Read on only if you don't mind reading spoilers for the film.
|Appeared in|| Avengers: Age of Ultron|
Captain America: Civil War
Avengers: Infinity War
Vision and the Scarlet Witch
- "Humans are odd. They think order and chaos are somehow opposites and try to control what won't be. But there is grace in their failings."
Ultron forced Helen Cho to use her synthetic-tissue technology to create a new robotic body using the Infinity Stone from Loki's Scepter and the Vibranium that was stolen from Wakanda with the intent of uploading his programming into a new vessel and realizing his "vision". Scarlet Witch, having discovered Ultron's extinction plan through reading his mind in the organic-metal body, freed Cho from mind control and escaped with her brother. Captain America, Hawkeye and Black Widow took possession of Cho's machinery with the body inside; Hawkeye brought it back to Avengers Tower while Black Widow was taken hostage by Ultron.
At Avengers Tower, Tony Stark suggested uploading J.A.R.V.I.S. into the body but received opposition from Dr. Banner. Captain America, Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver arrived and the heroes began to fight amongst themselves. Thor arrived suddenly, and awakened the android using lightning from his hammer. The android momentarily charged Thor and was thrown before levitating and examining his reflection in a window. He explained to the team his desire to stop Ultron and handed Thor his hammer, much to the surprise of everyone in the room. Vision accompanied the Avengers back to Sokovia to stop Ultron.
Vision, in a confrontation with Ultron, eliminated Ultron's ability to escape through the internet. He fought the drones and used the gem on his forehead as a laser beam. After the city was destroyed and Ultron was ripped apart, Vision tracked the last Ultron drone to the perimeter of the city. They discussed humanity's flaws and Vision pointed out his faith in them before destroying the last drone.
Vision relocated to the New Avengers Facility as one of the new recruits to the Avengers, along with Scarlet Witch, Falcon and War Machine.
- "I wish to understand it, the more I do, the less it can control me!"
Vision and Scarlet Witch became lovers and moved to Scotland together. Vision turned off his transponder two weeks ago to the chagrin of Captain America and the other Avengers (he promised to stay reachable). They wanted to find and protect him against Thanos, who they knew was after the six Infinity Stones. He and Wanda were indeed attacked by Proxima Midnight and Corvus Glaive and nearly defeated until Captain America, Black Widow and the Falcon arrived and beat back the attack.
These Avengers regrouped with War Machine and Bruce Banner at Avengers headquarters and agreed that they should destroy the Mind stone before Thanos could get it. Vision was prepared to lay down his life to do so, but Captain America suggested they take him to Wakanda, where the technology existed to remove the stone while preserving Vision's mind. Shuri, chief scientist and sister to the Black Panther, examined Vision and found a way to re-map the Vision's brain algorithms so that they could remove the stone; she even questioned why Bruce Banner and Tony Stark didn't do it that way in the first place. They reunited with Bucky Barnes, who Shuri had healed from his brainwashing and equipped with a new mechanical arm, and prepared for Thanos to attack. Scarlet Witch was assigned to stay with Shuri, protect Shuri while she worked on Vision and, when she removed the Mind stone, destroy it.
T'Challa rallied General Okoye and the Dora Milaje, the War Dogs and M'Baku and the warriors of the Jabari tribe to protect the Vision with their lives, augmented by the Avengers, and met the Black Order's attack. The Order brought a horde of Outriders to unleash on Wakanda. Shuri worked as fast as she could to remap Vision's mind, but the battle came too close. Wanda saw General Okoye and her warriors being overwhelmed by the beasts and went out to save them. She succeeded with one powerful blast, leaving Okoye to quip "Why was she in there all this time?"
Unfortunately, Wanda left the lab undefended and Corvus Glaive burst in to take the Mind stone. Vision got off the operating table and tackled him to stop him from killing Shuri. After a savage battle, Wanda did as Vision asked and destroyed the Mind stone, still in his forehead. Thanos used the Time stone to reverse her actions and restore the Vision and the stone. He then ripped the Mind stone right out of the Vision's head, rendering him inert.
