.R.V.I.S. is part of the system that operates the Vision.
- In the comics, Vision was created by Ultron to defeat the Avengers, but later betrayed his creator and became a member of the team.
- Joss Whedon reveals that the Vision will indeed be created by Ultron saying he's a "synthetic, super-powered human designed by Ultron to show that he, too, has the power to create life".
- In the comics, Vision has a multitude of powers ranging from altering his density at will, the use of the "Solar Jewel", which absorbs ambient energy that can be released through the Jewel on his forehead or his eyes, superhuman strength, flight, and is capable of self-repair.
- In the comics, the Vision marries Scarlet Witch and has two children with her.
- Paul Bettany revealed that Vision will be able to control his density in the film, as he has in the comics stating; "he's incredibly good at punching, which is key. He has the ability to change his density and that is, that's awesome and exploited brilliantly by Joss in some cool moments when Vision is able to do something that is otherworldly. And he's discovering all as he goes along".
- Bettany also reveals that Vision is very protective of Scarlet Witch in the film and feels paternal to a number of people.
- Vision in the Marvel Cinematic Universe is not powered by the Solar Jewel, like in the comics, instead, he is powered by one of the Infinity Stones; the Mind Stone.
- Vision has 8:41 screen time in Avengers: Age of Ultron.
- Vison's screen time in Captain America: Civil War is 7:15.