With all six stones, Thanos made good on his goal of destroying half the life in the universe. Wanda, Bucky Barnes, Falcon and the Black Panther were among those who crumbled to dust.
To be added
To be added
Vision is a polite, calm, and thoughtful being in a similar manner to J.A.R.V.I.S.. he apologizes to the Avengers and the Maximoff twins after just being brought to life. Unlike Ultron, he values life and humanity and admires the sight of New York at night. He is also shown to be blunt when he told Tony Stark that Ultron hates him the most. He likes to reason with his enemies and will only attack when threatened. When Vision encountered Ultron for the final time, both admitted that they cannot understand humans, and they are doomed to die out. However Vision can see the beauty in humanity due to their potential and imagination and was happy to serve alongside them. He also has a sense of humor commenting in response to Ultron's disgust at his naivety that, he "was only born yesterday". This is a trait possibly picked up from J.A.R.V.I.S.'s characteristic dry wit. He is also shown to take on certain physical characteristics of his allies, possibly in emulation of them, such as when he manifested a cape after having seen Thor in his warrior garb.
Vision is one of only a handful of beings that are worthy enough to wield Mjolnir and with it the power of Thor. He is the only person, apart from Odin and Thor himself, who has been observed to lift the hammer and use it in combat.
Vision also possesses an increasingly human psychological makeup. Despite his claim to Ultron that they will never fully understand humanity, he is shown to possess a desire and need to make friends. Most human of his traits is his apparent crush on Wanda Maximoff, which has led him to be shy and bashful around her, yet also very protective and somewhat awkwardly flirtatious. His naivety with romantic matters is understandable given his origins, but shows that deep down he is more human than he truly realizes based on this very human need to connect and form a close bond with a partner.
Powers and Abilities
- Synthetic Body: Vision is a sapient construct, a perfect hybrid between organic and inorganic material. His entire body is a mix between a synthetic simulacrum of organic tissue bonded with Vibranium atoms, all of which are enhanced by the cosmic powers of the Mind Stone to function as a living body. Originally, the body was designed to be Ultron's final form. The combination of the Vibranium and the cosmic energy from the Mind Stone embedded in his forehead grants Vision a wide plethora of powers.
- Invulnerability: The Vibranium composition of Vision's body allows him to withstand any attack even those of immense force with no damage whatsoever. Since he can control his density and weight, he can further increase his already incalculable durability to the point where a giant shipping container was broke apart and lost all its forward motion when it crashed into him at great speed.
- Picnokinesis: An ability attributed to the Mind Stone, Vision can increase or decrease his own density, weight and mass at will, allowing him to to make himself completely weightless. Effects of this ability include:
- Superhuman Strength: Vision can greatly increase his physical strength to immense superhuman levels by increasing his density, demonstrated by taking down numerous Ultron Sentries in the Battle of Sokovia with his bare hands and grappling with Ultron while he was in his most powerful form. Given his Vibranium-enriched flesh, even when his density manipulating abilities are in use, Vision's basic physical strength is also still considerably high.
- Intangibility: Vision's ability to decrease his density, weight and mass gives him the ability to phase through solid objects. When phasing, Vision can increase his density to destroy the object he phases through from the inside. With this ability, Vision took down numerous Ultron Sentries in the Battle of Sokovia. He even managed to phase his fingers through Ultron's vibranium outer shell. He is able phase through living beings, such fighting Hawkeye and going through Giant-Man's chest.
- Levitation: Vision can minimize his density to its lowest point in order to hover above the ground, granting him the power of flight. He can control his own motion-based force to move through the air at great speeds and instantly stop moving while in the air by completely stopping his kinetic energy and motion.
- Computer Interface: Vision was able to hack into Ultron's programming and disable the latter's ability to enter the internet. However, the great effort involved in this task temporarily exhausted Vision, incapacitating him for a short time.
- Superhuman Speed: Vision can move and react at speeds greater than humans, allowing him to become a blur of vibrating motion when at his peak speed.
- Shapeshifting: Vision can control his synthetic tissue to at least partially shape-shift, as he went from his initially "naked" appearance to red skin, and green suit complete with gold cape and red and gold gauntlets. Overtime, Vision's shapeshifting ability has evolved to the point; that he is able to completely change his physical appearance and make himself look like a normal human.
- Mind Stone: Activated and embedded in Vision's forehead, the energy from the Mind Stone courses through him and makes him one of the most powerful beings in the universe.
- Energy Beams: Vision is able to project intense energy beams through the use of the Mind Stone. The beam is powerful enough to blast away Ultron, and slowly melted away the latter's virtually impenetrable to Vibranium armor.
- Genius Level-Intellect: Due to him being an artificial intelligence; Vision learns inhumanly quickly and can download data directly to his mind. He formulated an equation based on the events that happened over the years that led to the Sokovia Accords. He was also able to determine a method to destroy the Mind Stone via Scarlet Witch.
- Advanced Hand-To-Hand Combatant: Vision has proven himself to be a highly skilled formidable close-quarters fighter, displaying excellent combat skills that were made much more efficient using his density-manipulating powers granted to him by the Mind Stone and superhuman physical attributes.
- Ultron - Creator turned enemy and victim; deceased.
- Helen Cho - Creator through brainwashing.
- Tony Stark/Iron Man - Programmer.
- Bruce Banner/Hulk - Programmer.
- Thor Odinson - Ally, friend and creator through energy infusion.
- James Rhodes/War Machine - Teammate.
- Sam Wilson/Falcon - Teammate turned enemy turned ally.
- Wanda Maximoff/Scarlet Witch - Ally, teammate and friend turned enemy turned love interest.
- Pietro Maximoff/Quicksilver - Ally.
- Steve Rogers/Captain America - Team leader turned enemy turned ally.
- Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow - Ally and teammate.
- Clint Barton/Hawkeye - Ally and teammate turned enemy turned ally.
- J.A.R.V.I.S. - Part of Vision's mind.
- T'Challa/Black Panther - Ally.
- Spider-Man - Ally.
- Scott Lang/Ant-Man - Enemy turned ally.
- Bucky Barnes/Winter Soldier - Enemy turned ally.
- Ultron Sentries - Enemies.
- Black Order
- Thanos - Killer.
- Marvel Cinematic Universe (4 films)
- Marvel Cinematic Universe (1 TV series)
- Vision and the Scarlet Witch - Paul Bettany
Behind the scenes
To be added
- Vision who is portrayed by Paul Bettany, also voiced Tony Stark's A.I system J.A.R.V.I.S.
- In the comics, Vision was created by Ultron to defeat the Avengers but later betrayed his creator and became a member of the team.
- Joss Whedon reveals that the Vision will indeed be created by Ultron saying he's a "synthetic, super-powered human designed by Ultron to show that he, too, has the power to create life."
- In the comics, Vision has a multitude of powers ranging from altering his density at will, the use of the "Solar Jewel", which absorbs ambient energy that can be released through the Jewel on his forehead or his eyes, superhuman strength, flight, and is capable of self-repair.
- In the comics, the Vision marries Scarlet Witch and has two children with her.
- Paul Bettany revealed that The Vision will be able to control his density in the film, as he has in the comics stating: "he’s incredibly good at punching, which is key. He has the ability to change his density and that is … that’s awesome and exploited brilliantly by Joss in some cool moments when Vision is able to do something that is otherworldly. And he’s discovering all as he goes along."
- Bettany also reveals that The Vision is very protective of Scarlet Witch in the film and feels paternal to a number of people.
- The Vision in the Marvel Cinematic Universe is not powered by the Solar Jewel, like in the comics, rather, he is powered by one of the Infinity Stones.
- Vision has 8:41 screen time in Avengers: Age of Ultron.
- Vison's screen time in Captain America: Civil War is 7:15.